How necromancery is unholy?

Hello, I’m mostly a caster player who loves playing necromancers in rpgs. No matter how much I like the gameplay of demonology warlock, summoning demons do not give me the same satisfaction as summoning undead.

So my question is, do unholy dk give that necromancer feel in Shadownlands?

not in a necromancer caster style your probably invision.

i still wish they made a cosmetic glyph to make the demons undead minions

1 Like

I’m word for word in the same boat. I main Demonology and do really enjoy it, but I’ve always played the Necromancer class in any game I can since Diablo II. Unholy Death Knight is very fun in its own right and overall I do enjoy it.

In answer to the question of whether DK is Necromantic I’d say… sort of? Not being a caster means it isn’t a Necromancer in the traditional sense, but you do have some important themes. First, you get summons. These are nowhere near as often you get with Demonology which can be frustrating. When you don’t have these, you’re essentially zit popping (bursting festering wounds).

This said, the second point is that it does have diseases. That’s a kind of cool fantasy, although it’s very limited. It’s mostly just cast through Outbreak and it doesn’t spread in the first few seconds like it used to. But the key point is it does have diseases and many people like that aspect of Necromancy.

I would love to see them double down on the Necromantic fantasy going forward. You should be able to gear your builds towards summoning, and way more summoning than you can now. You should be able to summon Skeletal Magi at will for instance, not just baked into Apocalypse. Perhaps Corpse Explosion could be brought back as proper ability too. You should also be able to gear your builds towards diseases. This would mean multiple types of diseases as well, and use other abilities to empower them. As it stands, it feels like it grasps the basic fantasy but doesn’t quite go far enough. But hey, maybe it will soon!

In a nutshell, it does feel kind of Necromantic. It has key themes of Necromancy, it’s just not got the exact same oomph as other Necromancer classes might have. However, it is still very fun and I would definitely recommend trying it!

2 Likes

Id not really put it in the necromancer catagory at all.

Basically. In the orginal RPG classes in older games.

You had 3 hybridized classed based on druid, necromancer and priest.

The ranger, which orginally wielded nature magic to a lesser degree but had physical damage unlike the druid.

The paladin which wielded light magic to a lesser degree then priest but again brought melee based physical damage with weapons.

And the Shadowknight / Dark knight. Which wielded necromancy to a lesser degree then necromancer but brought physical damage via weapons.

Unholy fits closer to a shadowknight then a actual necromancer, primarily because its not all that fleshed out as a pure necromancer. Its more a melee proffession, with a few spells among its kit and it gets 1 permanant pet

Im afraid WoW has no answer for a proper necromancer, primarily because its arguable its theme would overlap with DK. Id proberly disagree based on its like saying Paladins and priests overlap.

Its very close to being a Necromancer but its just not there yet. What it would need to become a full necro is more range spells, more pets and change from shadow damage to more disease spells.

3 Likes

Official description of the specialization
https://worldofwarcraft.com/en-us/game/talent-calculator#death-knight/unholy

A master of death and decay, spreading infection and controlling undead minions to do her bidding. Preferred Weapon: Two-Handed Axe, Mace, Sword

In World of Warcraft, a necromancer can be a melee or ranged character. An example is The Lich King or Kel’Thuzad.
h ttps://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Lich_King
h ttps://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Kel%27Thuzad

And something more about necromation
https://wowpedia.fandom.com/wiki/Necromancer

Personally I would like to see the 4th specialization for DK, 100% focused on necromancy.
Unholy specialization could stay as it is or be more focused on strong blows of two-handed weapons (a specific combination of Blodd DPS wotlk version with Unholy).

but currently, Unholy has been associated with necromancy by summoning an army of the dead by using unholy powers.

1 Like

0, dont even roll dk if you plan to play pvp so frustrating

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.