Let's talk about corruptions and why they aren't good

Hello! Hope you’re all safe and all.

Tonight I want to adress the issue of corruptions such as gushing wounds, IS, mind flay, and their ridiculous damage in instanced PvP combat.

First of all, their random chance to proc means a random chance for an attempt at counterplay for most of these (the exception being gushing wounds, which you can only counter by…not being damaged?).

For example, while it does take 1 auto-attack to kill a tentacle which siphons around 5-10% of your hp per tick, it’s completely hard to kill it if :

• It spawns 60 yards away from you.
  • You’re CCed and your team mate cannot reach it, as it’d mean overextension / wasting time.

This, in turn, heavily reduces the counterplay ability of any given player.

Let’s say you’re about to have your DPS get bursted down. IS procs and you have to dispel that. Then enemy healer uses claw, which you cannot counter because you had to counter IS. You might be a monk to double dispel, and oh! They use HoJ or some other dispellable CC on the DPS and you can’t dispel it for a few seconds. This means that it was up to chance. *

Furthermore, gushing wounds just applies immense passive pressure to the enemy team, doing a lot of a player’s damage in PvP.

Probably the worst of all interactions is priest as a class now being able to use mind control to deny healing and counterability to these, as well as do damage… I personally have had myself in a stun when a priest procced tentacles & those killed my warrior DPS while he was in mind control.

What would’ve been me getting out of the kidney to cc priest & heal warrior quickly, as I had my burst healing became a loss because of an interaction.

I want to hear your unlucky experiences with corruptions in instanced PvP combat (specifically arenas 2v2 and 3v3), and why you think they’re broken. (Or why not, if you’re one to debate they’re a good addition to Player versus Player!)

*That scenario is incredibly hypothetical and I do not know if it can happen, but I tried to describe such.

Corruptions are absolutely unfair and should have been disabled in PvP combat to begin with. In theory, they are literally “pay to win” since you can buy for mils of gold targeted corruptions and there are sites providing such services to transfer an item to you from other realms’ AHs.

There is literally NOTHING you can do about someone doing extra 20-25% extra damage due to gushing wound stacking or warlocks dishing out chaos bolts in sub 1 sec cast. There is no control over what corruptions you get and if you are unlucky, you may not even get to see the best ones ever. (Yes I yet have to as well see any IS/TD/% vers or multiple gushings despite of being 12/12 Mythic and doing weekly 2.4k bracket wins)

Not to even mention that the moment you loot trinkets from caches, besides visions, you are done for a week pretty much.

My last 5 caches were trinket-azerite-trophy-trophy-azerite. There should have been some sort of a token or enchant-slot-item with a corruption if you simply get “bad rng” and get an item unable to corrupt.

It is mindblowing the damage of corruptions or their impact in PvP has not been nearly adressed at all.

So basically, get lucky with corruptions or forget achieving high rating. I am tired of autolosing to other melee stacked with lash of the void/gushing wound.

Another thing worth a mention is reaping flame, essence on-use doing 80k damage is not okay.

3 Likes

Completely agree 100%!

To be competitive you need to have the BiS corruptions for your class!!.. at least to compete at high ratings

I thought I hated titanforging but I absolutely despise Corruption.
Not only is it still a low chance that your item will ‘corrupt’, but even worse that there are 19 different corruptions that it could be!! Mix this in with getting the correct secondary stats & its slim to none!

• On the Realm I play, TCG Loot: Woolly White Rhino mount is $3mil gold on AH.
  • 12% Haste/Mastery/Versat from all sources BoE gear is $4-5mil gold. BONKERS.

My other gripe is the poor game design behind Infinite Stars & Essence Procs… These can proc from a DoT & still hit you even if you are out of Line-Of-Sight, trying to recover.

Double raden weapon is like multiple gushing wounds but with slows,and aoe.
That weapon tilts me so hard in 2s when i fight demon hunters it even procs DURING DISARM for some unknown reason
and most of the time its top dmg ofc because why not :slight_smile:
(yes i know gettiku is broken aswell)

Today, I died from a tentacle inside smokebomb despite both me and the tentacle being in the bomb. Fun.

3 Likes

Same yesterday, rogue vanish garrot me so I couldn’t killed it and got kidney bomb after.

Send your pet on it…

I couldn’t because of the bomb he struggle to target it.

And I got it for 65k tick I got the screenshot btw.

You need to order it to the location and then have it melee it. It works. It’s the best thing you can do in this situation, use this advantage as not all classes can so that !

Its far stronger then get ikku

If only I had one!

Thx mate but I’m not stupid, I know how to control my pet but in this situation he wasn’t there (looking for a cc on the healer probably I don’t remember right). =)

That’s indeed the issue of most of the specs!

So you cant kill tentacles inside bombs? Interestingly bomb doesn’t break the channel of a tentacle either so you cant bomb someone defensively if say the tentacle is too far away to kill and its going to kill them.

1 Like

You can only melee them afaik, my fireblasts didn’t work.

1 Like

What. I wanna see this.

You can but only in melee somehow.

This is not a bug, this is the normal behavior for every channel. Penance, monk mist, sp mind flay, lasso, a channel is not interrupted by Bomb. They are also not stopped by LoS (you can penance and then hide for instance) although that has been changed only for tentacle a while back because that was much too powerful.

Not surprising. With today’s corruption resistance you can go flay 5, possibly flay 6, without being over 40. A crit and you’re good to go.

1 Like

I don’t know man. I don’t play with any corruptions despite it being a handicap on the char I’m trying to use for 2s right now (because I’m against them, so I made a challange for myself not to use any) and somehow got past the 1.8 bracket. A lot of easy losses to being 40-0d, but a lot of satisfying wins once you win against those overpowered people.

I’ve seen 100k tick on the US forum so I guess 65k is a baby one ^^

Like shadenox says you can go higher rn and even more few weeks later.

If blizzard don’t put a cap this is gonna be way more powerful in few month

1 Like

While i would of preferred this i still don’t think it would be a huge problem if we could target the gear and corruptions we actually need. This entire expansion has been plagued by serious yolo rng. Those of us that can’t mythic raid get our bis items from rolling the dice once a week.

It’s now inflated another 64 times with this corruption system. It’s a big meme and right from the get go corruption was a broken system. This expansion has been a write off and the gearing process is imo the number one contributor to that.