Imagine my shock when horde is now 56% @120

No. He speaks his opinion, the same as all of us do. That is not the same as ‘Truth’. It is just his opinion. Many do not share it. If you do share it, you know what to do, and can act accordingly.

I Spy, with my little eye, someone who didn’t read the thread fully.

I gave a fairly detailed response as to why I thought those points were incorrect to the considerably more polite and concise ‘Leafkettle’, who made some valid points that were not standard Alliance “Pity us” fodder, something which frankly, more people should do. If you have a point, make it! If you can’t be bothered, then why should anyone else take your views seriously?

You’re taking to people on a blood elf post, i wouldn’t expect them to be smart.

And yet horde players were crying and moaning about their butt ugly mud huts in wod while we got nice looking garrison.

I don’t think that actually really happened though, did it? We generally only see Alliance exclusive fans use the phrase ‘mud huts’ when describing Horde buildings, which is rather telling, and does give off some rather worrying vibes at times, also what is this madness, both Garrisons looked pretty cool by virtue of their aesthetics, I think the only complaint I would have had, about either of them, was that you could not customise them to your characters race. Oh yeah, you could get about five more guards of your characters race, but no actual customisation.

Apart from that, no one was really fussed on Team Red about the Garrison, so …no, no crying and moaning. That just wasn’t a thing…

actually it sadly did happen specially on the us forum team red accused blizz of alliance bias because the alliance garrison looked better

and you had people crying over the bee mount and inquisitor title

2 Likes

Oh, well possibly, but frankly that’s -Americans- Whilst many of them are lovely, they do have a tendency to believe that the world owes them everything on a plate. I rarely would say that using them as some sort of barometer is a sensible idea, especially when the OP specifically is referring to the EU realms, not the US ones. (Unless they have gotten terribly confused about their point and where to make it)

The Bee mount, I can -kind of- see. The Horde equivalent you can ride on an Alliance character, the Alliance version (the bee) you cannot ride on a Horde character. I mean that is a direct disparity of treatment, it is impossible to deny that that is a situation in which people who only main horde, are disenfranchised by design policy. Doesn’t bother me much, damned thing looks silly anyway, I mean I love Bees, Bees are awesome, but they would be rubbish aerial cavalry mounts, the instant they attack they die!

In fairness, there again you are looking at an actual in game example of inequity. A benefit given to one faction that is not given to the other, or has an equivalent reward of equal worth.

I hadn’t even checked, but yes, now I have it seems that Alliance can indeed get a title for completing a zone questline, whereas Horde cannot…

Bizarrely we’re actually uncovering more instances of Blizzard favouring the Alliance here and not the Horde, which I strongly suspect was not the OP’s intention…Oh well, double edged swords and all that…

During wod there was alot of crying from horde side about the mud huts mainly from belf players who would have liked more Silvermoon style garrison.

I personally would have liked garrison with more racial customization which was promised and crap canned just like so many other promises blizzard gives on their sale speeches.

Yeah, I suppose, but the way I always rationalised it, despite my posting avatar being my Horde Main was “Well, you use what you’ve got!” So a wooden and stone Garrison makes sense. He’s a Farstrider Ranger, not a Magister, so he can’t create a whole place by magic, like the Magisters did for Silvermoon. Not sure why my character would have went “And then lets put some spikes on it!” But the Horde Garrison actually feels a bit cosy, aesthetically, when you get inside the main building :smiley: Yes, I do realise how ridiculous ascribing a sense of temperature to a computer game depiction is!

I personally didn’t care much. The horde priso-I mean garrison was exactly what we could have expected. A basic orc outpost. Much like how the alliance version was a miniature stormwind(human styled).

The problem is people were expecting real playing housing and expected it to be styled to match their own race/choice and thus improve player immersion.

Actually we did. And WoD areas were done by different people as I learned and the Horde team got such of … negative response.

The faction-story should have ended with Pandaria and it was also close to end - but for reasons they extended it for two expansions which was a grave mistake.

[quote=“Brigante-argent-dawn, post:260, topic:96096”]
Part of the problem is that some people have gotten so used to this (admittedly repetitive) situation that they have stopped seeing it, and only see their side. For example. Legion. I’ve heard people bang on about Horde bias during Legion. Why? Because Varian Wrynn got killed off. The same people are wildly ignorant of the fact that Vol’jin (Who hadn’t been given a ‘fair shot’ at being Warchief) was also killed off. The difference is, that Vol’jin didn’t get a three minute cinematic looking cool, in fact he did get a cinematic, which as a three minute cinematic of Varian Wrynn looking cool, oh, and five seconds of him getting stabbed.

Now that, that is bias. [/quote]

I’ll cut the chase with the rest which is referring to the Alliance-bias: Problem is that the whole Burning Legion-story is rooted into the original characters which are mostly Alliance-ones and secondly, that Blizzard started to go the “faction-flavor of the expansion”-route since WoD which is simply stupid. WoD was more or less about the Horde-characters and AltDraenor, Legion was about the Alliance, BfA is again about the Horde – and we can be sure that the next expansion will have a focus on the Alliance again.

It’s a writing-issue. They easily could integrate Horde-characters into the Argus-storyline but they did not do it. We have the very same issues about “turned undead Night Elves” which got revisited four (!) times on the PTR because the backlash was extremely negative. And yet, some people here, names won’t be written out, believe that this awful writing excuses a lot.

The jabs are irritating, every year. I hope they stop it for once with them.
I agree on the writing-part.

We should have gotten the Arakkoa as well by now but for reasons we have Mechagnomes which are not really a well-developed allied race.

I don’t think that the Alliance-players would go “wild” these days. We simply have too many human’ish races these days and it would be at the time to bring in some more flavor.

They set Tyrande up to be an antagonist to the new council and the Alliance. I think that she will be redeemed in the end but not without sacrifices. I also think that Yrel from AltDraenor and she will join together under the right circumstances. Blizzard teased for a long time now that something’s wrong with Elune. And Yrel, oh, Yrel. Turned from a sweet girl into a crazy Light-bearer.

Yes. I love to abuse the system because of the WM-bonis for creating new Alliance-characters. Work smarter, not harder. But as your said, the RP-servers are their own story and can’t be accounted for the normal servers.

Faction-bias is still a thing and I hope that we will remove the system with the next expansion. I’m pretty sure that we will become a single faction which will go off-world at some point. The semi-canon Legion comic #4 hints towards it.

You’re welcome! I agree with most of your points but - in the end - it still is frustrating to see how things have turned out. BfA was really a bad expansion with so many get-away gameplay methods to increase the game time or make the player uncomfortable enjoying the content. If the developers don’t learn it by the next expansion, then I’m pretty sure that this will have consequences for everyone, including us players.

That is very true, I mean the Burning Legion story is largely a NIght Elf and Draenei one (and there is no reason it shouldn’t be! Nothing beats playing through Argus on a Draenei Vindicator who is returning to a world he last knew aged 10 when the skies suddenly rained green fire and his parents pretty much chucked him on the Exodar before grimly taking up arms to defend a dying world) I kind of agree with you on WoD. On a weird tangent, did anyone else get the Spaghetti Western kind of vibe from the starting quests for WOD, where a ‘Bad Guy’ appears, does a monologue, and their name appeared on screen in a freeze-frame way? I’m not saying that was rubbish, it was actually kind of cool in a foreshadowing of the villains sort of way, but it seemed a weird take. Myabe that’s just me having watched too much old cinema, but you kind of felt like each of the Warlords needed their own guitar twang riff as they were highlighted.

Completely agree that Faction-flavour is a bit pants. WoD was very Horde-focussed, just the same as Legion was very Alliance Focussed, in both cases they -tried- to chuck in flavour for the other Faction (Yrel and Alt-Draenai in WoD, Highmountain Tauren and the Battle of Suramar in Legion) but in both cases they were a bit of a Swing and a Miss.

They didn’t really think about the things that matter. Yes, WoD was essentially the ‘heroes’ beating up the old faces from the WC games, but it was so geared towards that, that inevitably it seemed to be Horde story. Yes Legion was ‘the heroes’ fighting the Legion, but it pretty quickly turned into the Tyrande, Malfurion, Illidan and Velen show with everyone else as bit part sidekicks. In my opinion TBC, WotLK and even Cata were more balanced, in that regard, and MoP, until Siege of Orgrimmar was also, mainly because it was a new world, with new problems, new enemies, and frankly both Horde and Alliance were Colonial a$$hats who came over and brought their problems with them.

It absolutely is. It completely is a writing issue. I would say however that whilst it is easy (as I did) to complain that the Horde had no investiture, that is kind of the thing. Legion, especially Argus, should -always- have been about the Draenei and the Kaldorei, the Draenei especially, I mean to use a modern parallel that was the D-Day to their Dunkirk. It should always have felt very Draenei-centric, and it would have been disappointing if it were not. Yes the Horde were massively underrepresented, but when they were, at least it was the -right- Horde characters. No one really has a connection with the Draenei predicament as Horde, like Liadrin does. She has a direct reason, as Matriarch of the Blood Knight Order, to actually give a damn about Argus, the Naaru and all of it, whereas even Lor’themar, who seems like a kind of reasonable dude, just doesn’t have that link or buy in. I mean they could have done far worse, they could have chucked Thrall in. I mean he never even -saw- a Draenei in his whole life until they came to Azeroth, and as far as I recall has never actually -seen- a Naaru. So they made the right call as to -who- just it was too little, too late.

I will freely admit, I don’t actually watch streams or recorded tat, I just wait for the static websites showing me what new cool stuff is coming out, so I know about the Metzen “For the Horde!” thing, but not about what was in the interviews at last Blizzcon for example. I do personally think for a company to be showing such a strict partisan stance on a two faction game they have designed that way, is pretty unprofessional, but what the feck do I know, I record my voice for a living, I don’t write massive MMORPG’s. I’m uneasy about the influence that Golden and Danuser seem to have in terms of the story these days, but, again, that is probably just my inherent distaste for a blatant ‘my favourite character needs to get the limelight’ kind of mentality.

Hmm, I’m iffy on that one. I can’t see why the Arakkoa would favour either faction, and generally you need a reason, even if it is as straightforwards as “One of their leaders politically insulted me, the leader of my people, and the other was polite and considered” (Which is why I find Nightborne actually completely sensible, sometimes affairs of state are decided on such simple things, I mean they have been in real life, so…)

Krokuul, Sethrak, Tuskarr, I can see all of these going Alliance. Krokuul for the same reason as Lightforged “Whither my people go, there go I” Sethrak, because suddenly Voldunai is half occupied by a people who suddenly have allied with a Superpower, to protect yourself from retribution from the admittedly bad guys who were not you personally, maybe hooking up with the -other- Superpower, would at least stave off future conflict. Tuskarr because, to be brutally honest, as a people, they seem more like Alliance. They’re not Douches, they will fight if attacked, but they’re not going out of their way to be grim to anyone else.

I actually liked her better when she was supposed to basically be Jeanne D’arc. Such an iconic ideal as a character, but instead she has to become a Light version of the Conquistadors.

As to the rest, I think we are all getting a little frustrated with the writing, however the writing is universally bad, it is not slanted (Until certain people get their hands on it!) it is just imperfect writing. It isn’'t that one side is getting the short end of the stick, it is that the stick is very short, so -both- sides are getting the short end of it.

Nonetheless, thank you for your considered reply.

highly subjective and therefore irrelevant. I hate vulpera, am never gonna play one.
From my perspective Alliance got the best thematic race, so it goes both ways.

Mecha gnomes were definitely a good idea, but i agree they are executed horribly.

No need really. Racials are pretty even atm, but the difference is also miniscule. Did a count for each dps spec which faction held the top race or the top 3 races for that spec, and it was pretty much dead even, with a slight favor for horde on ST, but quite the advantage for Ally in aoe and dungeons.

What do you want them to do? All the things you listed are irrelevant, especially to fixing the reason for the imbalance, cause it is not racials.
The reason is just that the imbalance exists already, which sounds counter intuitive, but it is just a snowball effect. It started with racials, but now horde has the bigger population, but more importantly a vast majority of good players, meaning for recruitment you have a larger pool to recruit from and better players, so why would any guild want to be alliance?

Blizzard tried to fix it tho, with the hall of fame achievement, which is so much easier to get as alliance. My old guild coming into BFA was top 600 world, but could easily get the hall of fame achiev by going alliance, and we did consider it, but decided against due to the reason stated above.

Alliance also got the quest for killing horde players which gave a massive reward back when it was put in in BoD and better cycles on warfront causing a world top 3 guild to reroll alliance just for that, but then back again after.

Overall you can’t really just give alliance a tangible advantage like extra gear or better stats in any way, just for being alliance, in an effort to rebalance, cause that would be highly unfair. Best thing you can do is give some reward that does not increase performance, but is still attractive, and that is why the hall of fame achievement is quite a good attempt, but obviously players care more for being on the dominant faction than scoring a quick achiev, cause the achievement is kind of a joke if an alliance player tries to flex that.

So do you have a real proposal as to what they should do? Something that isn’t just “hur dur make alliance have gameplay advantage.”

As a side note: Alliance racials dominate the MDI scene and keys in general, and some of the top players in the world (Drjay and his team) went alliance for a week to push keys cause alliance racials are that much better, but even that is not enough to make people wanna switch.

And as a last note i wanna give my own suggestion, just make cross faction playing possible. I think it would solve this whole thing and i don’t get why we even have the factions to begin with honestly. Idm them existing cause the story and all that, but that does not have to bleed into gameplay, and i think not abolishing the factions, but rather just make it so you can play together, would be really nice.

Vulpera are nothing special. They are just reskinned goblins.

Discounting the fresh models, unique animations and looking like a whole different race even though they share the goblin rig. Nothing special indeed.

Just like Kul Tirans who basically got everything done fresh vs Zandalari’s which are an adjustment to the original trolls skeleton with different assets tagged on?

1 Like

Actually the Zandalari are heavily modified Night elf models. But sure you can go with that. Besides which one is the least played allied race and which one instantly became one of the most popular allied races?

1 Like

I have heard that the Zanda are on a male night elf skeleton.

The Alliance have the claim to both of those. KT least played and Velf most played.