Does it count as profanity in name?

I had a guy whisper me saying that he would report my name for profanity, since it contains “Wtf”. I asked him if he was joking but he said I can really get banned or forced to name change because of that. It doesn’t even contain any swear word, just an acronym…

So I am wondering, is it true that I can be forced to name change or even banned because of my name ?

Well, Blizzard are always telling us to delete the wtf folder, so I guess they don’t like that letter combination much :thinking:

11 Likes

I mean I get where the name hints at, can’t say I’m not intrigued. :eyes:

1 Like

Probably will force a name change if it gets reported tbh

I’ve seen names that are not even close to being profanity being forced to change before because someone misconstrued it and, no offence, but it’s pretty obvious what your name means to most people so :woman_shrugging:

Personally I think it’s fairly petty to report it though.

4 Likes

The naming policy is pretty short on details these days:-

If enough people are offended by your choice of name you will probably find yourself getting flagged for a rename.

4 Likes

In Nagrash’s WoW utopia everyone with a stupid non-rp name would get flagged :drooling_face:

Alas I have no such power, but yours doesn’t actually contain the F word so you should be fine.

5 Likes

I interpret your name as “Watch the fish step bro”

What’s wrong with asking “where’s the fridge”?

2 Likes

So if you have a guild named “The SS did nothing wrong” it’s okay because it’s an acronym?

You used an acronym to bypass the rule that doesn’t allow you to have the F bomb in your name. Also, that “allusion” isn’t very smart either.

3 Likes

Okey fine but if report me for my name then its a bad maner move …

But I am still amused that if ‘wtf’ is offending someone, would same people be mad at wtf folder too ? By the way who do not know how ‘wtf’ got its name in game files, its 'warcraft text file’.

But regardless having wtf - in a character name is just poor taste.

1 Like

No you’ll be fine. Says more about the guy and if he does report it Blizzard will laugh and just dump it where his report belongs.

What does the “wtf” even stand for in regards to the wtf folder… I just read it as the what the f**k folder really.

edit: Oh it stands for Warcraft Text File :sweat_smile:

3 Likes

I mean… You’ve used poor judgement in your choice of name and maybe some people will find it inappropriate. That’s on you. Choose better in future if it causes you problems.

But you’ll just be flagged for rename at worst unless you make a habit of it.

2 Likes

“Warcraft text file”. And I am certain we all read it out loud like "what the f… "

6 Likes

Are you seriously trying to compare The SS to “WTF”?

And are you seriously offended by someone having wtf in their name?

First world problems…

5 Likes

WTF folder is not banned so.

3 Likes

Would my name be ok on RP realm?

You’d be surprised what we’ll tolerate if you aren’t also being an obnoxious twit :slight_smile:

OTOH, nobody would want to engage in RP with you because… obviously not serious about it.

Probably it’d get flagged yeah, -this said- most people on RP Realms use an add on like MRP or TRP, and in that, you can put your characters actual name, so when people look at my character they don’t just see the blue text over my head, but they’d see ‘Brigante Summerisle’. Likewise I couldn’t get a name I wanted for my human female Squaddie, so just went with ‘Dewilde’ but anyone with the RP Add ons will see her name as ‘Ginette Nixon’

So if you were on an RP Realm, with your Blood Elf with blue text over their head, if you also had an RP Add on that stated your character name was in fact “Aileroth Sunbough” Then most RP’ers would just be like, “Ahh, they -are- actually a serious character then, No point reporting that, its just petty”

Its how I’d look at it anyway. I don’t necessarily like overly OOC names on RP servers, but sometimes people can’t get the names they want so use the add on approach, which is just fine.

3 Likes