Future Stories: Cosmic Energies

Hi,

(God, that’s some thread spamming, but i feel like sidetracking existent threads isn’t really the way to go).

Anyway, in the Q&A, Danuser pointed out two things regarding the games cosmology:

1. Chronicles are written from a “Titan point of view”: Basically, he is leaving open a door for them to tweak and apply the kind of retcons they feel like writing, and shield themselves from critics by going “Well, what Chronicles say is just a point of view, and they were simply wrong on that part”. Thoughts on this?

2. This expansion they are going to centre themselves around Life vs Death dichotomy, but they feel like the Light vs Void thing is still to be explored. This bit came because of a question regarding Yrel and the Maghar, and they referenced it by saying that it was a lore bit they wanted to keep in order to possibly expand on it in the future.
    They did kind of point at “Yrel going crazy with the Light”, so the indications are there regarding she would be one (or the) antagonist on said story. Thoughts on that?.

Again, pardon me for the thread spam, i just felt like not muddying existing threads with tangential issues/discussions.

2 Likes

Well… at least we can be sure now that there is no objective lore source. Why write a book your character might ever get to read, or a book solely focused on giving the player background infomation about the world they play in, if you can just make it a god’s musings for himself that doesn’t satisfy any group? From now on “but it’s in the Chronicles!” can’t be used ro stop some useless discussions. We might always get a “That’s what the titans want you to think!”-comeback.

2 Likes

I feel like that defeats the Chronicles purpose.
As far as i recall, these were supposed to be a kind of encyclopedia.

I know how much these writers despise getting their “creative hands” tied with their…plots…but those books are one of the few they should’ve never messed around with.
For good or ill, those are supposed to be a staple and reliable source that narrates the setting and history of the game from an objective/detached point of view, untarnished and free of character opinion or influence.

Them going this way…not good.

And this phenomenon kills whatever argument around the story anyone might have, as there will be no reliable source that shields us from an already lacking and dubious portrayal (already limited to ingame restrictions).

I’m sorry, but this all feels like a huge step back.

2 Likes

Only if you persist in your attempts to make sense of the lore instead of switching your brain off and enjoying the spectacle. The Chronicles have pretty pictures. If that isn’t enough for you, you’re probably not the target audience…

2 Likes

I mean, they didn’t let themselves be restrained by continuity before, so does that change anything? Does it really matter if it’s “legitimized” if it keeps happening either way and there’s no way to stop it?

Yes, I agree, it defeats the purpose of the chronicles. But egh. I’m drifting more and more towards a “there is no canon” approach, with the “official” material being merely a non-binding headcanon suggestion.

1 Like

Sad truth.

Tempted to start an active campaign that proclaims the Old Gods and Sargeras were in fact the good guys, and the Titans just made up the whole “Kill the universe thing”.

4 Likes

Hahahaha. “Chronicles are not a valid source” just became a forum argument.

1 Like

Yeah. So now when people say things like “all land is Troll land” or “the trolls are the oldest race on Azeroth”, we can just say “Nope. We don’t know if it’s true because it’s just from the Titans’ perspective”.

I’m so going to absuse this new privilege we have.

7 Likes

I might just go back to quoting the old RPG-books… They made more sense to me anyways… Who cares if Blizz says they’re not canon, if they also say that there really is no canon, when it comes down to it?

8 Likes

Schrodinger’s canon.

told you those books could not stand the test of time ion don’t care about the lore nor does the writing team

it’s a shame really they just digging them self into a deeper and deeper hole but did any of us really think the Chronicles would matter

We can also now use UnReLiAbLe NaRrAtOr for Chronicles unironically. This is amazing lol.

1 Like

The titan point of view is just excuse for all retconning they did of chronicles already

Basically, yeah.

Unless you are Pyromancer who has been saying this since the start.

why does anyone watch/listen to him at all?

Regardless of whether they will come true or not it is nice to sometimes hear of the more wildest theories out there and how they could be connected to XYZ.

There is nothing wrong with that.

I still dont get why him, over like anyone esle speculation.

Why are you even here then?

…hasn’t that been said sine the Mag’har scenario? They’ll do it when they feel they can get away with it without too unfavourable comparisons to FFXIV anti-Light addon. That’s gonna take some time… But that they were gonna do it really isn’t a surprise.