How does Improved Soul Drain work?

I’m confused about the second part of this talent’s text.

“GIves you a 100% chance to get a 100% increase to your Mana regeneration for 10 seconds if the target is killed while you drain its soul. In addition your Mana may continue to regenerate while casting at 50% of normal”.

The latter statement is what confuses me: do I permanently have a 50% to my mana regeneration while casting or it just activates during the 10 seconds after drainin the soul of a dead enemy? Because if that’s the case… then this talent is not worth picking.

Useless spell don’t bother , also the incrased drain soul heal is just base damage incrase so like 2 dmg per 1 point really bad talent dont get it aswell.

You mean improved drain life?

ye never get improved drain sould and life . google draintanking succubus its your leveling spec

I didn’t use anything close to that talent build and still don’t

Whenever you cast a spell, you have to wait 5 seconds after so your mana will start to regenerate. It is called 5 seconds rule (you can Google it if you want to know every detail).
The description simply means that if you have improved drain soul buff on you, your mana will regenerate even during 5 seconds rule, but with only 50% of your normal mana regeneration speed.
Hope this helps. It may sound confusing but 5 seconds rule is not really a hard thing to understand.

I also suggest you to download 5 seconds rule addon. It will display a small panel which will show you that 5 seconds timer every time you cast a spell, it is really helpful for any mana user in WoW.

1 Like

Even though this talent is listed by minmaxers in “best leveling talent builds”, it’s pure s…t. Do not take it! The mana regen provided is totally not worth it. You can easily not notice when it triggers, so small is its viability. These 2 points are better spent elsewhere.

That’s not really a truism

Improved Drain Soul is pretty much taken to tick up your talent points towards more important abilities - the other talents in the same tier have even less utility

If you are playing your lock well whilst levelling you should be using soul shards - so you should be timing a drain soul as your target dies and that extra mana regeneration does give more uptime when you are at lower levels

So I’d agree is pretty worthless as level 60 but it makes a great deal of sense at level 20

As with all things you should try it yourself rather than rely on a guide - I used it and liked it

But then I use an Shadow Mastery build with Demonic Sacrifice for a static plus 25% shadow damage increase in Raid

It works for me

I already knew of that rule, I played back in vanilla, but until now I thought this talent allowed casting mana regeneration at all times. Sadly, I discovered it only works during the buff, which makes it useless… I’m sad, I thought I found a good use for the human spirit racial on a warlock.

I think it’s a nice talent for leveling tho

I respecced to improved life tap. I find it better, specially in group, since improved drain soul doesn’t proc if mobs are killed by other players.

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.