I don't like Blizzard, but have to break a lance for them re 'scandal' issue

I was hesitant to write about this topic here, but since it seems to be popping up all the time anyway and interestingly also not censored away, and I guess since this is also everything-goes General and not the gameplay forum or such, I wanted to convey my view of the whole game tournament event incident to provide some balance to the political crusade, because unless we generally uphold principles, it’s just gonna add more fear to the system and will not heal what ails humankind.

To start with, I have many reasons for critique regarding Blizzard, and their profit-driven pandering to China is obvious, too, not the least due to their own communications showing that. While this sheds light on the truth of the situation, it is also not at all something new or tied to China.

So, while I could call Blizzard appalling for various reasons, it is not despicable to pursue a standard policy that is also often applied in other areas like all kinds of internet forums and such: “No talking politics or religion”. It was an e-sports event and the person who got banned participated, agreeing to the rules, then deliberately violated them, because the madness that has gripped the world is a corruption in the form of egoes seeking purpose, and it would have had too little crusaderish drama potential to just refuse to participate because he doesn’t agree with the rules.
To reiterate: The guy utilized the publicity gained from participating in an event whose rules he doesn’t agree with in order to snub the host and bring a highly divisive and heated political topic into an entertainment event that no one forced him to participate in. It is business, and as a player aiming for prize money, he himself is pursuing an aim connected to self-promotion. So he didn’t actually commit a sacrifice there because he got massive publicity now by hooking into a ‘support tribe’, by picking a side.

And picking a side is unenlightened in a complex sociopolitical situation like this, especially if you consider that while the Hong Kong protests have legit concerns as a basis, the whole movement has also been co-opted by the usual US regime-change machinery, and because many people’s aim is actually to have purpose and power, you still see riots going on, despite or specifically because victories have been achieved, demands met. (And since we are not living in China here, you have free access to all the good investigative journalism that can enlighten you about that.)

Now, some say Blizzard are hypocrites because they themselves don’t shy away from making certain political statements, but those are carefully chosen own policy, and naturally in pursuit of business interests. But it is different than just allowing anyone to state any political view with association to Blizzard.
In the many cases where I could scold Blizzard, in this one I have to break a lance for them. The issue is being overinflated for the reasons I mentioned.

Some say Blizzard could have been more moderate in their punishment, but the guy knew very well what he was doing, so I see no reason for leniency. This was not a mishap.

His rights to freedom of speech were not violated because Blizzard didn’t sue him. He WAS able to voice his political opinion and Blizzard merely took measures within THEIR right as organisers of the event. He violated the rules, so he got disqualified. Again, you do not have the right to act like a jerk wherever you want. Freedom of speech does not give you immunity from reactions to that speech. You gotta take responsibility for your decisions, and that is a big problem with a lot of social upheaval these days.

Some say Blizzard could have just disclaimered the whole event like “Things expressed by participants do not reflect Blizzard’s views”, but this would have been unsuitable for that kind of event. That is more fitting for journalistic, documentary and such formats. It was entertainment, and in entertainment the concern here is not about protecting yourself legally, but about not pissing off the audience.

In closing, I want to apologize in case I contributed to bringing politics into a game forum. As I said in the beginning, I only decided to do it now since the discussion seems to permeate at least this section anyway. And I wanted to provide some balance to all the agitation, because I guess what puts people off the most is all the aggression that comes with such matters.
And if someone like me who is highly critical of Blizzard can view things from their perspective, maybe it can inspire others, too. Because we can only bring peace into the world if it rests at our own core first. When we got sufficiently tired of all the pointless war.

If you agree with that message, give this a like. Because support for agitated agendae is plenty and willing, and restoring balance and healing the world can only work through support, too.

12 Likes

no one cares

17 Likes

god, its like one of those stupid youtube comments.

LiKe If YoU aGrEe. :face_vomiting:

stop being part of the problem and bring politics into games. there are various other platforms to discuss this.
only because certain people bring it up doesnt mean that its right and that you should do it too.

19 Likes

Weekend is done can we finally stop spamming the forums with this. Enough is enough.

8 Likes

I don’t disagree that voices should be heard, in fact I encourage people to speak up for their beliefs. But there are platforms for everything. These forums are a platform dedicated to World of Warcraft - people visiting would (most likely) like to read about and discuss World of Warcraft.

For politics, there are other arenas you can use. (Unless it is to discuss who should be the rightful ruler of the kingdoms of Azeroth)

5 Likes

For me is much bigger problem Turkey and attack on Syria. There you can talk about humanity and extermination. China did nothing wrong in Hong Kong and in 2047 it will be again part of China how it should be . . . That UK concept of one country, two systems just already did so much problems and inclusion of Hong Kong back to China will be pretty painfull . . .

3 Likes

I just want this whole thing to blow over so we can get back to games.

Please like, comment, and subscribe if you agree.

17 Likes

I mean I agree with it…but i think the gust of wind is long gone and as much as people are still up in arms over it on regular social media, the forums is basically dead regarding it now. (Thankfully)

Its kinda just what happens when your a big corp and people are looking to intentionally basically blame you for the world’s current issues, especially when the people involved are intentionally looking to cause trouble whether the cause is right or wrong. :man_shrugging:

Not given my stance and kept away from it with a 10 foot pole cause I try to be in the middle ground as I just want to get on with playing said games etc, kinda why I pay subscription for WoW and all X).

1 Like

Hong Kong is the single most economically free “country” in the world, and it’s so rich, sadly all good things come to an end because of stupid people.

The fact that you are saying that the Chinese government did nothing wrong in Hong Kong is quite appalling to me.

I guess Hong Kong will become just like the rest of China, i’m sure that the people will be very happy to have their standards downgraded because of an authoritarian government.

Envy of money, of skills really is the worst thing in the world, we could literally be all better off if it wasn’t for mentalities like these dragging humanity down, but alas, human stupidity really has no limit.

The results speak clearly. Hong Kong success speaks for itself. I do not argue by morals, because they are subjective, it’s a losing battle because everyone thinks their morals are better than other people’s morals, even if they are wrong, even if their morals lead to objectively bad results, so i just cut to the chase.

I argue by results which are objective, sadly most people think this is degenerate, and would rather stick to their principles even if they were wrong.

3 Likes

stop being a person who escapes from problems of real world into virtual one where everyone is happy

its fake happy

but some people enjoy living in “matrix”

If you had a youtube channel, I would subscribe in a heartbeat :D:D

4 Likes

yeah i know for some people leisure activities are a hard concept to grasp but i can assure you that politics are no part of it.

please quote me on where i said that i escape from my real world problems into video games and that everyone is happy there. im waiting.

i dont know what trip you re on or if you re just a troll but i d suggest you get off of it asap.

4 Likes

In this case, I think the “What he did was against the rules” argument, isn’t one I’d go for. I am not (yet) quitting Blizzard games, but apart from that stuff, I do agree with what this guy has to say:

People there are getting killed for speaking against…we don’t have that here, so I am seeing this in context.

1 Like

the hole HK situtation is realy wierd, considering in Hk, the majority eighter do not care, or wants to be part of china, where a minority is protesting and rioting, there are a huge chunk of people in HK, who literarly hates the protesters and feels they only destroy the city and do not even try to protest, they just want to riot.
I am not gona say who is right or wrong now, but as one said, there are more people outside of HK who think they care, even if they do know now the hole situation and they have only heard it through their media, who only takes ones side and most of the time do not tell the hole story at all.

1 Like

Cant w8 for Blizz to release PhoneDiablo in China at the end of October :smiley: So dumpster fire burns even more :smiley:

/substohams

D’s out for ma boi hamz

1 Like

They hide their faces while “protesting”. Remind you of some other group doing such things?

there are lots of those who do it, and most of the groups have eighter some racial issues or against people who are different, gays etc… and all of theese groups are just out to riot and not actualy protesting at all, heck theese people can come to a peacefull protests and start making ruckus, many of them are also tied to Anarcistic groups.

Man they hide their faces so they can’t be real protesters…
You are right lets just open our arms and welcome in the government that harvests organs from their inmates.

1 Like

Exactly!
Also, I was referring specifically to Antifa, but your post is just one of :100: percent accuracy.

Buddy, when you truly want to protest, you do not hide your face.

1 Like