For WoW shadowlands, should I upgrade my graphics card or processor first?

I currently have a PC running an intel i56600k and a GeForce 1060 3 GB.

Technically both are below the recommended requirements of WoW Shadowlands but I can only upgrade one at a time, some months apart. I was thinking of upgrading to a GeForce RTX 3060 Ti (Or AMD equivalent) and an AMD 5600X (or intel equivalent).

I currently have a 1080p monitor running at a refresh rate of 60 Hz and while I am quite happy with 1080p, 60 fps now but am looking to get a 1440p monitor once I upgrade my graphics card and processor.

The graphics cards are going to perhaps take some time to be readily available given the current situation. Both upgrading the graphics card and the processor (plus the cost of the motherboard) , would cost about the same.

I would welcome any of your suggestions, thanks in advance. :slight_smile:

EDIT: I incorrectly said “minimum requirements” when I meant to say “recommended requirements”

Both are above.

6600K with OC should still be good unless you want bleeding edge FPS in big raids and big BGs. or other games…

I would look for GPU and then a display - I would recommend ultrawide 3440x1440 - extreemely good for WoW and overall - while much less pixels than 4K.

In the end you would need to upgrade CPU + motherboard + RAM. Prices and availability for 5600X or 5700X should normalize while 10750K 10850K are available but in low demand :smiley: so sometimes show up on sale on black Friday and other things.

3060 Ti or the upcoming RDNA2 cards, maybe even 3070 at a good prices are good options. RDNA1 - 5000 cards can give “bad experience” in terms of stability due to hardware level bug - but in the end the price will decide - either it works from the start or it does not so easy check. Super discounted 2080 Ti / 2080S maybe also (but they must be below 3070 and 3060 Ti respectively).

dont know where you have taken the minimum requirements from but those specs shuld be just fine. im running max settings fine with my 7700hq and a gtx 1070 (laptop).

New CPU’s will just sell out at the moment. Can see even Intel having that issue when 11th gen is released. Covid has really messed up on supply with these products. That and those using bots to buy everything out from various online shops.

Looking at it, any current new generation of CPU or GPU is out of stock right now. Last gen being 3000 Ryzen, 9th or 10th Gen intel and RTX2000 series cards are in stock.

Situation could improve next year but at the moment a lot of things just don’t have the stock to offset the scalpers taking it all.

Which is the main problem at this time.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.