Druid armor contribution from items in Bear Form on Wrath PTR

Greetings.

If I recall it correctly, during WotLK most items granting extra armor (ie. TBC druid tiers for example) got their extra armor removed, and also the Armor Multiplier for Bear form was changed to include only “base” armor of items, so the extra armor of some remaining items (like some rings or the Badge of Tenacity) did not get “multiplied” but just added to our final armor value.

This resulted in some drastic itemization changes after the prepatch and during Wrath itself, as now rings and trikets granting extra armor were mostly useless for us (the Badge of Tenacity, Kara rep and other armor granting rings…)

Nevertheless I’ve been tinkering with my druid in the current WotLK PTR, and seems the second part is not working as it was. Equipping armor rings or the Badge of Tenacity does indeed get the Bear Form Armor multiplier applied to them in full.

Also, while most armor items did indeed lose their extra armor (the tier or dudu Gladiator pieces), some items like Guilded Thorium Cloak still retain their extra armor values, and also the Druid Bear Form armor multiplier is affecting them in full, including the extra armor segment.

Is this working as intended, or is something to be addressed before WotLK launch?

1 Like

Yeah us loosing like 8k armor isn’t enough! Remove more of it, please.

Well the most important thing, would be to replicate wotlk how it was, right?
(Although there has already been a lot of changes, including some minor and major class balance changes and Druids have been nerfed already (Omen of Clarity comes to mind)).

Dire Bear Form Shapeshift
35% of base mana
Instant
Requires Druid
Requires level 40
Shapeshift into dire bear form, increasing melee attack power by 120, armor contribution from cloth and leather items by 370%, and Stamina by 25%. Also protects the caster from Polymorph effects and allows the use of various bear abilities.
The act of shapeshifting frees the caster of Polymorph and Movement Impairing effects.

And

Survival of the Fittest Rank 3
Talent
Requires Druid (Feral Combat)
Increases all attributes by 6%, reduces the chance you’ll be critically hit by melee attacks by 6%, and increases your armor contribution from cloth and leather items in Bear Form and Dire Bear Form by 33%.

They quite specifically state, that they increase value from cloth and leather items, so not rings and trinkets. (I’m not sure if a cloak is considered a cloth item, I know it sorts under it in the Auction House, so maybe :slight_smile:)

As to the individual items being changed or not, I can’t say, but im fairly sure its either bad wording on these 2 effects here or a bug

Not getting any of the extra armour applied from any of my rings trinkets or my tanking cloak guessing that’s a bug?

Pretty sure it has been fixed, I am also not seeing any additional armor anywhere

Hi.

Yes, this has been broken in the PTR for quite some time, but thankfully it works fine now on the Prepatch live release.

We druids have more than enough survivability even with the lost armor.

In fact, we are now more durable than ever, even with 8k less armor, thanks to the new/modified talents (like Survival of the Fittest buff, or -12% ALL less damage taken thanks to Protector of the Pack), Savage Defense new skill, Bear Form Barkskin (massive improvement here, as it’s not limited to physical damage like armor, but also affect bleeds and magic), usable and glyphable Frenzied Regeneration, Survival Instincts (finally a Last Stand-like ability for bears), and so on…

Armor nerf was, if anything, a godsend, as we don’t have to worry anymore about adjusting for the armor cap, and we can now take other more useful stats.

1 Like

Yes, I have since the post done research and tested out tanking. And I actually feel chunkier now than before. And as you said, it lets us put less focus on armor. And I also feel I don’t have to skew towards threat when gearing at all. Threat is not a problem now.

Doesnt matter if we are tankier now than before, everyone has gotten immensely buffed now in the prepatch… All other tanks are way more powerful now also, both in survivability and threat, so what really matters, is that it should behave as it did back in original WotLK.

What youre saying basically corresponds to you saying “Blizzard should nerf fury warriors and fire mages this time around when ICC comes out, because they are way too strong” for example.

It is what it is, and what it was on original WotLK.
We lost a good chunk of armor, yes, and we got instead mechanisms to compensate that, and then some. All classes were buffed with the pre-patch, and we bears were too. In some scenarios, as much if not more than other tanks, so I don’t see the problem here.

And frankly, I dont understand a word of you second paragraph, and don’t see any relation of it with the matter in hand.

We are in a pretty sweet position compared to other tanks.

• DKs were insanely OP on the original Wrath release, (and at lvl 70 they still are probably), but on WotLK Classic, based on 3.3.5 stats, they should be on a much better (ie. balanced) spot at 80.
  • Paladins were always a bit overtuned in Wrath, in part to compensate for their miserable time during TBC, and in part because both the first tier (Naxx) and the last tier (ICC) are undead-centric, against which they excel.
  • Warriors are always the gold standard for tanking, and they still are for the most part on Wrath, as a very balanced and resourceful class.

But most often than not a competent Druid bear can deliver comparable performance to any of the above, (sometimes better), while being more versatile overall.