Forum improvements

will correct it with english having 50 times instead of 3 like universe : past present future not quite easy to write it in right “time”.

Thank you for correction.

1 Like

I didn’t mean it as a correction for you Holystyle, sorry if it came across like that :slight_smile:

I was trying to say for English speakers it may at first read odd, but if we take a minute we can work it out. I have great respect for people that post on the forums when English is not their ‘mother tongue’.

1 Like

I instead of some here love /like when people correct me so i learn what i did/wrote wrong.

So go ahead.

2 Likes

It was just fine for me to understand as a native speaker, just from the title it was enough of a pointer.

Grammar is not so important I think, we improve gradually over time anyway. It’s same as if I talk to somebody outside, I don’t sit and correct everything they say or tell them to, I just try listen to what they convey and sometimes they also ask me “can you tell me if that is correct?”.

Pretty much, especially when you have to put up with folk who completely bypass everything you try to express because they don’t like how it written or can’t afford a little bit extra to understand. Some people try to say it in a way that would help you improve, others are just being :clown_face:

2 Likes

This has been a problem since early Usenet, where ignores were far more frequent than here. I don’t think it’s going away.

You have no authority here DEMON! BEGONE!
The power of CHRIST COMPELLS YOU!
:laughing:

2 Likes

Its the best way of learning local idiom and slang as well, I found this out when I was in Germany. Despite being pretty darned fluent in German I was still being told new words and slang by people I happened to talk to, and also how sentence structure is not the same as you get taught in schools.

It actually made the language seem a lot more fluid and easy to use for me.

See when I criticised that sentence? I was criticising the -sentence- not the grammar itself. I knew what you were trying to say, just as a statement it was all bark, no bite, so there wasn’t really anything to engage with as a talking point. I mean yes, the grammar was a bit absent, but as Emje points out, I can lecture people on their English when I am perfectly fluent in -Their- language, and not before then.

The problem is that you came straight into the topic insulting people. That isn’t just ‘reading the room’ wrong, that is deliberately coming in, flicking the V’s at the crowd and then expecting them to listen when you start to talk.

You need to self moderate, basically. “Can I make this statement without unnecessarily insulting people?” “Yes I can” “I’ll do that then, then people will not simply roll their eyes and think I am an idiot”.

I mean if you’re -trying- to wind people up, then fill your boots, but if you’re trying to make a serious point, you don’t start by alienating your audience by calling them children. See what I mean?

2 Likes

Was very specific to not do that in that case i would be banned already.

it might be part of a greater conspiracy. be careful my friend, finding and exposing the truth can have dire consequences

2 Likes

Flatearth knows these things…or is he part of ‘The Man’? Who can we trust?

The point I think Brigante is trying to make (and one I tried to make earlier) is that starting a thread with:

The bolded bit is an insult. You are basically saying that everyone who disagrees with you is a child. I know that English isn’t your first language and I guess that you might be thinking that for it to be an insult it must include swear words etc. but by saying that these people are 9 year olds you are implying that they lack the brain power or intelligence to deal with you properly.

1 Like

Insults are aimed at someone specific since forums say they are 12 + it is not insult and you should stop assume X or Y is at you as mods like to ASSUME.

No you are assuming and YOU are implying such things like i ever said such things.

Stop taking your ASSUMPTION as something what is written 2 different things.

In English calling some a 9 year old is calling them a child and that they lack the knowledge to be able to debate with you like an adult. I know that English isn’t your first language but this is most definitely an insult in English.

Starting a thread with that sentence is never going to go well.

1 Like

so you can say who i have called like that then?

Or you just take what is written then ASSUME what you want and read it differently and beyond what it is wrote.,

Words have meanings and mean exactly that you should not ASSUME and change meaning of words to fit what /how you want to read it .

This will be sexists " girls/women" assume and read/take words totally differently and make up stuff beyond original meaning of word.

You don’t need to specify anyone for it to be an insult.

The forums are, as you say, 12+, starting a post with the sentence you started it with is basically like me walking into a room and saying half of the people in this room aren’t able to debate with me properly.

As for words having meanings, true but they also have nuance too. This is true in all languages. The way you say something can change what it means quite drastically. This is one of the unfortunate drawbacks of the written word as it loses nuance in this regards.

1 Like

I got banned for 24 hours the other day for quoting someone and telling them to give me a break. :joy: Apparently it’s classed as trolling.

The modding on the forums is definitely comical.

1 Like

There is difference in that i love word games for what i have wrote i did not said they are you just took it like that.

You said that not me.

And I have never said that I thought you were implying me, that is the problem. I don’t think you called me a 9 year old but you just threw it out into void.

You are still insulting people even if you don’t target them by name as you know who you are talking about.

They are just bunch of ASSUMERS who twist words read them differently beyond meaning of word from dictionary to fit their twisted ideas what was originally written.

@Osangar So i insulted “VOID” be happy then.

1 Like

What words have I twisted?

You called other forum users of a 12+ forum 9 year olds. What did you mean by that if you weren’t also accusing other people of behaving like children?