Disconnects when underwater on Mac M1

In WOTLK Classic: When fighting underwater (i.e. the Vile Reef quest in STV), I get disconnected instantly when one of the casters shoots a frost bolt at me at the moment of impact. Fighting melee mobs is ok. It’s clearly a graphic issue that causes the disconnect and it would be nice if it could be fixed. Problem occurs on lowest settings and on the highest settings.

Basically it’s getting hit by frost bolt, disconnected, reconnect, back into game and being too late to prevent drowning.

Odd as it may sound, this is almost certainly not a graphics issue, and also not a problem of the game per se - this is very likely a connection stability problem in disguise.

More specifically: the mentioned spell includes a movement-affecting component, and if the player character is out of sync with the game server said movement cannot be processed anymore. This triggers a disconnection, as the server cannot move the character where they actually should be - and to get out of sync in that fashion it almost always comes down to undue losses/delays of data packets between computer and realm.

If the Mac is currently connected via Airport/WLAN (which is notoriously vulnerable to delay/losses in data packet transmission), swapping to an ethernet cable connection instead may be all it takes to get things back on track. Beyond that, it may be worth a shot to try a VPN to change the external connection route - similar issues could occur if any of the network nodes the internet company routes the signal through is troublesome, and a VPN may allow to bypass said nodes. :slight_smile:

I never have disconnects like that in WoW. At the moment of impact I am not moving. The frost bolt connects and I get disconnected. I understand what you’re saying, but I am not moving at the point.

It’s just too much of a coincidence that this happened like 8 times in a row. My internet connection is rock solid and I know, because my job requires it. It really does seem like an issue in the Apple Silicon version.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.