Dead servers MEGATHREAD - Ghostlands/Dragonblights plea to Blizzard

Thats probably true, but back when the first dead servers ‘happened’ many transferred away to another server, and thats $$$ for blizzard, but now its possible most just quit… still blizzard neglecting to do something real about the problem instead of non solutions, its their own fault, ofcourse they could have fixed the problem.

2 Likes

It would make the game feel so much more alive and actually like an MMO if they combined multiple of the servers. In truth though, Blizzard just want money from the realm transfers. If they could look beyond that, then that would be amazing. Hope we get some more light shun on this topic.

3 Likes

Best of luck. Hopefully if people put the numbers in front of their face « we know for facts what’s going on » instead of them being able to hide it they might feel forced to react.

They haven’t so far.

Blood and thunder.

2 Likes

@Burton: Blizzard elected another type of approach, given that at that time, the options were far more limited. Basically, in many cases they went more in the direction of trying to make the weaker side to be “minimum viable”. It is also worth remembering that far back things in general were different than today. After all, we ended up having a TEN-way server, consisting of many realms that were way too weak on BOTH sides…

Additionally, to put it bluntly, many of the FCM (free character movement) programs simply outright failed (my opinion) as many players from severely overcrowded realms still refused to move, which would have helped the weaker realms.

All of the above actually led to a situation, where closer to the end of Connected realms program, I managed to guess (based on the info from WCR and other sources) many of the remaining connections before they were actually announced and carried through… deep sigh

In hindsight, certain things could have gone better. There were several problems (some probably rather severe, though I am not privy to the details) up to and including certain connections failing, getting postponed and in some cases probably outright canceled. You may recall the fact that the program was actually outright interrupted for a while, costing multiple weeks (almost two months?) of time and actually barely finished before the next expansion launched.

There were also at least a couple of cases, where I sent out “emergency messages” as “Breaking news” had outright faulty information. If my recollection is correct, one such news item prominently announced that Silvermoon would get connected, when it was supposed to say that Silvermoon would be taken down and offline for extra maintenance (server replacement? <- my theory).

1 Like

Such Servers make actually no real point anymore in modern WoW. It used to until MoP but after then realmwide LFG got introduced realm transfers etc etc.

Sub numbers are declining and this also heavily effects smaller servers.
I think it would be better if they take all the Realms on each Language/region and just merge them together to like 5-10 big servers so dead servers won’t likely be a thing again

3 Likes

Who were you then? :slight_smile: I was a shaman/druid in Blood and Tears through TBC and early Wrath. Late Wrath and through Cata I was druid tanking in EAS. There’s something special about tanking Arthas that I’m not going to forget quickly :slight_smile:

…none of us were very dedicated, despite bumping shoulders with a couple of other guilds for server firsts. 4-5x 3-hour raiding nights as I recall, nothing by modern ‘serious’ standards. Was still a great time to be playing.

I still have a bunch of Alliance characters on Ghostlands, in a friendly casual guild… but I have to admit, my raiding character was on Magtheridon since WoD, and is now on AD.

1 Like

This.

Sharding makes it so that the ONLY thing that’s not actually x-realm is guilds. Just let us do that too, and we’re sorted.

Communities can come very close to guilds in atmosphere and events, but you miss out guild achievements and useful things like shorter HS times.

2 Likes

@Alewin: A tiny correction: AH is also still server specific.

4 Likes

So noted :slight_smile:

…I may have known this since I cheesed it a bit by buying/selling a couple of battlepets x-realm for a decent profit at the target.

In my defence, I needed transmog for my RP character!

But back OT, I’m not convinced that the individual server economies make any sense. It has been… many years since we had fresh realms. I joined Ghostlands back in the day because it was brand, spanking, sparkling new, and a stack of copper ore cost just 20 of the finest silver coins. It was awesome while it lasted; but now it’s just as ruined as the rest. IMO we should suck it up and move on by merging it all. Some realms will get a price drop; others a price rise. This will pass.

It may pass like a kidney stone, but it will pass. And seeing as we’re in the age of the million-gold boost, I’m not sure it will even sting on the way.

2 Likes

Wait, there are servers with multiple people?
Earthern Ring says “what?”

1 Like

Transfer to AD. It’s positively busy in Boralus.

Sharding made me think the world had far less players than it really does, but moving to an RP realm let me see the whole server, and it is glorious.

1 Like

Have you ever asked yourself why it is called Ghostlands? Now you know

5 Likes

careful, paid transfers dont help the situation overall. :frowning:

1 Like

I agree.
Al Akir was during TBC great live realm now it is also dead

1 Like

I wish something was done about this. Atm we are forced to get 6-10 pugs on our bod mythic runs. First 3 bosses can be managed but after that it gets increasingly difficult. You will always have to relearn/readjust your strategy based on the comp you have. Also you may end up with people that really is not fit for mythic.

3 Likes

That was good burn but unnecessary like ouch.

1 Like

Something needs to be done for sure.

Imo, situations like this cannot be avoided when so many servers are available. I get that there was a need for them, especially since WoD’s horrible launch and 5k queues.

But that was then, and this is now, and I think it should be clear to Blizzard that people want active servers, as everybody and their mates floods to servers like Ravencrest, Draenor, Silvermoon and so on.
Nobody wants to play on dead servers, and sharding or 50 layers of crossrealming won’t ever change that.

They need to migrate player’s on the lowpop realms through free transfers… and close up to 50% of the available realms, to even fix it

3 Likes

You got my support. The situation is absolutely dire, and it’s ridiculous that Blizzard does nothing, ABSOLUTELY NOTHING, about this problem. There are hundreds and hundreds of dead servers, and everyone is congregating in just a handful of English EU servers. If you aren’t on any of those servers, you’re going to have serious trouble finding guildies - and so do we. And no, CRZ is not an appropriate solution to this problem.

4 Likes

If they really don’t want to give in and merge/connect servers then they need to offer something on the low pop realms like more xp/gold to make them more attractive for people to go there.

6 Likes

They really need a fix on this, recruiting new members is a pain with this low population people. Even 2 other servers connected would help alot. If i can see all those other people at capital cities why not merge them completely with the servers ? They also need to see how many play on horde side and alliance to balance things.

1 Like