Covenant abilities are a poor design choice

Lot of people are min maxers? No they are not. Only small fragment of playerbase are.

Some people will play for fun? No lot of people plays just for fun.

Considering I got denied into +8 with 430 ilvl don’t underestimate how sweaty the playerbase can be. Also an entire ability can make a huge difference in numbers, it could make or break your rotation. If balancing isn’t handled properly I can see some spec only be viable with a certain covenant ability.

Can’t argue with truth :flushed:

2 Likes

Well, if people are being so “elitist” that’s a problem in the community not the game itself.
Regarding the abilities, I forgot to mention in my other replies but I doubt they will be something you will use in the main rotation, I’m expecting stuff with big cooldowns to save for a specific moment, or situational stuff you will only use sometimes.

Not until talent you would change to would have big impact on the encounter. If the differences would be small it wouldn’t be a problem, but with anything meaningful it would be a big issue - and the point of talents is to have an impact.

1 Like

But you can’t even do this, if they make all of them in a similar style to the dk ones we’ve seen there are clearly some made for tanking some for m+/aoe and some for raid/singletarget. you can’t even select the one that is good for your class if they do them like this.

Even better then, choose the one that gives what you want or covers a weakness in your class/spec or that fits your playstyle better. What’s all the fuss about it then? It’s not like your class will be trash without the “right” ability, looks like people are seeing it that way, see it instead as an extra for what you already have.

2 Likes

But why not just let me change between them, so i can have fun while i aoe AND when I single target, so i don’t feel like sh*t everytime i switch from my tank spec to my dps spec. It’s not good system, there is no need to put abilities behind it, lore/cosmetic is more then enough. Just give us back talents ffs.

Because that’s exactly the point of the covenants, picking one and stick to it, make a choice and accept the consequeces. Players became too spoiled by being able to have everything any time, first you had dual spec that was expensive AF, then it got cheaper, then no more dual spec, have access to all specs for free any time you want. Choosing a spec is basicly meanigless nowadays, where did the power of making a choice go? And now everybody is crying because of 1 ability like it will break the game, please… People are seeing this as the removal of options, I see it as “you will have something extra for your class/spec that you wouldn’t have otherwise.”

2 Likes

And i say give us talents, this will be the third THIRD expansion in a row we don’t get talents and get some stupid third party power up. No one like the fact that the ability was attached to the weapon and that i got removed, no one like passives to the azerite and that they will be lost, no one will like losing the covenant abilities. this type of thinking doesnt work in modern wow, i don’t want to spend half my gold to change talents, it was a sh*t system and people were very happy when they added dual talents pages in wotlk. Why does this game try to regress the changes people liked and doubles down on the one they didn’t

Who said the covenant abilities will be removed afterwards?

I mean, we have two examples that this is what they do first of all, second of all with the new leveling system you would be forced to do shadow lands on all your alts to levl which is something that goes against what they said about leveling in the next expansion. Why do you think they will stay is the questino here, all proof we have says 99% they will not

No matter the case I refrain from saying they will do X until there is a confirmation. Yes it sucks to lose the abilities afterwards, but I’m hoping they learned from the previous examples. Either way, I like the fact that you have to make a choice and stick to it, there is already too much of “you can have it all” in the game. I don’t know why people play a game with so much variety and yet can’t pick something and go throught with it.

1 Like

Fair enough, but cosmetic and lore should be more then enough. it’s not fun to never use an ability for all of the expansion because “MeAnInGfUl ChOiCeS”.

I can agree on that, lore and cosmetic should be enough. I too at first was reluctant with the abilities part but then I thought better about it and started liking the idea, it kinda makes the choice more impactful. Also hypothetically you will be able to do something that 3/4 of the other players of the same class won’t be able to do, gives a bit more uniqueness aswell I guess. I say hypothetically because each class/race will gravitate more towards 1 or 2 covenants than the others, it won’t be a even 1/4 split for each. For example I don’t see many Forsaken Rogues picking Bastion or Ardenweald.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.