Is there a certain villain archetype blindness in WoW's writing?

Correct me if I am forgetting something, but from what I remember, it seems to me that with all the villains that WoW’s storywriting has produced, there is a gaping maw in the segement of villains who practice severe psychological projection, i.e. falsely accuse others and the world around them of exactly the things they themselves are doing.

Might this be a bit too uncomfortable to examine?

1 Like

You’re wanting/expecting far too much from the mind of Steve Danuser. The writing team have never been that imaginative.

3 Likes

Steve Danuser is a groundbreaking writer and has a litany of fantastic works. Although the Shadowlands was not his finest work (still a masterpiece), you are clearly just jealous of both his writing prowess, educational level and superior looks.

1 Like

I gotta say, while I can understand that the requirement to continue a story with some level of consistency can be very challenging and I can give leeway for that, what bothers me about the writing is more in the focused category, the smaller scope of skill. There are some cringy or even WTF moments, and some of them might be messed up by other gameplay aspects, but all too often it is something that would only need a little extra thought to make elegant instead of very upsetting and unimmersive. … But again, that can still be explained by time pressure, THE destroyer of expertise manifest. - Many people want to do a better job but cannot do it under the parameters set.

On the other extreme, the grand scope and theme, the examination of tensions, of human drama, I find somewhat inspiring, if we overlook the blunders in detail, and the expansion’s theme seems very valuable especially in more recent times, particularly the Kyrian virtues applied, Synvalas’ redemption, seeing the grand scheme and such.

I clearly saw an attempt for an interesting tie-in with the afterlife theme, although the more I played, the more it bothered my how it was just another world all too similar to the ‘mortal’ world (and also quite a lot more ‘mortal-style’ than you’d expect), and while I can give creative leeway, it still erodes the dramatic believability to a degree.

1 Like

Pretty much this.

Think less deep, developed characters and more… Peppa Pig.

3 Likes

Thanks, Bariatrican. I haven’t laughed at a forum reply for quite a while! I retract my earlier statement in recognition of the hunky God of Literature that is Steve Danuser. :rofl:

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.