Dwarf voices and characterisation are racist

This is in fact true though, booze in the U.K had a minimum price per unit imposed due to Scotland.

In June 2012, the Scottish
Government passed the Alcohol (Minimum Pricing) Scotland Act 2012.
The Act amended the Licensing (Scotland) Act 2005 and paved the way
for the introduction of MUP.

And this.

Heck, even my grandmother and her generation had a different accent and choice of words than I do.

Language change as we speak it.

My kids don’t use a spesific sound in words, that my generation does. That sound is said to be dying from the norwegian language.

1 Like

I’m English and I hate how garbage Kul Tirans and Gilneans sound, but I’m not stupid enough to call it racist.

Is this thread a troll or what?

This. It’s pretty much just meant to be a tool to diversify how the races sound, and to curry the idea they don’t speak the same way as each other.

The reason we liken them to human dialects and accents is because they’re pretty much all we have to work with. It’s bad enough writing an entirely new language for a fictional race, but imagine trying to come up with a completely new accent that wouldn’t simply be judged as a “bad” attempt of some pre-existing accent. It’s simply not possible.

Therefore imitations of real-life accents are used to portray this. They are also probably used to “nod” towards certain mythological themes and tropes as well. E.g Dwarves are typically portrayed with Scottish-sounding accents. Trolls have African-Heritage accents (be it West-African or Jamaican) which is a nod to the Vodou themes they have going on. Gilneans are clearly a parody of Victorian England with the fascination with the macabre and supernatural- hence the Gilneans have dated Londoner accents. So on and so on.

1 Like

And why draenei sound Russian in English client and French in Russian client, how I know what stereotype they represent then ?

But in all seriousness I am tired of all this snowflake culture and accusations. Warcraft universe has just a lot of different races, and I find it is great that they sound different. So bloody what if they sound like some nationality or language in real world - even tolkien stole portions of his imaginary languages from existing languages. Nothing is unique and in vacuum.

Do people really lack something in their life that they always have to complain about something without even trying to have fun and let things slide by.

1 Like

Gary would disagree, the Scots are a race.

No one cares. Keep woke trash to yourself.

2 Likes

this thread is nourishing

1 Like

Dwarves=/=Scottish. The dwarves have had the same accent in WC3 too.

They’re dwarves. In a fantasy world.

1 Like

nothing racist about it you old sweaty sock…lol

1 Like

Sums up America perfectly.

2 Likes

So what’s your opinion on Moira’s accent?

shes the worst

she’s an actual scottish person putting on a sh*te scottish accent to accommodate american ignorance

uncle tom

Luckily enough, I’m Italian and I can’t really tell if their accents are right or wrong. And luckily enough, no one in wow tries to fake an Italian accent as far as I know.

We do have a similar issue though: in our translation of the game, all speak a non-accent Italian except for trolls. Who have a strong Naples accent and dialect (sometimes I find it difficult to understand what they say). Now, they’re probably voiced by Naples actors, but I’ve always found strange that they had to have a unique accent. Also, being primitive and tribal as they are, giving them a southern Italy accent doesn’t seem like the nicest thing to do, since we already have lots of bad stereotypes about Southern Italy… But, who cares, honestly.

Azeroth cries out in pain… she needs ya champion. Caress her gently tae let the wee lass know everything is gonna be alright.

Lets not go there shall we

1 Like

I’m glad that you knew that, otherwise I’d be taking the piss by suggesting that we get the likes of C U Jimmy or Conor Macleod to do the voice acting. :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m glad that my local accent doesn’t turn up in games all that often but when it does it’s usually well done. I don’t find the dwarf accents in WOW to be particularly jarring but I can see how they could be to a scot.

1 Like

Well this is a classic case of political ultra left wing liberal numpties spitting out their cornflakes out in disgust over the accent of a dwarves in WoW I think the OP must be quite deranged and unable to understand it’s a fictional world and the fictional races in it could have any accent under the sun and dwarves happen to be this accent. But hey what’s new.

1 Like

well this is a classic case of people who type things on the internet they read elsewhere but dont really understand

I think this poster must be quite deranged and unable to understand when what the political left and right were never mentioned, vary from country to country and are merely social construction designed for people to put things they like and dislike in convenient little boxes

I must admit, this started off a bit trolly, but its developed into a fascinating study into how people think others should act and behave.

Alot of people seem to think they have the right to tell other cultures what they are allowed to find offensive

If scottish people find bad impressions and stereotypes of them offensive, then no non scots have the right to tell them they can’t

its like telling black people or japanese people (for instance) that historical caricatures of them of them from the 40’s and 50’s weren’t offensive because people not impacted by them didnt find it so

for the record, I dont actually find the voices offensive, but was more interested in the debate and findings

the findings are that most people are horrid

1 Like

I just hope you understand I did say that in humour because the world to a greater or lesser degree now is barking mad when it comes to political correctness and so on and everything we say no matter how well we put it still ends up offending someone in some way. I was looking at a wider picture on answering at the bigger picture your thread reminded me of. It’s by no means an attack on you but it’s how my brain in humour responded to something that made me laugh out loud.

I did read your comment I do get your point but it is what it is sad I just hope you can see what was said was in jest not an attack on you that was no way intended at all.

1 Like