Level Squish Thread - Why it would not work

And yes you could round it off to lv5 to 10, 11 to 15, etc… However at that point people that used to be the highest in their bracket aren’t any longer which also means that they have to re-obtain all of their gear much of which they can’t even get anymore due to unobtainable items – long story short you’d screw over a lot of people.

OR you could just not do any of this ridiculousness and just create an amazing Talent system, return Class quests and Class trainers and finally make mobs deal more damage and suddenly the entire leveling process is much, much more fun again – which screws over nobody and keeps everyone totally happy.

Be afraid. Be very afraid.

That’s how I felt about level and ilevel scaling, and yet it happened. Blizzard don’t throw these ideas out unless they’re considering them seriously.

If it does happen, watch the other hand. One of Blizzard’s methods is to distract everyone by saying they’re doing X, while in the process sliding in another change where nobody is watching, and Presto! - before you know it, you’re holding a card you didn’t want.

1 Like

Oh I am.

I fully expect that happening actually. That’s one of the reasons I’m against this change aside for all of the obvious negatives and fár better alternatives.

When you really get down to the real issue of the matter it’s clear that a level squish would be a completely pointless change.

1 Like

Exactly.

Just write an addon to change all the level numbers on your screen by dividing them in half.

Job done.

IF that was the real objective.

No worries… I get the gist … Ion makes comment, invites feedback, ignores everyone, ruins game again… blah blah.

I’d save your breath to be honest. They would have to first unravel the ravellings and mess that the game has become. So pretty pointless saying anything really. They aint listening.

While I really do not want to make Ion out to be a villain I would be lying if I didn’t admit that this is what I fear.

I think they already made their decided .

By adding conditions to the algorithm that does it…

And level 1 is the only level that can not be halved, 3 would become 1 and half experience bar, 5 would be become 2 with half experience bar.

That was a struggle to work out wasn’t it…

Keep in mind I’m describing top level design choices and possible changes, nothing more. I’m not about to discuss the entire inner workings of a class in which ever language they used and how that change needs to be cascaded to each and every single element of the game.

Frankly that would be a waste of time, the overall top level suggestion is enough.

But it’s not difficult to do, which was my point.

As to other numbers…that’s their choice on how to do it or what scale they use.

The simple fact is if it can be thought about it can be coded to be a reality and this is far from the most difficult thing to do.

I don’t think the level squish is a good answer to the levelling. It will bring more problems and the world would become even more nonsensical when it comes to story and flow of expansions.

I think there is a better way: Make levelling more fun and rewarding. They wanted some specific ideas so here are mine:

• Provide the full rotation of spells way way waaaaaay sooner.
  • Don’t think of spells as rewards for gaining a level. Look at: transmogs, pets, mounts, money, toys, extra reputation, buffs,…
  • Keep adding content to past expansions to keep it fresh.
  • Maybe think of adding world quest for low levels. One’s that would add to the conflict/story of the zone. If you’re afraid of new players being overwhelmed: activate them after you reached max level with one character.
  • Give experience to all gathering professions aka skinning/fishing.

Plenty of other ways to make levelling better in my opinion. But it starts with: not completely ignore older expansions.

What I find most astonishing is apparently Ion, and presumably the other devs, are also smoking the same potent substance as all those players who seem to argue that 120 is somehow this insanely high number in an RPG.

Let’s call the duck a duck shall we? You people have no interest in breaking down the mile high wall of a three digit number. It’s a ploy to HALVE the levelling speed-- because AHOY! people are already crying yet again about levelling taking too long.

Oh the hilarity mommy. Bolt my sides together for they may split.

You can never appease those people Blizzard. Only when the game is reduced to logging in and jumping on a massive red button to rain everything in the game with cute kittens attached will they be happy. Oh actually, on the forums soon after people will complain they have to walk up to the button and then press the spacebar to jump.

If they already made their decision they wouldn’t be asking for feedback. Let’s give them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to whether or not they’re serious on wanting feedback.

Why push for an unnecessary change when the same, possibly better result can be achieve with a much simpler, different change?

Because their outlook is long term, and to address more than any single thing.

It’s a choice that makes little sense now but will impact the game on a grander scale going forward.

Level number means very little too me, I’d be happy to see them all go but I wouldn’t force that on people either.

it’s a number means nothing, changes nothing.

If their outlook is long-term then they shouldn’t nerf the levels and just put a cap at 120, without ever increasing the level cap again infuture expansions.

If they go the squish route they’ll have to do it ágain in the future, after several expansions have passed again.

In a negative way.

Then why even bother with this change at all.

1 Like

That’s just your opinion.

As I have no investment in the actual number I can’t see it in a negative perspective or positive it’s just a number.

that’s something they could have done 6 expansions ago and didn’t.

So they won’t do it again.

it’s a solution to their problem.

No it’s not. Wasting weeks of developer time and money to re-design many systems in the game to fit the now-squished levels and having to re-balance everything isn’t a positive thing.

“We haven’t done that yet, so we shouldn’t do so in the future.” is not a good argument. At all.

You don’t grasp it at all, it’s just math…There is no re- design required.

They developed the scaling system for the entire game for BFA already so they can pretty much move a slider and change the entire games difficulty from one place.

There is. Read the actual threads. You can’t just change up the numbers and expect everything to remain the same. That’s not how any of this works.

…Again, that’s not how any of this works.

sigh

fine let them add in multiple class trainers of no value takes no time at all according to you…

let them add in old talent trees that have zero value, that’s a massive re-design that would take months on it’s own never mind anything else but sure have at it.

we can just level up to 130 in next expansion and watch as more potential new players say f off i’m not doing that.

so sure go ahead and campaign for it, worthless aspects of the old game don’t need to return.

I think that there should be a special questline if you are leveling alts, to speed up the process. If you have already leveled a character from 0 to 120, then there is no reason why you should have to continue going through that same content over and over.

For example do you need to have a garrison each time you level an alt in the WOD content? Do you always need to have a garden in Pandaria? How many times does one have to relive Wrathgate? You get my drift.

Great a special questline or even a special Caverns of Time like area for people who are leveling alts, with enough quests to get them from 0 to 110. After 110 let them complete the BFA content as it is the most recent content, then do this for any future content.

Less time and less effort than having to squish the levels of literally everything and balancing it out.

Show me ONE person that said that about 120.

You’re allowed to have that opinion but many would disagree with you.