Gaining a follower reduces troop level, why?

Why does getting something have to feel so bad? Every week or two, we get a new follower from renown or from torghast, and every time we do, troop level goes down again. If you actually want to complete missions, the winning strategy seems to be to avoid getting any new followers. That doesn’t make sense to me.

2 Likes

Troop levels are calculated as the Mean or Median or something of your follower levels. Add a new level 1 follower, you drag that average down.

Well the table is not mandatory anyway, but if you have progressed it to get Soul Ash, it must be frustrating.

That is precisely the problem -troop level should be calculated from your 5 highest level followers - your main group.

1 Like

Tbf, troops have no place on your first soul ash missions anyway. You’re going to need every proper follower you can muster to get through the early ones :slight_smile:

The drop in troop level becomes less of a problem over time. When you have 10x level 30 followers, the troops only drop to level 27 when you get your next follower.

My advice is prioritise XP missions for your lowest followers, and send 4x troops + 1 follower on anima gathering runs. Having at least 5, ideally 10 followers at a good high level is very effective.

I have a better suggestion.

Don’t calculate anything at all and delete the whole thing.

Had no idea and now that i know… Honestly i have no words.
Who even came up with such nonsense?

The devs, of course! Another great new idea! /sarc

1 Like

New champions should start at lvl 25 or something ,this is hideous.
One step forward two step back :rofl: :joy:

1 Like

This seems like a waste of a good thing; my alt was able to get 194 items out of the table while they were still actual upgrades.

If you’re playing a character rather slowly and not gunning for high end content, but do have time for 5 mins of table management every day, it can become a handy feature :slight_smile:

Still can’t believe how badly they messed up the mission table in this xpac. It worked well in WoD and Legion but this version is terrible.

Another stupid idea to join a long list of ideas that Blizzard put into the game. They do things without realising what the impact to players is. Oh you’ve put time in levelling followers, oh you’ve put time in to gain renown…he is your reward…make your follower table weaker.

They don’t understand the impact of what they are doing, they no longer seem to understand the game or respect the time investment of players.

My proposition is not about the power of the rewards or how they slot. There are plenty of casual but long-form places to put in 194 items, like you put in a bunch of anima to upgrade your sanctuary, it unlocks new areas, and BAM. Harder mobs (not like heroic raiding hard, just so you need some more gear to take them on) with appropriate rewards like 194 items or greater amounts of crafting mats or gold or anima or pets or whatever they might come up with. That’s not the issue.

The issue is that, and I love this term, the eggtimer effect. The most optimal way to play this game is to start a bunch of timers and have your phone beep whenever the timer is up, then hop in and start a new quest right off the bat.

It keeps you focused on World of Warcraft all day and burns you out, but it does’t actually immerse you or make you feel connected to Azeroth.

This, as far as I’m concerned, is not just no fun, it’s actually detrimental to the entire game. It’s basically the worst problems of dailies but on steroids. It’s just like all those silly mobile games that lure you with some daily reward and disturbs you and addicts you every single day.

Twiluna just made a post about WoW addiction, and systems like this are a big part of how you can become addicted - and worse still addicted to something you don’t want to do. You’re not engaged in a world, community, or friends in any way through the mission table - you’re just optimising your reward for time by pressing meaningless buttons on your phone. And you’re doing this out fear of falling behind in the game.

I know the name of this game, and I’m not participating. I simply log in and finish the mission table when there’s something to finish, and outside of that I steer clear - but we both know a lot of people are stuck playing this thing that they don’t enjoy because MUST GET REWARD zombie mode intensifies. It’s the worst form of addiction and the only thing I can say in Blizzard’s defence is that they haven’t put in an anima shop and stupidly expensive missions… yet.

1 Like

It probably isn’t, because of the time required for your troops to heal. A 4 hour mission likely needs 6-7 hours to get them back to 100%. And some take longer than others so it’s hard to really plot a time when you should start a new run.

I do see your point, but I don’t think the table is really that much of a lure to drag people into it when they don’t really want to.

Personally, if I have opportunity, I might check my missions at lunchtime, see if anything can be changed over; but it’s not a big deal. The table rewards enough anima to run itself, 194 gear (only useful on a character I’m not playing seriously), and rep. That’s just not enough for me to get excited about.

(And I’m a person who played the stuff out of an eggtimer game in the late 90s. Planetarion. Hourly events, 24/7. I remember getting up at 2:45am to initiate attacks in the dead of night. That was unhealthy! But one day I looked at my alarm clock and just decided… nah.)

Seems to me you’re one of the stronger people. I’ve seen IRL friends get up at 4AM to check their mission tables. In addition the healing period seems quite irrelevant. You can generally just insert a couple of healers into the mission and you just win anyway even if you haven’t healed it - besides it’s okay for a few of them to get knocked out. I can always start new missions straight away.

As said, I had a silly phase of getting up for eggtimers - but then one day I realised how tired and broken it was making me, and went back to sleep and never did it again. (Also, turned out that 7am was actually a better time anyway, because even the nightshift players had fizzled and gone to bed, and sleep was weakness in that game.)

Not all covenants get healing like that. In fact, post-nerf, even Night Fae teams don’t usually come back at full health unless it was an anima milk run with 4 troops. They’re better still than my Kyrians who are always broken; but they’re not what they once were.

My general advice to people is to calm yo-self down and realise that there is no power progression on the table, and as such, there is no being ‘left behind’. If you’re playing a character seriously, you outlevel 194 in the first week, and it takes the table a month to get that far. There is nothing important enough to set an alarm for :smile_cat:

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.