Discussion: Deaths and Resurrections

If ressurection was so easy, how come Tiffin Wrynn wasn´t ressurected? Or Anduin Lothar? Or Thoras Trollbane? Or Orgrim Doomhammer? Or any other character killed by conventional means (so no magic or runesword that sucks souls) for that matter?

There are so many examples of important people who died prematurely, yet nobody even suggested that they could be ressurected. Could it be that it´s actually quite difficult and those mobs ressing other mobs are one of cases where Blizzard wasn´t consistent with how their lore works?

Also, that Krasarang NPC was ressurected only because her father sacrificed his life to do it, transfering his life energy to her. Just a tiny detail you omitted.

4 Likes

Because plot required Tiffin or Anduin to stay dead.
I also heard that the more mighty or powerful/famous a character is, the harder it is to resurrect them.
If that is true, no Player Character would ever be powerful enough to be difficult to resurrect.

No, the Krasarang NPC I am talking about is the priest NPC at the alliance base.
Do your research before you try to one-up me.

So priest at Alliance base (I suppose Lion´s Landing) ressurects people in the same zone, where in the main story, elf dies and the only way to bring her back is through magical waters that drain her father´s life to save her, despite the fact that actual leader of Sunwalkers was there and he couldn´t bring her or his wife back.

Tell me, what is more important for the lore? Story of the game, books, comics or any other media used to tell lore of Warcraft, or NPCs that (for all we know) were placed there by intern number 238?

Also, where did you hear that power/fame thing (especially the fame stuff)? Feel free to share your sources.

2 Likes

Consider “The narrative” as an actual force in WoW (Narrativium or somethin’); does this ressurection serves or hinder the story? Then proceed.
Some important characters stay dead because their death serves the narrative better. Some get to rez in complicated way because Narrative. Others in huge number because they have barely any influence on the story. That’s more or less it, in the universe.

1 Like

Death need not be the dramatic end, death can easily be a mere setback for heroes and villains alike, as long as the right tools where set up or a moment of luck struck them.
perhaps the hero did die, but a spirit healer took pity on him or her?
maybe you did kill the evil guy but did you consider he had a soulstone or allies who can ress?

Perhaps that feel cheap to you, but I consider both valid story reasons for why your character can continue to live, that said I like to enforce a little game mechanic called “resurrection sickness.”

losing a fight need not mean death is the only consequence, you can be left mortally wounded or the enemy can have left you at the brink of death believing they already killed you but didn’t bother to check a second time.

I agree it shouldn’t be downplayed, it is a real threat but a gunshot to the head or an arrow to the head is not always an instant kill, luck can be on your side and you can survive, however now you have a bullet in your nuggin’ which may move about if you aren’t careful and kill you that way.

I carry one with me, however I nerf it to say, it can’t regrow my body, if someone is smart enough to gut me to pieces then I’ll need a new body.

that is the answer I would imagine, that and the rule of cool.
also mind you some of these died in the RTS days when the lore wasn’t so super high fantasy as it is today.

I don’t remember. If anyone here heard this as well, let me know.

Blame blizzard. Lame but true.

I guess you’re right. Comes down to a difference how we view RP.
RP to me is simulating the world and characters. What happens happens.
The story writes itself based on what the characters do, instead of me writing the story and basing what the characters do on the story I want to tell.

That’s why I don’t like when one group says Resurrection is hard and dont RP it, and other says differently.
The contradictions make the RP awful because who then decides which character is right? The one who says “I resurrected people before it isn’t hard.” or the one who then gets passive aggressive “Oh? You must be blessed by the Naaru, or as mighty as Velen himself!” or a similar type of response.

wasn’t like

aegwynn gathering her power or whatever i don’t remember for years only to ress medivh

and he wasn’t even a normal human after that

what i’m trying to say is

stop damn including game mechanics and bad questionable tbh quests in rp
half of them are jokes anyway

we’d not have buzzboxes if not for this

ankh sure
soulstone sure
but ressurection like it’s nothing no

i mean
maybe…

sure
if performed by 999999lvl priest occasionaly

Unless it’s convenient and serves your narrative, of course, right?
Who decides when which quests and game mechanics are valid proof and when they aren’t?
I will tell you. If it’s good for our argument, we use it, if not, we dismiss it.

no lol
and that’s all i’m going to say

it’s like Dorlas said
Novels, comics, lore > random quest 2342343121321312

We do have a quite long, and well-written questline ingame following a soldier dying in Northrend and wanting to find his way into the light.

And ressurection isnt mentioned anywhere.

WoW had a big problem when it comes to the story with both healing and ressurection, it shifts so drastically between what can and cant be done according to the whims of “this is cool”

Perosnally I’d say avoid ressurection in roleplay. We can dicate the way we play/write out roleplaying stories completly anyway, so if you really dont want your character to die off, dont have them killed, but instead injured. This to avoid a ressurection case.

Or kill them off, but make it permament. Thats my opinion on it.

I would like to be able to roleplay the high fantasy aspects of the setting, including resurrection cases or other things people usually cry about (cleansing diseases etc springs to mind).

But it seems people are far too afraid of resurrection and similar features.
Does it really challenge your writing so much that you instead choose to try disabling it from your roleplay entirely?

1 Like

Stories without tension = boring, considering the fact that death is the ultimate danger of an adventuring lifestyle, removing the tension from such dangerous situations results in rp, that is, from the perspective of a reader/audience, boring.

P.S. I’m not saying that you cannot build tension in other ways, but the threat of character death is one of the simpler ways to do it.

P.P.S. Once the characters in your story realise that they don’t have to fear death, expect some very wacky and zany choices, because they know they’ll get back up anyway.

4 Likes

no it’s literally
high fantasy is cool
i don’t give a damn about death because everyone can bring me back every 2 seconds fantasy
isn’t cool

2 Likes

You misunderstant me. I was not here exposing my opinion (though I do not mind a ressurection as long as it serves the story and come with consequences, such as how Alryette explained it) but rather how it seems to work in-universe in WoW. Sometimes the npc can resurrect people, and sometimes they cannot, and the only common point in all those situation is “That served the plot better”.

1 Like

Until you realize how scary that would be. Or are you interested in dying multiple times and being wounded over and over, knowing a ‘friendly’ priest keeps throwing you back into the fray?
That’s far more interesting to RP (in my opinion) than “Oh no resurrection so scary, my only investment in the story is completely destroyed because I no longer fear death”.

I’d imagine that it stops being scary once you died and got ressed for the 600th time that day.

4 Likes

Not nearly as scary as being dead. Lost forever to the infinite void. Only your friends will carry your memory now, perhaps never even to realise your hopes and dreams.

3 Likes

Roll a Forsaken or a DK, right? Literally THIS but worse. Also, endless ressurection completly ruins the idea of the scourge of undead even existing. I’m sorry, damn.

3 Likes

Daily reminder that we’ve seen evidence of undeads, best example Sylvanas, being -terrified- of what awaits in the afterlife.

Only ones who doesnt seem to fear it is light-worshippers or some few night elves.

3 Likes

I guess that depends on the afterlife in WoW.
I was trying to show you could make resurrection interesting and add twists to being resurrected many times over and over.
It could develop the character. Change their view on life/death. Slowly shave their personality/soul away, one resurrection at a time.
You don’t have to nerf the resurrection itself.