Druid Races Too Limited!

The Tidesages seems to be a combination of shamans and mages, from what I have seen and read. They have nothing to do with druidism.

Have you done the Kul Tiran allied races questline? The Thornspeakers play their part there as well. Not to ignore the fact that Drustvar is an important part of Kul Tiras. Like with the druidism mostly having it’s root in Drustvar(originating from the Drust), the Tidesages have their main land to be Stormsong Valley. The reason why you are seeing much of them in Boralus however, might be because of the upcoming events with the Old Gods. Stormsong Valley on it’s own, were pretty shallow to begin with, and didn’t contain as much story as you make it sound. The zone is huge, but was filled with “filler quests”, which had very little to do with the Tidesages. I missed loads of info about them when questing through the zone, which was one of my complaints from the beta. It didn’t change much for live either, but we are getting more of that now, due to the connection with the Old Gods. The Stormsong Valley questline starts in Boralus too, so obviously you’re going to find them there.

If you look at the last Kul Tiran zone, you won’t see much of the Tidesages or the Thornspeakers, because those zones aren’t built around that. That’s where you find the outlaws related to what’s going on in Boralus. Sure, all 3 zones are connected, but saying the Thornspeakers aren’t playing an important role in Kul Tiran society is mostly you not paying attention.

A stag that walks around in the forest of Drustvar, and can function as an innkeeper btw. At least for me, but might be a druid only thing, I am not 100% sure.

It’s a Druid only thing. There is an other Wild God which is in the cave of Ulfar and joins the other Wild God at night.

Well, the races that can be druids have to have some sort of connection to nature in one way or another.

Like Kul Tirans and Zandalar, one has the drust and their whole anti death forest thing, Zandalari have the Loa wich are basically wild gods.
Night elves have their trees, Darkspear have their Loa, Tauren have the earthmother.

This is the same logic applied to who can be a shaman, they need a connection to the elements, Kul Tiran have water, Dark Iron have fire, Tauren have earth, Trolls again have their Loa that represent different elements like air and water and whatnot.

A Dwarf druid doesnt make sense lorewise because they are originally made out of stone and metal and have no connection to nature.
Same with gnomes and humans.
Blood Elves are trolls that traded their connection to nature for the arcane and thus lost their ability to be druids and shamans.

I guess you could make an argument for like Pandaren but hey

It’s not anti-death though. It’s balance.
They believe in the balance between life and death and how both are necessary for the betterment of all.

Yes, but we know Blizz doesn’t care about the Pandas, so…

You do realize that two of the Alliance druid races are humans?

Worgen and Kul Tirans. The Kul Tirans learned druidism from the Drust, the Worgen from the Nightelves(which btw cursed them into worgen). That said, I don’t remember the exact story of the worgen.

The Drust druids are about maintaining balance in the world. Pretty sure that is the main connection between all the druids though(balance), but I am not “done” with all the druid lore for all races.

Btw, real life druids were pretty wicked the way I have understood it. Creepy people who did shady things out in the woods(witchcraft?), never quite found a good description of it, but apperently it is a irish thing from the past. Totally unrelated, but hey.

I need to go see Ulfar more often…

Night elves did not cursed them though … it was Gilneans’ fault. They called druids of the pack from the Emerald Dream.

Gilneans have harvest witches for quite some time, so they only enriched their knowledge + Kul Tirans are learning druidic magic for a long time, there are even Wild Gods walking in the woods of Drustvar.

Ofc Blizz took mostly the name - druid from real life, but druids are appearing in this way for a long time in fiction universes.

Honestly, I wish there were more info about the real life druids. It was the WoW druid that made me Google it at some point, because I was made aware that the Sami culture in the nordic countries have shamans(and they have the power to curse lands to protect it, according to their culture), so then a lightbulb popped above my head :joy: I wanted to figure out if druids were also a real life thing. And yes, I know many other cultures IRL have shamans too. Or at least that is my impression.

Yeah, the thing is that RL shamans, druids etc would be closer to WoW warlocks in many cases XD

Scythe of Elune? Cursed them into worgens because of it? I thought druidism was taught the Gilneans as a gift because they cursed them in the first place, but I guess I need to go back and read it again. It’s been a while.

Not the Sami shamans. They are just very tied with the spirits of nature, and protect and speak to their land, as far as I’m aware. I have some sami in my family, but never really spoken about shamanism with them though. Maybe we have some Sami here on these forums that would care to fill me in…?

1 Like

The Scythe did not cursed them, at least I do not recall it. They summoned druids of the Pack from the Emerald Dream to help them fight the undead and that caused the curse to rise. There is even at least one NE Worgen in Felwood, because originally all “Worgen” were Night elves, who chose dangerous path to fight the satyrs.

Ofc not all of them … That is why I’ve written in many cases. It was also different throught history of those cultures/nations.

How this thing can cause so much damage?
Pats her Scythe of Elune

Did really the scythe cause it? I guess I need to go and level my Worgen rogue then X)

Well, that is what I meant. I recall that part from the vanilla questline in Ashenvale, regarding the Scythe of Elune. I later filled that in, but it’s been a while.

1 Like

I’ve just reread about it on Wowpedia … I completely forgot some parts of the story.

1 Like

Oh yeah, I saw that.

Made me Google Sami shamanism again :joy: It is actually pretty cool(all these minority beliefs we have hanging around), but shame it doesn’t work as in WoW :joy: (or perhaps good…!)

But yeah, I guess my facination of those things might explain why I love WoW so much. It builds on it, and make a pretty heavy storyground for pretty much anything.

1 Like

You aren’t alone. I’ve probably forgot a lot of details too. I am very into when I read it, then some parts might slip when I try to re tell.

I am no red shirt guy, that is for sure!

2 Likes