Geargated and gamegated - a personal experiance

Hey all
First a disclaimer:
I am a returning and casual player who “peaked” in WoW back in classic (rank 13 and rank 12 on different characters and high-end raiding).

At this point in my life I only have time for pvping (and enjoy it).
However I seems to be “hard stuck” on 1400ish rating accross all brackets.
In arena i have plenty of room to improve my playstyle, but it suddenly doesn’t help being outgeared most of the matches.

Because of this, i’ve been trying to play RBG’s to increase rating and maybe “shortcut” a way into gearing up from my current 1400 conquest rated gear.
I’ve been reading up on my role and playstyle and feel like I know what im doing and can protect a base against a rogue (i do RBG as guardian) forever etc.

But I seem to be spending almost all my time ingame in LFG
The 1500-1600 (or higher) groups I need to find all want some achievement I don’t have as a returning player who haven’t done RBG’s when they first came out…

Guess what I’m trying to say is: “i wish there was some kind of participation reward making casuals able to gear” and "I hope they implement some kind og solo-queue where you actually progress and can upgrade your gear insteed of sitting on your hands with nothing to really do…

When everyone is about equal geared, its all about skills imo.
I’m not gonna become a +2100 rated 2v2 player over night if I get to upgrade my gear to 220.
People who know what they are doing and spend several hours a day in Arena/BG’s will always come out on top against a casual player like myself.
But being behind on gear with not means to upgrade/progress surely doesn’t give me a competive incentive to keep playing

I hope other people here on the forum can relate to my experiance and that you all have a nice day :slight_smile:

19 Likes

I highly suggest you to do casual pvp or no pvp at all…

2 Likes

Thats the problem - you cant do just casual PvP and enjoy it. For example all I ever wanted to do with my WoW time is casual PvP or some yolo 2v2 like in every expansion before BfA and SL, but I can’t. There is no casual PvP anymore. Honor gear is bad, conquest gear is rating gated. If you are 31k hp honor geared player you are just stomped all over the place. When I meet 25k player I delete him in few globals, same thing does 37-41k player to me. Honor gear or even unranked conquest gear is so bad compared to 220+ upgraded conquest gear it feels more like green gear in previous expansions painted on purple in MS Paint… It’s not like you are in some disadvantage compared to BiS PvP gear. You are just leather farm animal NPC for those players. It’s really very motivating, rewarding and lot of fun after you spent huge amount of your free time to gear up 3 characters to full 197 honor gear and you are being slaughtered like westfal pig… Makes me want to play more and more. Not really…

15 Likes

“When everyone is about equal geared, its all about skills imo.
I’m not gonna become a +2100 rated 2v2 player over night if I get to upgrade my gear to 220.”

well you hit the nail on the head here, but unfortunately it seems the priority in this game is to gate the gear to basically force you to make real money transactions to make progress in game, and not to give you a fair fighting chance.

yes, it sucks, but woohoo its the future of gaming! lets all support it folks go buy more boosts!

7 Likes

Got in a AB , team had 25-30kish HP , allies had 35+.
They didnt capped farm to farm us in graveyard :smiley:

2 Likes

I wonder…Blizzard is missing out on a lot of money here so when will the rating-boost come into the shop?

2 Likes

Ye but where is the progression incentive for me to play?
I’m honorcapped and can’t upgrade my gear duo to rating-gate.
I find no fun in dominating a random BG vs freshly dinged people either.

I want to gear up and get trashed against players who are better than me - but equally geared and not just being outgeared :slight_smile:

4 Likes

well. people wanted pvp vendors they got pvp vendors, people wanted to be able to get theyr pvp gear equal to pve gear, we got that… yes throw rating. it makes sens. it shows who plays better, what do u wnat? have a 233 wep like a glad player just by participating?

Same.
I wish they’d accommodate players like this. That’s how skills get honed.
Getting insta-deleted by a meat-head is pure faceroll & belongs in wpvp.

2 Likes

Maybe read again what he wrote you ignorant.

4 Likes

Guess you cant understand the situation.
Even casual player had 233 wep , he/she would still lose and grinding is the simple way of participating. Without a rating wall at least casual pvpers can have their chance for some fun

4 Likes

no…you should have a 233 weapon by buying tokens for real money and using that to pay boosters…5 head logic

1 Like

Why are you blaming vendors for a problem caused by huge ilvl disparities?
WoD had 10 ilvl difference between casual and rated pvp gear at a max base ilvl of 710
We now have 30-ish ilvl difference between level 60 casual (197) and endgame (226), a difference of 29 ilvl where the max is 226, which is a relatively way way way bigger gap then 700 & 710.
If you look at entry level pvp gear (158) the ilvl difference is 58
The huge gap between ilvls is the one single only reason there is such a wide gap between player power

8 Likes

When I posted this thread I just felt outgeared most matches (being ilvl 205-207 depending on legendary used).
Saw this youtube video which prefectly shows the Ilvl differences for each rating-bracket in arena.
Even in the 1200-1400 rating you are am usually undergeared compared to your opponents if your Ilvl is under 209…
Watch at about 2 mins 10 sec into the video for the graph.

The point of the post isn’t “give me high Ilvl gear for free”.
It’s that I find it way too difficult to compete in every arena bracket to gear up.
Sure pro’s can backpedle through the lower brackets with a low Ilvl ALT because they are skilled.
But when I meet someone who’s been boosted, or someone with Mythic XX gear who does more mistakes than me (yes i’m not a pro at all!) it’s so frustrating to play the game and still loose.

I just hope that at some point you can earn the gear you need to compete in arena at a fair level, without buying boosts or gearing in PVE to earn that high Ilvl.

8 Likes

Does not exist. Random battlegrounds are high end content with an iLevel requirement of 226.

8 Likes

Indeed it is
Imagine being a newbie in the game that wants to pvp at level 60.

4 Likes

and the team i got on my alt
were either undergeared bots or dps meter chasers
vs french premade(same as russians and germans)
1 sub rogue kills everyone with cc lock because why not
it was not fun at all because your team doesnt care to win or to pvp at all
against 40k+ health players

2 Likes

Pvp vendors and pvp was good for the like first 10 days until people started to get past unrated pvp item rank
Except convoke.
I really wanna know who designed it

2 Likes

yes if knew it would still be so bad
i wouldnt bother with bgs
not worth getting loss groups
raid finder and callings more fun and less annoying
didnt care for arena after i got my tabard of brute force

1 Like

This thread really hits the nail on the head about the current problem with arenas. I already quit them because of it.
All my friends are stuck at below 1400 with their alts that didnt get gear from the start of expansion.

Keep this up and arenas will be dead in next season

6 Likes