Game super laggy and crashes ever since TBC came out

First of all, I am not playing on a good PC, I am playing on an i5 laptop with only 4gig ram. However, on this laptop, I have played WoTLK arena with loads of addons installed and never had any problems. However, playing TBC the game is super laggy and crashes often. I know my computer is not the best but why does it struggle so much playing a 10+ year old game ? And why do I have no lag or crashes problem playing WOTLK compared to TBC, surely it should be similar performance wise?

Hey Tabz,

I’d recommend you try some of our troubleshooting steps and see if that helps you. Since you mentioned both game performance issues and actual crashes, I’ve linked you both.

Best of luck!

The reason is, is that the GAME ENGINE is the current ShadowLands v9 and implements modern graphics even though you have no access to the SYSTEM/Graphics controls.

The old engine was version 3 and only used half of the functions current windows utilised.
You most probably using Windows 10 which is a MEMORY hog and 4GB of ram is not enough, so it will page to your STORAGE device like crazy, and if your still using a HDD for storage unlike an SSD in that it can cause lag, and possibly corruption during memory paging.

Give us more info on your setup please.

Thanks for your reply, that’s interesting information.
I really need to buy a PC but right now that is not an option.

I suppose there is no way to run the game with the old game engine instead of the shadowlands one?

What kind of information do you need?