Forward Look: A Good Night Elf Future (for a change) - what it could look like

Copied from MMO champion. Good vision of where the Night elves could or rather should go. It’s the sort of future I think works well for all night elf fans - and it doesn’t leave anyone out.

The big effort for the Night elves many have been waiting for and so for disappointed with the fast fixes. Something I feel they are really are due after so many knocks, nerfing and canon fodder sacrificing.

It also looks up for a change, makes clear the night elves are recovering, getting stronger and more powerful, but also employing the full aspect of the race not narrowing it down and without losing what their cores are. It is the sort of thing I feel blizzard would probably do if they were really interested in Night elves and wanted to actually develop them well, with improvements and gains instead of nerfs and losses - making them the sort of titanic race they described in the WC3 manual yet fitting well with other racial powers like humans, orcs , undead etc.

It’s long a long read: But basically Hyjal is there new capital and it explores how the night elves operate in a post BFA/SL world after a timeskip of a few years.

Night elves need to look and fair well for player fans to be happy again over them.

Neat huh. I like it because it’s big and comprehensive, night elves feel like night elves but not pathetic weaklings weak kneed at “human” potential but rising up and pulling themselves together.

1 Like

I only skimmed it, but… The idea is to ressurect the dead of Teldrassil, build two great Nelf capitals and relevant outposts all over the world, backfill lore about the social and political dynamics of the half dozen nelven groups, and essentially recreate an independent nelven empire that trough superior magic/tech is about unassailable now?

Yeah… well, good luck with that. I guess if that is needed to make nelf fans happy, you are bound to die miserable.

3 Likes

I mean, we are all entitled to some healthy wistful thinking and all, but people should really try to adjust their expectations to the fact that the entire game isn’t meant to cater to their own particular preferences.

What i mean is, sure, that would be your own opinion regarding what you’d like NEs to have.

But please, scrap the “Should” bit.
Because no, creating some custom experience that somehow makes a race meddle across several continents and the affairs of at least 2 other playable races, is the sort of entitlement that no race should have.

I’d love to have a Zandalari experience where they somehow welcome the entire trollkind under their banner and dictate the terms of all the territories that encompass such. Forcing their hand on any race that dared challenge them much like they did in the old times.

Or have Orcs start a war campaign to claim the entirety of Draenor, while booting the Draenei back to Argus and making them renounce every territorial over their land.

Still, this is, again, wistful thinking. And stuff that given both meta and narrative barriers, can’t and shouldn’t happen.

Not gonna deny that it was a nice read.
But if you are indeed setting your expectatives based on THOSE sort of terms…oh boy. No wonder some NE fans complain that much.

2 Likes

Ofc we are… I love wishful thinking. That’s the heart of fantasy. You want to feel cool and powerful.

The thing about wow, is that this is tied to your race too. You are tied to your race in a detailed way, this is good ofc, but also it means that you feel for them and ofc you look for them to be improved.

You don’t dissociate yourself from the race, just because your character is powerful and successful brings no satisfaction, I think this is because your character has almost no identity. You might as well be a raceless, genderless and often but not always a factionless adventurer (sometimes hero, sometimes leader).

Your class feeling special is directly tied to your prowress and skill with it - you don’t need your class lore to be great, but it helps, this is because the way you interact in the world is chiefly through your class.

What I’ve noticed, is that people are excited when their race does well, they feel attached to it, they feel great when their race is powerful and effective, they hate it when their race is terrible.

When you really love a race, you want to see it do well. Blizzard crafts such detailed identities and lore for them, you fall in love with one and you feel tied to it. It’s all tied to the roleplay, it’s the race that provides the fantasy you adopt when you make a character and pick a class.

This is why people want Highborne customisation options for Night elves, wanted demonic DH customisations, its why they want Farstrider customisations for their blood elves etc - these have powerful unique fantasies and lores to them, and the story and race become very important to the players.

If it wasn’t, no one would care that night elves are destroyed in a rubbish way, or look crap in everything they do. That they’re homeless, have no city, lost a lot of cool features etc even when those features don’t affect gameplay.

I agree.
But if you take it and suddenly assume you are entitled or have some “right” to fulfill it…You are certainly bound to get quite some disappointment.
Because you are certainly not entitled to get anything. Much less so, if it comes with a bar set that high.

In short, this thread is about what you’d like NE to have, not what the race “Should” have.

1 Like

I don’t really. I think that’s more extreme as an elf thing. Fantasy elves are kind of meant to be perfect, at everything. It’s hard to point to the flaws of people who are the greatest of magicians, chosen by the gods, in harmony with nature, well-read, eternally young and beautiful, master craftsmen and… well, essentially good at everything they put their mind to. I guess the typical elven flaw would be arrogance, but… well, it isn’t exactly unearned arrogance when your people are the next best thing to gods, as seen by the primitives arounf them.

And if that’s what you are rooting for… Well, there is no way for them to fail and fail and fail without being out of character, is there? These masters of everything natural and supernatural should never fall short in a power comparison to “lesser” races, at least not without betrayal from the inside or power that can’t be expected by the enemy. I mean… they had millenia to prepare for anything, including the Legion, and to master about every skill worth mastering, didn’t they? It’s insulting to think a 30-year-old orc could just best that.

And I don’t mean that unsympathetically. I think that this is a real problem. Other races, like my favoured gnomes, come with a host of personality flaws, each of which could lead to catastrophe for them without it ever being out of character. Yeah, so the gnomes build the ultimate deus ex to defeat the threat… just to have it malfunction at a crucial moment. It’s still a feat of impressive ingenuity, it just wasn’t ready in time. Maybe because of their disorganization, because a whole team was preoccupied with the ideal user-friendly button setup, and would have gotten to the redundant power lines later on, if they had time.Not to mention their physical inferiority against about everybody. Gnomes can be smashed again and again and again without it feeling wrong to a gnome fan like me. The survivors just have to get up again, fix a smile, and start again afterwards with the same optimism, and I’m okay.

And most races have some great flaw like that. Orcs have their anger issues, trolls their traditional savagery and resistance to change, dwarves are stubborn and impulsive, goblins see everything through their greed, forsaken are rotting corpses, in need of constant maintenance and with severe mental disorders…

There is always something to point to, to justify their failures. There is no reason for their empires to be eternal. With elves, and possibly draenei… I’m just not sure.

Humans and their “potential” are a whole different matter, though…

2 Likes

Sadly, there’s no future at all for the Night Elves with the current writing direction Blizzard is taking. They are removing everything Night Elf related from the game, they already removed Teldrassil, made Ashenvale a Horde zone, took away their entire civilian population and soon their leaders.

It’s not long until the race is completely gone.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.