Dead servers MEGATHREAD - Ghostlands/Dragonblights plea to Blizzard

How many enemies do you have when you feel the need to start a post with this? :open_mouth:

Also, I agree. More servers need to be connected. Auchindoun / Dunemaul / Jaedenar arenā€™t fairing much better.
Itā€™s a pain trying to find active people to recruit.

1 Like

Transfer money, had to pay 25 to get my main over. But afraid the other alchemist has to follow, Ravencrest AH is expensive herb and alchemy wise and laggy outside of nights. So by not fixing my own realm they earned ā‚¬ 50.

2 Likes

lol, none that i know of really, but i think i may rub people up the wrong way sometimes cause there seem to be a lot of people who seem oblivious to some facts, like the difference between timesinks, and timegating to name but one.

but this topic is too important for it to get derailed by other things, so i put that disclaimer at the start just to try make sure that anyone who has disagreed with me heatedly in the past will hopefully not bring it up here.

we need something to get done about dead servers :frowning:

4 Likes

I had no idea Ghostlands had died off! I have had my first Belf Rogue on that server, which I kept at a low level just to pvp off with the twinks.
Fond memories :smiley: but I am sad to hear about the fate of the server. Iā€™ll hold on to the good times!

still such a massive issue and the issue of dead servers is popping up more and more in threads when connected to other things, often the true health of wow.

is there any news on this. iā€™ve still not heard anything further from the CMā€™s iā€™ve emailed, and no blue here.

also i am unaware of any other plans since Ionā€™s interview over 2 years ago or so.

can we have some sort of firm update please, and actually back it up. the way Ion talked 2 years ago in relation to the Brazillian tests made it seem like they were actually doing something. obviously that hasnā€™t been the case. we need actions, not raising hope with no results.

1 Like

BfA will become a wasteland in 2 weeks until last raid patch!

1 Like

Probably, going to great to be able to play on populated realms in Classic, rather than the shells of realms I have my toons on in Retail.

1 Like

Definitely will be better experience than what we have right now and world PvP! Unfortunately end game content is bad and people will have to comeback to retail in couple of months!

1 Like

I agreeā€¦:+1:

2 Likes

As someone also playing on an Alliance-dominated realm (Emerald Dream-Terenas) I very much empathise! Weā€™re having issues with getting enough people to raid and guild recruitment is difficult with a very limited selection of players. Out of 50 guilds on our realm with any progress on normal EP, only 9 are Horde.

Iā€™m assuming that, if the other faction population is large, then servers wonā€™t count as being dead and the outnumbered faction just has to deal with it or spend a whole lot of money moving elsewhere. Itā€™s not great, especially when the list of servers gives no indication of faction balance so new players have no idea if theyā€™re choosing a less favourable realm.

1 Like

So, we have a thread about someone changing jobs and itā€™s full of nice replies from official posters. This, which is a real issue, is an ignored thread.

2 Likes

Mmā€™yeah for some reason they just spend most of the time on feel-good threads.
Not saying they couldnā€™t but even the obvious ā€˜blue baitingā€™ ones are being replied to.

MVPā€™s do a better job when it comes to informing players, might be better to give them a bit more access to devā€™s/artists/ā€¦

1 Like

i think i know the one you are talking about. i thought about posting basically what you said, like ā€œwtf, seriously?ā€, but it wont help, and if anything, people will jump on me to defend the blues saying im being a big fat smelly ugly meanie. did i miss out any other internet insults? xD but yeah, i do wonder what the point of blues are at this point in the forums :frowning: i may email the CM again.

hmmmm is there a blizzcon this year? and if so, when ish? i may try keep this thread running till then, and if there is still no reply, then bombard the CMā€™s again.

also, if anyone is going blizzcon and gets a chance to ask a question, this would be a great question to ask!

3 Likes

So when are they going to do something? Next expansion? I for sure wonā€™t stay until then if I cannot raid hc/mythic with my guild.

Pugging is just not my cup of tea.

1 Like

I feel quite sure Blizzard are acutely aware of the issue. Threads are different.

You donā€™t want a Blue post in your thread. A Blue post does nothing for you. You want a solution to the problem.

Blue posts in threads about problems are at best useless, and at worst create more problems.

Blue posts can be very useful when conveying information, whether that is info that is already available but not well known or not clear, or new information about decisions.

Blue posts can be cheerful in general-chatter threads.

Blue posts can sometimes be helpful in gathering feedback.

Blue posts are Black Holes in general feature discussions or discussions about known problems. They distort gravity and suck up all around them, making the thread about the Blue post rather than the issue.

When a Blue posts in a discussion about an agreed problem, all that happens is that the whole thread piles on the Blue, as if they personally were the cause of the problem, with more demands to fix it, as if a CM could personally magic servers into existence or make realm connections with a wave of their Blue wand.

I donā€™t know who in Blizzard, what set of people, make, can make, or will make decisions about connecting more realms. Iā€™ve heard that after the last set of connections, itā€™s ā€œnot possibleā€ (which I translate as ā€œawkwardā€ or ā€œdifficultā€ or ā€œweā€™d have to develop a different methodā€) to connect more. I donā€™t know about that either.

But I know for sure those people a) arenā€™t posting here, or reading here, and b) are looking at some kind of Big Picture map of the next two or three years, in which a lot of things, often very uncertain, may or may not be happening.

And I know for sure that no CM is fully in the loop on this, with a detailed understanding of the feasibilities, upsides, downsides, costs, tradeoffs.

So nothing that a CM can tell you is of the least use to you.

I know that itā€™s frustrating. I have been so frustrated myself with several decisions that I have wanted to scream at them.

So by all means keep the pressure on. Keep the thread going. Gather more support. All that helps.

But donā€™t think that a Blue post would be any kind of progress. The only progress that means anything to you is when Blizzard Central decides they are going to DO something. Meanwhile, Blue posts in threads do nothing.

4 Likes

With classic releasing soon the situation will become worse. People will be leveling for the next month or so which will potentially halt any progression through mythic cause of lacking player count.

1 Like

Iā€™m sorry but whilst agreeing with your post it doesnā€™t invalidate my comment. Iā€™m a semi frequent poster and when I saw a CM leaving, and having a thread about him leaving is nice and all that, I was still a bit, dunno unhappy, with the low, low engagement most threads have from CMs.

I donā€™t have it in me to whine, this is a trend in the gaming industry where thereā€™s more engagement on Reddit than on official forums. But itā€™s not something I like and thus my comment.

1 Like

ā€œI ahve served these forums for 5-7 years!ā€ I donā€™t know if it was 5 or 7 or maybe just 4 years? I didnā€™t recognize any blue name, thatā€™s how active they are. Thatā€™s like your boss announcing he is leaving and he never showed up to work in years. ā€œWait who? He was my boss?ā€. These community managers donā€™t have to post all the time but could be nice if they did time from time so we know they actually exist!

3 Likes

I have said it a dozen times and I will say it again. they -NEED- to close servers, and offer free transfers. I think we could do with 2 PvP servers, 3 Pve and just one RP server. Maybe a bit more.

That, or they could use some of the store money (hue hue) to finance megaservers. One PVP, one Pve and one RPā€¦ eventually just one server.

2 Likes

They know itā€™s an issue but they havenā€™t had any news for us in a long time. The question comes up regularly, they can clearly see their own data.

At this point I think they would be better off rebooting FCM even though that was originally used to move people off busy servers to quieter ones. Just do it in reverse. Offer free transfers to other servers and get rid of the dead ones. The problem with transfers is that many will lose their names, unlike with merges where they still retain the server name to differentiate between duplicates.

As someone else pointed out they are less likely to want to go this route because closing servers means they are actually admitting there are less players now. No amount of CRZ or sharding is ever going to make up for the lack of server populations. Cross realm raiding isnā€™t fun when you canā€™t share resources with each other. Yes you can have community chat but itā€™s not the same.

I have been on a dead server and moved at my own expense. I donā€™t think itā€™s reasonable to place that cost on the players. I am on two busy servers, Draenor for Horde and Silvermoon for Alliance.

1 Like