Favourite Villains?

Not so random thread, but in all of the Warcraft universe who’d you say are the most interesting villains from lore.

My mix is between the first orcish invasion orcs, corrupted and bloodhazed supported by a plethora of dark magics and influence. Stuff like Gul’dan, Ner’zhul, etc

And finally the Sha from MOP, whilst I didn’t like how they looked model wise, their concept was very cool and interesting, manifesting on doubts and pride to sow a tumour like affect on Pandaria.

pce, gford

1 Like

Lich King.
San’layn characters.
Xavius.

I just like them.

An interesting topic – in an age in which Shadowlands delivered Sylvanas and the Jailer, which villains, when we look back, were instead successful? Which villains left a strong impression on me?

I used to be a huge fan of Kel’thuzad – the idea of a prophet of the damned, with his own cult of followers looking up to a dark god – that was great. In the story, he was the evil sage, the Merlin of Arthas, so-to-speak (which of course gets an honorable mention, but I wouldn’t name him as one of my favourites). Overall a solid character, but over time he has grown more stale and his role was reduced to a “cackling evil maniac” which happens to be power-hungry.

Another great villain, for me, was Illidan. While his role in TBC was limited by a lack of story-telling tools, his presence left an everlasting mark on the game and made everything feel more vibrant and tense – let alone his role in WarCraft 3, in which he often bordered between a hero and anti-hero, his struggles in a heavily norm-based culture resonating deeply with a lot the fanbase.

But overall, I must say Pandaria’s storyline deserves a special spot. In a world of world destroyers and gods of death, villains in MoP were just nailed: the sha personified an inner struggle which perfectly reflected on the inner flaws of the Horde and the Alliance, while the Thunder King was an impressive character on its own right (“We don’t need a god, we have the Thunder King!”). The Island of Thunder still resonates with me to this day. And of course, one may hate or love him, but in all of this chaos, Garrosh’s development kept shining. MOP was a golden age for WoW storytelling!

Daniel Brock DEMON

6 Likes

I’ve always liked Kil’Jaeden as some sort of archetypical mastermind type of villain, looking at other characters that come to mind I can’t help but notice the same pattern. Kel’Thuzad, Mal’Ganis, Putress, generally villains that tend to sit back and have a long term plan in which everyone else can be seen as a pawn.

1 Like

Always been more fond of the down to ‘earth’ kind of villains like Edwin VanCleef. Someone without a massive backing of Fel, Void, or Magic.

Deathwing…

“…PAIN…”

:hammer:

“…AGONY…”

:fire:

“…MY HATRED BUUURRNNNS THROUGH THE CAVERNOUS DEEPS…”

5 Likes

Deathwing will always be my favorite Warcraft villain.
The Lich King as well, someone who was a thousand times more imposing and threatening than his apparent cosmic “boss”.

3 Likes

Dude this is so easy to tell. Burning Legion!!! I still “cry” that legion is over (didnt play tbc back then back tried classic from my dad’s account), it is my favorite expansion so far and i just miss it so much. I like all the concept of the burning legion and the demons and the fel it is just so unique so warcraft. I even have burning legion wallpaper in all my devices and ofc the epic boxes etc. Second villain i would say the alliance. I like the faction war a lot too. But i love arthas and azshara more for sure

Azshara
Elisande
Yazma
the Amani trolls

Arthas the Litch King is the only correct answer to this question. No matter of your personal opinion, that guy had an awesome character arc and he is the soul and the spirit of this game. When non-wow people see Deathwing, they think it is just a random corrupted dragon, Thrall and Garrosh are just two random orcs, but this dude with his cold eyes and unique armor, and of course who can forget the legendary Frostmourne is an instant association to this game. Everyone has seen the poster where the Litch King stands tall and proud and Frostmourne is right in our face, which makes him an instant fan favorite.

Next one imo would be Garrosh. He was everything I have ever wanted horde to be. Just your regular bad guys, I don’t like this concept of Ying-Yang, “there is good in the evil and there is evil in good” never really worked for me. We are the Horde, from the first second we are fighting for our place in this world, and we are still going strong!!

Arthas
Edwin
Gul’dan
Garrosh
Zul’jin
Azshara

For me it’s gotta be:

Arthas
Zul’jin
Deathwing

Azshara.

Ever since I learned about the vast history behind the Night Elves, I was always intrigued by their former Queen as a villian!

Close second is Illidan and then Xavius as third!

1 Like

Lich King

I like the Sha as well.

That’s like asking a parent to pick a favorite child.

1 Like

Teldrassil would not have burned under Azshara. she would have destroyed Sylvanas and her army in a matter of seconds.

Lol…thats funny, because it may be true, Azshara and Illidan and co may be been well able to deal with Sylv n the Forsaken, unlike Tyrande and Malfurion.
Azshara beats Sylv imo, and Illidan literally kills Nathanos is about 2 seconds tops, and their lieutenants I would bet would beat Sylvs lieutenants

Thunder King (and I also found the Sha very cool).
Deathwing pre-last patch of Cataclysm.
Elisande was also interesting.

If we’re talking about PvE encounters, Imperator Mar’gok. That fight was so fun for me, but I can’t remember if the character had much going on beyond the raid.

(honourable mention for Cenarius solely because of SACRED VINES, ENTANGLE THE CORRUPTED)

Garithos.

But we all know he did nothing wrong