Limited-Availability Rewards

I would like to talk about Limited-Availability Rewards and how I feel they are a bad design for WoW in particular.

In WotLK, I got “the Undying” in Naxx10
I did not get “the Eternal” because I did not have a big enough raid group of skilled/geared people to do Naxx 25 without anyone dying.
However, I got Undying with TotC gear. So it was “easy mode”.
Those that got those titles with Naxx gear deserve true recognition.

Similarly, in Legion I completed all 36 Mage Tower Challenges
It felt great, but looking back, even though it requires skill regardless of how much gear you have, many of them were done the “easy way”, late in the expansion with massive AP and gear, because quite frankly I didn’t have time (or inclination) to grind the challenge on 36 specs at the highest possible difficulty, and as such I don’t feel that accomplished.
Those that did it early with great difficulty and dedication deserve true recognition.

In both cases, I don’t feel like I got it because I’m extremely dedicated or skilled.
I feel like I got it simply because I was subscribed at that time.

In both cases, Blizzard could have locked the iLevel or add an iLevel restriction like they did in some WotLK achievements.

Same with M+15 skins.

Essentially, permanently removing those challenges from the game doesn’t accomplish anything worthwhile because most people probably massively overgeared those challenges.

Wouldn’t it make much more sense to ensure everyone gets it fairly?

I wholeheartedly believe limited-availability rewards are a terrible design for a game like WoW.
This game should be all about retroactive value in building your account, not regret and frustration.

This is valid for MoP/WoD Challenge Modes as well.

I accept Blizzard TEMPORARILY removing these challenges when a new expansion comes out so that they can properly tune them for the new class mechanics before putting them back into the game - possibly after the final raid tier is out so that no other changes are required after that point.

Blizzard has the Tech to make that (and much more) happen.

2 Likes

I think the Temporary thing is the key part here.
I’d say give it a expansion gap so people can hold it above them, then just let people buy the old stuff with time walking tokens.
Or add them to the darkmoon faire. Let you get imitation versions of items that way.

As long as the items are shown to not be the originals. Add replica before it, and we’re golden.

Pvp I feel the same, replica pvp gear. Maybe charge them some marks of honor ontop of the tickets.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.