Controversial Discussion: Goldshire's Decadence

I can’t post images but I can post videos… so there’s the response. :eyes:

5 Likes

IP ban is a thing.

No trial ACCOUNTS on rp servers, ban them from the game.

They could make a big buck off them, not like any of them have jobs anyways.

(Though they should probably spend their money on a gym membership and some soap)

It can’t, because here we go again

I recall this being a very serious problem on Defias Brotherhood for a long time, it even began to spill into darkshire and stormwind around WoTLK.

Until one rather clever roleplayer named Fortesque decided the best way to deal with the problem wasn’t to sit on the sidelines ridiculing in disgust (not that there is snything wrong with mocking ERP’ers), but instead interact with them.

So he launched a crusade of sorts, and made it into a hub. Trying to organize events there, asking guilds to base themselves in the vicinity. Through a process of willfull engagement, condemning the behaviour in constructive ways via whispers when found, and offering superior RP alternatives, the area became pretty much a casual hub. ERP became rarer and rarer in the area, as did other indecent behaviour because low level alts and new RP’ers were both guided and carefully disuaded from resorting to or adding to the lude or obscene.

Sadly it didn’t last beyond Cata as the realms RP population plummeted, and it steadily reverted, But, it worked.

Is AD Goldshire that bad even now? What sets it apart from Razor hill or Kharnos? Is it purely because it’s the human starting area?

5 Likes

I cannot say if it’s that bad, I mean there isn’t ERP at Darkshire as far as I know, but Goldshire is just a sh*thole really, when it shouldn’t be.
What you said sound intriguing really, I always thought that some of RPers at Goldshire are new and they don’t know anything beyond ERP. What if we had the patience and put the effort to show them an alternative way? I dunno really… I have lost my faith quite a few times, lolers are not rare in Goldshire and I doubt they will even care abour alternatives at this point.
And Goldshire is basically one of the first locations that humans go. Later on, Draenei and Kal’dorei go there too if I am not mistaken, after their starting missions and if they choose to.

1 Like

What actually happened was that the place was camped by (RP-)PvPers to the point of it being disruptive to any blueshieldering ERPer hanging around over there, thus making them jump ship to the more active and sadly thriving ERP hub on Argent Dawn: An alternative that right now doesn’t exist because they can’t rope in the unsuspecting masses on dead realms like DFB.

Might want to check your memory Krogon and not spread misinformation.

7 Likes

My memory is quite on point, thank you, random dark iron I don’t know.

Fortesque absolutely launched a new RP’ers initiative and part of it indeed involved goldshire, and it did benefit the area. But you’re quite right, DB is dead, because folks moved here. So you got some of it correct, if nothing else.

However, that isn’t what the topic is about.

This is what the Horde and Alliance can unite against. ERPers

4 Likes

I would gladly accept the Horde so we can battle them lol xD
Unfortunately this goes beyond that, OOCly action must be taken and Blizzard must do something.
As others said however, this won’t happen which is just very sad at this point.

1 Like

Beware, beware, Brigante is about to post.

That is something I would have expected to be a possibility, but due to it not being implemented I came to assume was simply too difficult to enforce, but that is -definitely- one way of going about it.

I mean it is horrible that we should have to generalise in this way, but with the best will in the world, it -is- the RP realms that are most afflicted. Not even that it is the inhabitants of such realms, though some are, but because you get people capitalising on ‘Goldshires’ fame and flocking to it. Its like the Cybering version of sex tourism I suppose.

No Trial accounts on RP servers would cut down on the problem, but it kind of, I don’t know, seems a bit rough on anyone who genuinely just wants to give WoW on an RP realm a shot, without committing right away.

Maybe that is the option though. I mean people can play trial accounts on other servers and get a feel for the game itself, and presumably they will have read a book in their lives, or watched a film, the idea of portraying a role that is not yourself is not going to therefore be an alien concept…

Without a much more stringent response to in-game naughty hi-jinx I can’t see how the situation will ever improve, sadly.

1 Like

Well, trial accounts cannot rp unlike class trial characters, so I think the grand majority of those who make such accounts and come to AD are the erp fiends.

This is something we should petition blizzard to do, as it would help eliminate and clean up goldshire. The first step is obviously banning offenders, shocking that they haven’t done much yet.

1 Like

Ah, you are correct, I am mistaking trial accounts and class trial characters, fair point.

I just don’t understand why it is allowed, and it is ‘allowed’ by Blizzard’s refusal to act upon it even when reported. I mean I have reported public ERP’ers I have no idea whether it did any good or not, I mean would a petition work? I seem to remember that Blizzard don’t like the idea of such, even if, in this case, it being a good cause and backing their ToS.

Banning trial accounts. Well, I have a friend of mine, an RPer who didn’t want to pay for subscription, which is respected seeing how this expansion is faring so far, it could have been better. That friend of mine is new but a good one and he just started paying again. There are trial accounts that aren’t ERP chars… but a major portion of them are worsening the ERP problem. Doesn’t mean we have to ban -all- of them. It’s more complicated than that unfortunately.

1 Like

Inform the devs, ask them on twitter…

They have shown that they can listen to their community.

1 Like

Some years (?) ago there was some major ban wave that was to combat the situation in GS. Though as you can see by today, it did not do anything.

There is no point in starting a crusade against it since the irony would be you get punished for targetting a certain individual. Or you just target a trial account.

And what would that be?

The only solution that might help is put GM’s back in game. They can investigate then and clean GS completely. But Blizzard gave up on ingame support since it costs too much money or something. Because after all it’s about the money and people playing ingame. Why would they want to change that?

I forgot to mention: the recent banwave in GS was because they were meddling with game files. Not even because of the ERP. This should show you how much Blizzard does not care.

I was so hopeful for the concept, but tbh I should have realised it would just end up attracting thirsty belves.

They were right to ban it.

5 Likes

You answered your question. GM’s could do things, but Blizzard just cannot do that for now, yet it is not a problem they can let to exist for too long.

Well, not really a ban wave. Blizzard is still monitoring TRP/MRP activity because I have reported some really over the top obscene profiles in the past and I can verify the offenders were banned.

They just don’t monitor the place nearly as much as they should.