Indefensible Toxicity and Unfriendliness to new players

Well said.I would also add the modern day mentality from people and the modern game just inforced more on that.Just look at Classic,its a game from different time and era with people who also have these “gogo” mentality.
Nowdays everything needs to me min/max efficent if its not “i am wasting my time with you”…the game just digresses more and more in those easy/puggable accessed areas.

3 Likes

Really sad to hear that your friend got treated that way, it leaves an impression that everyone in WoW are like this when in fact many are friendly. There really is no excuse for behaving like this.

For the record, those that are these toxic wanna-be elitists are often not that good at the game, instead they complain on others to give them the illusion that they are skilled. Overconfidence.

4 Likes

When i was leveling my Hpriest, first time i got outdps’d at level 80.
According to this guy i should have vote kick all the groups and farm the dungeons alone? :rofl:

We are not all like this guy.

Also this XP buff made people nuts and acting even more… Like this.
Some found a great chance to level multiple chars for their gold making reasons and that is the reason they act like apes.

Move along, i know its stressful but not all WoW is like this guy xD

I completely agree this is toxic, and I’m not going to excuse him at all, but I think it runs deeper than that.

What is the reason for running into a dungeon? Well, there are many:

1. Seeing the sights
  2. Getting the gear
  3. Getting experience
  4. Completing quests
  5. Collecting toys/mounts/etc

Your friend obviously puts 1) and 4) above everything else, and a bit of 2) would be nice, too. That guy you met? He wants to do 3) above all else and he doesn’t even remotely care about anyone. If it slows him down, it’s outta here.

So what you’ve got here is a group that has been formed with no regards whatsoever for any differences in priority between the 5. At no point has there been any opportunity for the new guy to present himself as such without fear of getting kicked.

The group that was formed by the group finder should not have existed. There should have been a group, obviously, but not that group. Nobody in this group will have an optimal experience, and since everything is so unbelievably anonymous, the desires of others do not matter jack.

I’m not going to excuse this guy. Not at all. He’s a douche, for sure, because he obviously has made no attempts to understand this situation at all. He is just laser-focused on himself.

But I will say that Blizzard has set your friend up for this. This is Blizzard’s design errors. This is the LFG (and LFR) systems doing their thing.

1 Like

The game itself is very unfriendly to new players. When they reach max level they have no idea what to do. Game doesn’t explain anything.

I’ve met so many people both in pvp arena and out world with no essences, low level neck, no legendary cloak, disgusting azerithe traits etc.
a lot of them didn’t even know what corruption effect is.

No matter how thoroughly I explain everything, it is very hard for a new player to get a grasp. So many activities in the game right now.

Not to say that no one is going to accept them into a raid party or m+.

Why don’t they implement an NPC that has all the general info like the Guards of major cities.

3 Likes

This I would agree is partly the fault but also the cross realm grouping, you are meeting random people who you will never see again and for some, this means they think they can behave badly. Before cross realm, a reputation was built on the realm you played on, there were consequences to bad behaviour as your name became known and toxic players could find themselves unable to group or find guilds.

I am not saying we should ‘go back to Classic’ but I do believe some of the systems in place now do cause this ‘we can behave how we like’ mentality. At the end of the day there is always a person behind the character and most forget that you would not randomly insult/bully a stranger in rl, but it is a common theme in game.

It is sad that new players receive such a bad first impression Hável, but as others have suggested, your friend needs to find a nice guild/community. Good luck and take care :slight_smile:

1 Like

Your friend was put in this situation, by the fact that he is new and doesn’t know what hes doing. There will always been noobs, helpful experienced players and ***holes. I’ve helped people and ive also been the ***hole at times. Its an MMO for god’s sake, its essentially the closest representation to real life you can get in a video game. If you can’t handle some toxic prick then stop playing. It doesn’t matter if LFG is in the game or not you are going to get morons and ***holes. Grow a backbone.
I dont mean to sound like the ***hole here but discussions like this are why i cant have PvP gear that is better in PvP than PvE gear, because its “unfair on new players to pvp”. You have to actually play to get good at the game and yes you will have to deal with some unpleasant people but that is what made the game good. Now its just engagement numbers and Collectioncraft. If i have time i will be accepting of new players but you cannot blame someone like myself if we dont want to spend 30 minutes of our day teaching someone who is a mechanically gifted as a sloth. (he’s your friend, maybe go something like a tank so it doesn’t matter whether you run into some ***hole)

It isn’t players fault that the game has the community feel of games like league of legends. Thats on Blizz, but you wont get that back because people want their rewards quick and easy. If you have a community in your game then these people will be well known but nowadays its essentially: Run content —> Get reward —> Leave… and repeat.

I feel for your friend, my boyfriend got treated like crap back in WotLK for not doing enough damage.

He doesn’t pug do this day. If it’s a guild run, fine, otherwise he does solo content like quests or achievements.

A game is made to be enjoyed, it’s leisure time. Some people have no life and see this game as their reason to exist, unfortunately.

4 Likes

Some?understatement.Between the content creators,esport athletes,streamers,boosters its literally those people livelihood.Problem is alot of people project that kind of behavior and mentality to the widespread community,and blizzard with alot of QoL improvements inforced that.

2 Likes

Awfully sorry that this happened to you and your friend- I’d like to think I’d have torn the guy a new one for you (misdirection can be a valuable tool for arguments ^^). Personally I’ve never had this issue to any major degree, so it seems like you just had terrible luck that run. However it seems I am the minority here I’m afraid.

All you can do is just ignore the idiots unfortunately. If you haven’t already, try and get your friend into this guild which has been good to you.

2 Likes

I’m talking about us “normal” players, the people who earn a buck from this game don’t play LFD to level their 500th mage.

Exactly. It’s either a lack of other hobbies or lack of understand that not everyone wants to be a pro. And if you want to be a pro, surround yourself with people that will share your view. Otherwise all effort is for nothing.

2 Likes

the problem whit toxic players is that the rest of us let them get away whit it, if more and more people would start to say no, we do not want toxic players arround us, many would start to understand it is not worth it, and wow would be a better game later on.

this meens instantly when someone tries to votekick a new player, everyone declines, and then vote kick the toxic one instead, but unfortunately this will never happen, people dont dare to do it, becuse they are affraid the toxic person will start to harras them instead, and many others again dont care becuse I didnt know the person who got kicked.

so bottom line is, as long as we tolerate this behaviour, it never ends, the toxic players grow in power thanks to it.

Well, I personally met someone in a WOTLK leveling dungeon who literally asked us if we are seriously going to “boost the druid” we had in the party through the dungeon, simply because the druid was doing 50 DPS in a dungeon where everyone else did 300 or more.

It would help a lot if Blizzard would design the RDF to mix players new to the game together, and only resort to players with experience if the RDF would take ages to form a group together otherwise. Maybe develop a mentor-kind of system to the bunch too, so those who like helping out can do so while the Toxic Saurids can stay in the normal queue.

I personally do not mind what the tempo of the leveling dungeon is, because that is not the thing I focus on while I am in them. I do not think it is fun for any new to the game to just see people zooming through the dungeon, skipping packs or killing bosses faster than they can do anything notable to remember.

Can you even call it boost when it comes to RFC though? It is an introductory dungeon, with little to no difficulty to speak of.

4 Likes

I’d love to do all non-M+ dungeons at the rate of a chill levelling dungeon. It’s so wonderful when you get a chatty, nice group you can dick around with while clearing the dungeon.

God, I need to level my alts more.

3 Likes

thats what timers do to playerbase

its all reason of timers in mythic + and blizzard stupid focus on esports

5 Likes

Just put that guy on ignore and leave it at that…

I’ve rarely seen anyone kicked from a leveling dungeon for underperforming.
Personally I really don’t care about how much DPS people do in leveling dungeons, as long as they’re doing something it’s fine by me. And fine by most other people too I assume.

PUG M+ are full of toxic douchebags and that’s never going to change, so either find a guild/community for it or stay away from it.

Had that happen to me too when i first started this game again after a long break. I went into a dungeon without heirlooms of course and guy started screaming why im not wearing them i should use them etc. I tried explaining that i cant even afford to buy 1 since i just came back to the game but he refused to listen and continued to insult me. Luckily rest of the party members were nice.
This will happen in every game you will meet annoying, toxic people and the best thing to do is to completely ignore them. I always think i dont wanna argue with stupid since there is no point.

If your friend will ever go into bgs just tell him to prepare because thats where the toxicity shines. People insult and yell very easily.

I’d still say most of the playerbase is nice and friendly but sadly there is always few rotten apples in the bag.

1 Like

There are multiple factors contributing to it, ease of access to the dungeons through the RDF tool is one of them. It is extremely easy to replace anyone in the dungeon, and the dungeon difficulty is most of the time so low that you do not need dedicated specs to go through most of them (with obvious exceptions.)

I would contribute time wasters are more to be the cause than timers themselves. I encountered the same issue when I was new and was leveling in WoD. We did not even have M+ back then.

While a lot of the dungeons I go through are sped through (or they go at a slightly faster pace) I always find time to slip in a comment or two. Still, the talkative ones are the best, except when I feel too introverted that day to talk.

Leveling with friends or likeminded people I found to be the best way to get that atmosphere back. It is just hard to find leveling groups around (I stuck with some of the RDF groups I got for two or three dungeons, but that was about it.)

1 Like

A few days ago we had an undead warrior in a levelling dungeon with 800 something achievement points. Clearly a new player. He was doing very low dps, he had low gear and no heirlooms and he was exploring the dunegon as we were going and lagging behind a bit. They were several attempts to vote to kick him with given reason as “noob”.

It was disgusting. Utterly disgusting. If not for my no vote, he would have been kicked. People who show elitism in leveling dungeons deserve no sympathy and must be chastised.

3 Likes

This is why my partner gave up on the game. There are way too many disgusting little people in pugs (but more importantly leveling dungeons) whom for some odd reason have this warped mental view that everyone should know exactly as much as they do.

These people are one of WoW’s biggest problems. They are essentially the frontline of existing players that new starters will run into. So it’s no surprise they’ll be put off and unsub after encountering one of these many scrotes.