DPS bursts and wiping

Can’t people just wait like 2 sec for a tank to get aggro before bursting their CDs?

Did a Malygos 10 raid and before he even landed people was bursting, resulting tank couldn’t aggro and even reach taunt max, so he turned and wiped the raid?.. Seriously… 3 sec, shouldn’t be too hard to wait.

Well the DPS brain is simple, number big = did good (even when it results in a whipe)

Im just going to guess that they blamed the tank as well

No sense.
If you want big damage you wait for the 2 stacks of spark for burst.

Every tank has at least two taunts and threat shouldn’t be an issue if the tank knows how to play and isnt massively undergeared tho.

I’m a bit confused what you mean with reaching taunt max

Diminishing returns. If you taunt too often the boss goes immune. However that should not be possible with only one tank taunting/AE taunting.

My bet is that the tank taunted when he was in the air and had no taunt CD left when he landed. Why he would do that is more of a question. Start taunting when you can actually hit it and it should be fine.

The boss became immune to taunt.

too many people only interested how much dps they can do and how much the parse will look. that’s all.

if its a PUG. remove them from the group or loot ban them. simple

DK tanks don’t have this problem. Immense threat generation at 20 yards.

Also doesn’t matter, when people bursting DPS whenever he’s attackable. You can’t generate enough aggro, without blowing Taunts, and then he becomes immune to taunts.

If the tank can’t hold threat from me blasting as soon as the pull timer hits 0 then of course I blame the tank. I don’t have this problem in my guild though, maybe find a better tank. Wotlk threat is a joke.

2 Likes

Had this problem yesterday on 3D. Had a couple big crits and drake switched to DPS, taunted then he immediately switched back to the DPS.

Deathgripped and 2 seconds later it flipped. Was in frost stance and had no misses/dodges.

A similar/better geared DPS nuking a mob from the get-go will over aggro the tank of a similar level.

Problem is that tanks today follow wowhead guides on gearing their characters. Content is so easy that you dont need so much mitigation, you actually grief the healers parses when you stack up so much avoidance and mitigation. Tanks need to go more offense with the gear and dk’s need to cry less when tanks roll for silent crusader.

Don’t you bring a hunter or rogue for tricks/md? Should be good enough for the initial build up.

1 Like

If you can taunt the boss (not sure if malygos is tauntable tbh) then it matters not. As the taunt put you top on threat and you can work from there.

1 Like

sure does, when the tank can’t do anything in the air. So while the threat may be top with taunt, he/she can’t do anything to generate threat.

Thats why you “rest” while he is in the air then do a Taunt, IT , IT, BT, IT as he lands. Problem solved.

I can imagine many DKs panic IT’ing and such prior to taunting, only to be “dry” when the taunt lands and they should be pulling ahead on threat.

Guess BiS lists cant compensate for thinking.

Can be used if something unexpected happens also, MD has quite a low CD. Just call it out if ur a Tank, Im sure the raid prefers a Hunter missing a GCD than a pumper dying.

1 Like

the problem is DPS fixation on Parse.

It harms the Raid not at all for DPS to wait for the tank to gather some threat - and as tanks have different styles of play, gear and threat generation DPS should be looking at their threat meter

The OP makes a good and valid observation that in Raids and Dungeons you will crash into players who want maximum DPS and speed and it very often causes a wipe unless everyone is in similar gear and has the same skill level - especially the tanks and healers.

GO Go Go DPS can be quite cancerous

I’ll let you into a secret - topping Parse doesn’t clear Raids - teamwork does

1 Like

The hunter doesn’t even lose a global cooldown, it stays active for 30 seconds and will only trigger on first attack. Then in 30 seconds it becomes available again, it’s a no brainer to use on combat start.

Then again, you can expect dps to wait for 3 seconds…

A good distracting shot followed by a feign death also usually does it, on dungeon bosses at least.

There are exceptions for this, such as Patchwerk: if you sprint at him before tanks put him into position, you will die to Hateful Strike.

If you got tricks/md there should be no issue.

You are a paladin? If you dont pop wings pulling with exco you are trolling.
Wings > Exco > HOR > AS.

As a warrior you should have a good idea on who is bursting high threat and put vigilance on that person. On patch you heroic throw, shield slam, revenge and shockwave.

DK? Icy touch, thats like a taunt.