Graphics card help!

After years of being away, I have returned to play some of my old characters. However, my PC seems to be struggling graphics wise. I have used ‘Can I Run It’ and everything meets minimum spec apart from the card. It suggests a Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 2GB or similar at the lowest level. However, I have an Inspiron 3470 (not a gaming PC I know) which is a compact (or mini) PC. I am fighting to find a suitable equivalent in a reasonable price in the UK.

Can anyone suggest a UK link or specific card I should be looking for?
I considered the MSI Nvidia Geforce GTX 1030 Aero (I will try and put a link in a comment, it won’t let me here) but no idea if it is the compact version as I am starting to doubt this is for a compact PC…

Any help anyone can give is very much appreciated. I can’t play and it makes me sad…

I did a quick google search and it said: Intel I5-8400, 8GB RAM and no SSD and no dedicated GPU (just the Intel UHD from the I5), is that about right?

Also no info about the powersupply.

Any modern dedicated GPU will be an upgrade over your Intel UHD, but i would not recommend getting anything below a 1050 or equivalent.
The Nvidia GT series is not the gaming series (which is GTX).
Nvidia gaming GPUs start with a “50” at the end.

Depending on your powersupply and case, you might be very limited with your choice.
If you can find a 1050/1050 TI or 1060 mini with no required sata-power cable for a good price, get it.

1 Like

The Dell Inspiron 3470 has, if I remember right, 200W PSU (and probably no cables to provide power to the GPU) and requires low profile GPU. I doubt there are any decent GPUs which give reasonable gaming performance. From the discussion thread 1030 seems to be about the best you can get which might work.

The model you have cannot be really upgraded other than by adding some extra memory or bigger hard disk. Both motherboard and PSU are custom so standard size PSU would not fit into the case. Same goes for the motherboard: it would not fit into a standard case.

You are better off saving money and buying a new or used computer with better options for upgrades rather than trying to upgrade your current one.

1 Like