LOW FPS with a good laptop

Hi there,
First of all, thank you for reading this post.

I have a few questions about my laptop regarding my FPS.
I know laptops arn’t ment for hardcore gaming and the components arn’t as good as in a desktop. That said.

I have a laptop with:
i7 9750H
GTX 1660 TI 6GB (not the Max Q)
16 GB work
M.2 PCI express x4 250 gb
144hz monitor.
Windows 10 pro.

Thinks I’ve done so far:
In control panel Nvidia, I dedicated my GPU to WOW.
Updated all drivers including windows.
I also checked my temps and those are fine 60c to 70c at max.
I also did some google and I read everywhere that it’s a CPU bounded game.

When I play wow on full max setting and stand in SW I bearly get 55 FPS in Boralus I nearly get 45 FPS.

Now comes the weird part. (at least what I think is weird)
I have this laptop for 3 day’s and my old laptop was doing the same FPS as this new one.

Old laptop:
i7 8750H
GTX 1060 6gb
Normal SSD
8Gb work
120hz monitor
Windows 10 pro.

So, why is my new laptop not doing anything better than my old one.
How come i bearly get decent FPS with this hardware?
Anyone that can help me with, Did i do something wrong or …what?

And no, i am not selling or buying a PC. So skip those answers.

your not alone, i got a 1080 ti and a 9900k and i get around the fps you do in stormwind and boralus. it’s not your system its the game itself.

1 Like

Your new laptop has less than 10% better single core cpu performance vs the old one, so the fps is pretty much the same. Might be even less if the cooling is worse than in the old one. The gpu is 30% (?) better so you can atleast up the resolution a bit.
Things that could help:
Undervolting cpu for better turbo clocks
Turning down view distance to 7, doesn’t do much and lowers cpu load I think

1 Like

Does it really give benefits on Intel CPU (assuming thermals/power limit is reached)?

WoW isn’t that easy to give high framerate. It’s more likely to get similar framerate at bit higher resolution. The game doesn’t excessively use CPU or GPU, sometimes it’s exaggerated. It just has a complex system that “has to work” and can limit game performance. As a comparison - WoW Classic or some old places in WoW retail offer vastly better performance as the queues and systems are cut down/limited there.

For big complex structures to render you would need a much stronger GPU - so Boralus may be GPU limited (but there is way more to this game than just GPU and CPU compute performance). As a reference my results for 3440x1440 resolution, mode 7, Threadripper 1920X:

• Boralus flyby, Vega 64: 63FPS 1% low, 80FPS avg
  • Boralus flyby, GTX 1050 Ti: 50 FPS 1% low, 60 FPS avg

But in a simple old zone:

• Stonard, Vega 64: 150 FPS 1% low, 165 FPS avg
  • Stonard, GTX 1050 Ti: 68 FPS 1% low, 78 FPS avg

And there is more like semi-transparency effects that hammer GPU pixel fill rate/memory bandwidth (or something related) or game addons that can also destroy game performance if misbehaving :wink:

What you can do is go to a spot that has stable “bad” FPS and check every quality setting one by one optimizing between performance and visual quality. I would try avoid decreasing view distance to much as it can make world look very non-immersive. Example of such per-setting optimization with comparisons can be found on:

• https://www.logicalincrements.com/games/wow
  • https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hp8Dn1FzGI8

And my benchmarks and stuff: https://rk.edu.pl/en/benchmarking-and-analyzing-world-warcraft-performance/

1 Like

Oke, thanks for the time you spend by writing it.

When I am ingame in eighter SW or Boralus i see constand my CPU is between 30isch and 40% use at 3,66mhz at 45 temp while my GPU is at 12% ish use and 50ish temp.

Still around 45 FPS in Boralus and 55 till 60 in SW.

Yep, the game isn’t limited purely by CPU or GPU efficiency but more by a bandwidth limit of some sort.

2 Likes

Hey,

I had this problem for a while. Make sure your machine isnt being limited in the Nvidia settings for being a laptop. My machine was limited to 60fps for “performance mode”. When i turned it off, i can get 80-100 fps on your old laptop specs. They are very similar to mine!

This will fix your problem. The setting is in Nvidia GUI, can’t remember exactly but its pretty obvious once you find it the first time xD

1 Like

You mean in the 3d or nvidia experience settings? Is it one setting of multiple settings? I really can’t find what you are saying :slight_smile: