How do the factions still have any troops left?!

Way back, during the Siege of Orgrimmar, I believe it was already established that the Horde’s armies were quite depleted and they heavily relied on the Alliance’s support to overthrow Garrosh. Then we ventured into Alternate Draeneor and cleaned it up. Right after that we had to deal with the largest Legion invasion in history, the battle at the Broken Shore was a disaster, it was overall a big struggle and a miracle we came out on top.
Now I know this is a video game and all that and things don’t necessarily have to make sense, but it specifically annoys me that, the Horde in particular but both factions overall, have enough armies left to not only start a motherf***g world war but the Horde pushed so far up into night elf territory. I get that the largest part of the Horde army was made out of the Forsaken built up by Sylvanas with her valkyr over the last decade or so but still. When Anduin goes ‘we have enough men for one final assault’… like seriously? now you realize that? How does the Horde still have troops when they supposedly should have started the Fourth War at a big numbers disadvantage?

Blizzard is notoriously inconsistent concerning poupulation and army sizes, as well as the scale of the world. If you remember that the orcs came to Kalimdor with a few ships the stole in a raid on Southshore just 15 years ago, you might agree that the army sizes didn’t make much more sense before SoO. And if you have taken a look at Classic you might have noticed the lack of military protection in most Alliance realms as well, which was mostly just ignored after the Cataclysm.

I’m sorry to say, but this is something you’ll just have to swallow with Warcraft. Armies and populations are just as big as the plot requires in the moment, and, like one of Blizzard’s continuity checkers once said: “My team believes that continuity exists to enhance a story, not to tie the hands of creators.”

Anything but the lowest expectations on the lore’s continuity will only lead to disappointment.

6 Likes

Well the Horde has cloning machines, not sure how the Alliance does it.

We have a production facility in the Goldshire inn.

9 Likes

well if I recall looking at how it worked in WC 3 troops did plop out from the barracks, so most likely there is about 10 females in the barracks and 10 men, making babies that grow up realy fast, and out comes a new warrior or what ever they make.
but then again the workers and peons came from the castle, so I wonder if Anduin and equaly thrall, have their own smal harem who makes workers also.

1 Like

i present to you the ultimate gnome technology! the RTS cloning device writers: what consequences what are those behold the armies of stormwind sees millions of identical foot soldiers

Realistically speaking, the Forsaken are the only ones with a plausible explanation as to why they can continue battling.
Every race tied to a conventional reproductive system, should’ve been worn out completely after the first major threat stepped into the world.

I don’t think that ~20 years is enough to replenish an army to the point of facing threats of such magnitude.

At this point, WoW needs some timeskip.

1 Like

Wow suffers from the same dilemma as a lot of other long-term fictional world.

There is too much major stuff happening in too little time. While real life war events often took multiple years from start to finish, wow’s timeline has like a world-ending large scale war event almost every year.

Since they have to release a newly themed expansion every 2-3 years, which is supposed to be of similar if not greater scale than the last, they must either do a 20-30 year time-skip every expansion or mush everything into a way too small amount of years.

I for one would welcome a major time-skip every expansion (I don’t really care if my character canonically isn’t the same every expansion), but that would run into problems with Blizzard’s aging main character cast (which would also be a good thing in my book, since I think revolving the story around some cast of main characters is bad anyway).

Imagine if the events from Warcraft 1 up to Shadowlands all happened within a timespan of 500 years instead of the ridiculous amount that it happened in canonically…

1 Like

At this point, I think that the game needs a WoW 2.

With a relevant time skip, a new cast of characters, an updated world, and a blank sheet for writers to o as crazy as they want.

2 Likes

Yes that would certainly help.
As long as it isn’t a new game. I really don’t think I’d enjoy a warcraft produced by nu-blizzard that wasn’t tied to what the Blizzard of the past used to produce.

Factions and armies are always as numerous as the plot demands.

Legion was supposedly an Alliance expansion that the Alliance did most of the work on Argus. And Alliance and Horde together worked towards Suramar.

So it makes perfect sense for the Alliance to have had more losses in Legion while Horde was raising Forsaken and bringing Orcs from AU Draenor.

There you have it

I’d rather they just accept that the factions are just clinging on for survival, don’t have troops left to do anything, and that it is a age where heroes are much more important than kings, because the kings don’t have the power to enforce their will on anyone farther away than a mile or so.

We don’t need a time skip for that and I would much prefer that setting.

2 Likes

Breeding stocks obv.

Don’t know about that…
It sounds like some Marvel plot with superheroes.

Not a fan.

Rather the story focus drifted away from both players and One-Man armies such as Sylvanas, Malfurion or Jaina.
Not to the point of excluding them, but in a way that wasn’t as centred around them.

I’d even take a corny high school plot at this point tbh.

1 Like

An RPG that doesn’t focus on the player seems to miss its mark on all accounts to me. You know I would prefer no greater story at all, thus having more of an adventurer character just doing stuff than a super hero saving the world all the time. But I still want the game to be about the experiences of me and my character. Ideally me and my friends, but I get that that is even harder to do than just making it about me.

So… I’m certainly up for a change in genre, from superhero story to something else… like Susanoo’s serious suggestion. But I’ll never be on board with the RPG being about other guys, with my character as some kind of strange watcher thingie with questionable lore status.

1 Like

Just accept, don’t question.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.