Item level gap too big

I think the issue which caused calls for removing scaling was the fact that Blizzard did not do the scaling right.

I did a fast research for ilvl rewards for shadowlands.

• Normal Dungeons drops Item Level 157 gear at Level 60.
  • Heroic Dungeons drops Item Level 170 gear.
  • Mythic Dungeons drops Item Level 183 gear

We are currently on ~125 ilvl (i am 128 with 475 ilvl before the squish). 157 for normal dungeons on lvl 60 is not that big of a gap, i suppose? We are also supposed to replace our gear while leveling :slight_smile:

It would not be fair for those people that did do the grind and all the hard work getting the gear… you had to grind to get to ilvl 124. idk what item level it was before update maybe 480 or so.

And yes someone who just becomes 50 is low ilvl that was also before update they were around 260 or so you also did not stand a chance in anyway thats why people always were raging about low health noobies in their team and told them to leave…

But just demanding a change to make everything equal in a game were you grind for gear is not logical at all

1 Like

You can make the same argument about M+.

It’s this problem where competition brushes up against the MMORPG.

It’s possible, indeed quite easy, to appeal to both.

People are low skill level and not competitive want to feel like they can work on their characters to become stronger and feel stronger despite their lack of skill, because getting stronger over time is just fun.

People who are high skill and competitive want to feel like their skill is rewarded.

How do you do that? Simple - you put the rewards toward the easier part. People who are really good will rise above it all and start competing purely on skill, and those who don’t have a ladder to climb.

It’s important to ensure that the strength of items peak before the game gets hyper-competitive at the end of seasons. That is to say: All good players should be able to attain the strongest possible gear well before the season ends.

And if it’s 50-60% stronger over an expansion, that obviously implies we’re talking 20% or so even for those who haven’t got the competitive drive and are just getting into the game and building their sets.

What do we get?

1. People who farm more get stronger
  2. At low end, gear matters more, encouraging people to play the game, which causes them to practice
  3. At high end, gear matters less, but people are competitive and engaged already, and will feel the need to practice to win
  4. Nobody ever gets so strong that they can dominate all others with ease.
  5. We’re not messing around with numbers in strange ways. Just good, old-fashioned, honest items.
2 Likes

post edited

Castle Nathria LFR drops ilvl 187 gear
Castle Nathria Mythic drops ilvl 226 gear
That’s not counting the last two bosses that drops gear with ilvl 194 and 233.

This thing on it’s own gives us at least +39 ilvl for just one raid tier. With how the game is going by 8.3 we’ll be getting at least ilvl 240-250 gear from WQ and the raid will give us loot with ilvl around 300.

Yes you are right. The first tier seems to be different rewarded than current :thinking: I am still assuming new tiers will be ‘only’ 26 ilvl.

They should round ilvl bumps between difficulties to 10 instead of 13

How do you know they are noobs if you need gear to chrush them?

4 Likes

If you want that, then go play some moba.

1 Like

I hated, I hate and I will hate that every patch is an expansion.

I hate that Eternal Palace ilvl is same as WQs in 8.3 and Eternal palace was 8.2

THAT’S JUST ONE PATCH

Dont wanna burst your buble but 124 is hardly a “casual”. 130 is mythic gear, with neck/back most geared people are like 135± so… Ofc, cassual can mean a lot of things in this game, but casual wont achieve that ilvl, or will spend whole season geting it.

Also, its only good imo, i geared my paladin and in like 5days i went from 65 to 100+ ilvl, and wasnt even trying that much so it aint impossible, and after all, this is mmorpg, where gear and character progresion should matter.

I agree there is huge gap, but if it wasnt people wont be “forced” to play new content

A big reason for the current stomping is that the catchup gear from the prepatch event isn’t implemented yet. It’d give fresh 50s normal Ny’alotha equivalent stuff.

At this point I’d honestly just give everyone HC-level gear from some vendor, and let people try their new characters properly.

2 Likes

You completely missed the point and vomited some irrelevant nonsense.

I’m not asking for a newly dinged max level to be on par with a toon that has spent weeks/months on end level progression. I absolutely believe that the character that has a significantly larger time investment, should be two times stronger. Honestly, that’s only fair.

However it is completely bonkers, if they are four times stronger.

1 Like

Thats the truth behind wow after every patch everything of the previous patch becomes irrelevant… just like the level squishes after every expansion making you start all over again with getting powerfull… Its simply a time investment nothing more but as long as you have fun it should be okay right?

No.

At this point, it’s 2 years compared to a newly dinged character. Prior to the patch I had 200-300 ilevels more than a newly dinged character. Why should they be anywhere close to my power level?

No.

1 Like

I don’t recall the OP asking for scaling back, from what I understand, they are asking for what many of us have already asked for: an actual ilvl squish that massively reduces the power difference between tiers.

4 Likes

it would - but last years have proven that 99% of “pvpers” dont have any skills and the only thing that bringsthem to “wow-pvp” (which has nothing to do with real pvp ) is the ability to one shot people when they outgear them by 100 itlvs.

basickly wow-pvp is as trash as it has ever been and has nothing to do with how pvp games should look like.

its akin to having 1 team in LoL starting with 10k gold in first second of game while other starts with nothing. ridiculous and garbage - but hey - they overpowered team has “fun” eh :slight_smile:

3 Likes

well its not like you will replace 125 itlv on levels like 51-52

it will be like always in past - if you had mythic raid gear you didnt start to relace it till level 6-7 of new expansion . i didnt play beta but my assumption is that level 51-52 will reward itlv like 100 or even below that

We had that in Legion and it was so disliked by the playerbase Blizzard was forced to remove it just one expansion later.