Learn to play M+?

What is the best way to learn them?

I am thinking of start tanking normal, then HC’s, to get to know boss mechanics. Is that a good way?

I have a lousy memory … so just repeating them over and over again, as a tank where you must know mechanics?

Then start low keys as a dps.

Does that sounds like a good or stupid idea?

I guess looking at youtube vids and reading guides could be a good way. I have looked at many guides at wowhead but it goes out of my memory as soon as I stop reading …

Like you, I have a terrible memory for dungeons. With me, it’s not so much for the boss mechanics, but for the routes, and remembering to stay VERY far left on that corner to avoid pulling … Aaaaaaachhh.

When it does come to mechanics, I also get nothing from videos and written guides. Nothing. Until I have actual experience of the encounter. Then, when I’ve had to deal with whichever swirlies this mob casts, the guides start to make sense to me.

Different things work for different people, I guess.

Your plan seens as solid as it can be, maybe to the point of being overdoing it. A tank at about 220 should pretty much solo almost everything on Normal and Heroic, so maybe you don’t need too much time in the Normals.

If it were me, I’d queue specific, focus on one dungeon for three or four runs in a session. Look up guides between each run, while it’s fresh in your mind. That will help reinforce the memory of that dungeon. A great opportunity is while one of those zone Challenges callings is up, that permits the running of a dungeon as an alternative to the World Quest. There’s one in Bastion closing tonight, IIRC.

Even better would be to find a group to do them with, and start at M0, but finding a coherent group for non-top content is the hardest thing in WoW, so your plan is probably as good as it gets, from a practical standpoint. :+1:

3 Likes

Thanks!!!

Did not even think of routes :slight_smile:

Yea … I’m like 255 in my tank gear now so I guess the mechanics dont matters so much when in normals.

But doing them a few times in a row, sounds like a good idea. Then even my memory would get it after a while, and looking at guides in between. Great tip.

1 Like

m+ is the most toxic thing in wow,you will only lose your time and pacience for nothing.

start playing pvp thats where the real fun is,killing other people ,not npcs against a timer with toxic people.

oh and if you gonna tank get ready to study the dungeons in your spare time or you will just be kicked from making a mistake like walking out of the route and time.

1 Like

tnx, did not know that. does not sound so fun. i like chill mode. not high keys

doing a little pvp but so bad at it, not even tried rated.

really slow reactions. im to old i guess.

As for routes,there is the addon Mythic Dungeon Tools where you plan your route.
You can queue as a dps in a very very low key (+2) and watch the route that tank follows.
A good advise is to record your runs and learn from mistakes.
255 is super nice.

Do not pay attention to toxicity. Not every run is going to be smooth and although tanks may have the highest responsibility upfront, as the key increases all roles need to play their part to finish the dungeon.

For start you can run your own keys

1 Like

Pvp goes with time ,just play random battlegrounds and buy the 259 ilvl honor gear in oribos pvp npc,np if you re slow,pick a class that uses low haste like retribution paladin or arms warrior,with full conquer gear i have around 5 % haste what makes the gameplay somehow slower and its the best for retribution with high mastery / versa ,cant compare with gameplay like fury for instance that is very fast.

1 Like

You’re right, of course.

I just want to clarify that by “route”, I don’t mean the hyper-engineered exact-percentage routes used by the M+ Pros, but simply - do I turn left or right here? do I take this boss first or that one? It is possible to skip this pack, and if I do, what are the chances someone else will pull it? The more basic stuff like that.

Just knowing which way you expect to be going is a really big thing when you see a dungeon for the first time.

1 Like

Do you only play Horde?

If, by any chance, your tank happens to be on Alliance side, I can suggest a community that’s wonderful for people learning a new role. Others might be able to help with something similar if you only play Horde side.

1 Like

:joy:
I get flamed & votekicked for not being geared in random battlegrounds, oh please

yeah, only horde unfortunately. is it perky pugs?

tnx for all other replies. i guess the route thing is not that important when playing low keys, which is my goal (havent started yet , vacation)

i enjoy pvp! but only not rated. having a few classes at 60 i feel that i need to chose one to focus on, the honor grind is quite long to get a little gear. the ones i know best are dk, dh and bm hunter. also have warr, rogue and pally as 60. dh might be the least hardest for me to learn here.

1 Like

just practice mate…if you wanna throw yourself in to the M+ game…all you need to do is just practice…forget about routes,specific comps,weird strats etc etc…just do your M0 runns,get a bit of gear…get in to the +2 +5 range…stay there for a bit…try to pull 2 packs at the time but not more than that…read all your spells tooltips…you will be amazed of how much you will learn just by doing that…
And…understand your class…i assume u want to play Prot Pal…you are basically an interrupting Boot…AV shield,kick,stunn,mass AV shield if u have the lego (you should btw)…Go for the most defensive build possible…get Holy Shield,First avenger,Fist of justice,Unbreakable,Consecrated ground and last stand…gear in to haste/mastery or haste/versa,save instant Word of Glory for yourself when you need it,manage your Shield of the Right as best as you can (it should more or less be your top prio to always have it up,but it is haste depended…a lil bit of a hit or miss around low lvl play/low haste) and understand the affixes…they REALLY make or break the key…
Other then that…practice practice and more practice…once you feel comfortable to pull 2 packs offten in 5s…jump twords 7-10 range…struggle there …more practice…move on…
and…last but prob the most important of them all…get familiar with macros or find a way to keybind your stuff in such a way that it feels very comfortable for you…like…a very dumb example…don’t key bind your Bubble on 1…you don’t use it that often anyway…
hope it helps…
Yours,
S.

2 Likes

Dont listen too PvPers regarding toxicity and you’re gametime will be much better. Their content hasn’t been touched for yeaaaars.

I share that way of learning so in my opinion the best way for someone to learn the routes and mechanics would be to practice running multiple dungeons until he or she gets a hang of it in my opinion.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.