Make Leveling great again ft. lvl squish

Most people roll alts to play them endgame, making the leveling process a necessary evil when they have been through this process an xx amount of times.

When you have a bunch of level capped toons and for various reasons want to play another toon at level 120, you want the leveling process to be as fast and painless as possible.

I do see your point of view, and i respect that different people have different needs and preferences.

Therefore, this should be optional. It kind of is optional now to, but i see no problem in making leveling really fast for those who want it, and slow/challenging/whatnot for those who want that.

There is. You can equip heirlooms. I’m almost certain even without heirlooms questing speed has never been faster. With heirlooms you can reduce even taht to half.

My friend leveled a character from 20 (allied race start) to 120 in extremely short time.

If you are asking for anything faster than it is now, you are lazy and impatient. There is no way around it.

I like leveling but can hardly say it is fun or something that would make me want to play if I where new to this game

It’s a sign that blizzard needs to do it better if a lot of players don’t see it as a “good waste of time” and just want to skip it altogether

1 Like

Me myself never level the same class twice (Only when i had that class in the past on a different account etc) but i think nowadays you learn all specs[quote=“Khareal-emerald-dream, post:42, topic:37791”]
There is. You can equip heirlooms. I’m almost certain even without heirlooms questing speed has never been faster. With heirlooms you can reduce even taht to half.

My friend leveled a character from 20 (allied race start) to 120 in extremely short time.

If you are asking for anything faster than it is now, you are lazy and impatient. There is no way around it.
[/quote]

Everyone leveling an alt for endgame purposes want leveling to be as fast as possible.

First time i leveled an alt it was fun and nostalgic, and kind of enjoyable also the second and maybe even the third time. But the leveling content for both factions are only enjoyable to a certain degree, of course people get fed up by it.

I wouldnt cry if it got even faster, but atm. leveling as a pandaren monk its as fast as can be, im not complaining.

But making everything slower and harder because some people want it that way? That would just be meaningless.

I have no problem with leveling being as slow as vanilla, or even slower, as long as i can level my alt(s) at the current speed or faster.

Leveling should always exist in relevant form.

All these people are basically demanding its removal. I’m up for stuff that makes it better, but any of these “lets make it faster. Its too slow”, ect. are just bad. Very bad.

It is already faster than it has ever been (at least questing).
You got ways to make it really fast and basically do it in very short time, if you really want to.

I have leveled so many characters that I can remember each and every zone trough. I remember where everything is and how to optimize my path. Which path has easy and fast quests and which have slow and annoying quests. Yet I still level alts.
Those of you who just want another alt, as said you got your ways to basically skip it. Dont ruin things for people who actually consider leveling “content” even if you dont.

1 Like

Having both options available doesn`t ruin anything for one another.

People who want either this or that always want it “My way or the highway”

If i wanted leveling to be a slow painful grind as it used to be, why would i want it to be like that for those who want it as fast as possible? Doesnt make sense.

I’m not alone, and I totally agree with the main point of OP. I played classic WoW just a little, but I remember that even journey to Deadmines felt like something important, felt like real adventure. Game began from 1st level in classic, and now even on 60 everything still means nothing.

But I’m more about PvE, so I thought more about :

1. Group quests. What’s wrong was with them? There were lots of fun in Redridge Mountains or Loch modan. They were challenging, and you could try yourself as healer or tank or rdd, to learn to play in a group. I would bring them back

2. Dynamic events. If, for example, Ashenvale is contested territory, why not to let Horde or Alliance to control some main points, why not to bring real WAR here?
    For now, it feels more like Disneyland, than like a war. “Hop on the wind rider! Press 1 to throw out the bomb! BOOM! BOOM! You bombed Astaranaar! Wow! Take your lollipop and we are going to the Stonetalon mountains to another attraction!” . But it requires no skill, no friends, no brains, and means nothing at all. Nobody in Astaranaar even knew about this bombing. But it could! Let Astaranaar to be really occupied and give an Alliance a possibility to win it back, why not? . It is WARcraft, isn’t it?

3. Interesting mechanics in low-level dungeons. Challenge is not about beating very-fat-boss with pressing 1 button for 20 minutes. There can also be evading, or special events for special classes (only for RDD, for example). There is much of it on high levels, but why low-level dungeons are now so brainless? There are lots of wonderful stories, and they are now ruined by brainless gameplay.

4. Professions. Let them be solid. From lvl 1 to 500 or so. Not separate profession for each addon. Separate professions ruin the whole feeling of alive world. It feels more like several worlds. You are in one from 1 to 60, and you are in second world from 60 to 80, and so on. And everyting from the old world means nothing in the next. That is very strange.

After all, lvl squish is great idea. 120 is psychologically big number. 80 is much more comfortable.

1 Like

Challenge in a sense and in my eyes is anything that is not press 1 23 kill mob. From kitting a mob, into moving away from its aoe effect or having to CC 1 mob while killing an other, is a challenge. There’s a difference between doing that and pressing slam slam mortal strike dead.

2 Likes

The word for this is “Nostalgia”

As a person who grew up in the nineties i get the same feeling whenever i play NES-games like Super Mario 1/2/3, or as a retired army veteran when i sense the smell of diesel fuel. Same stuff mon.

Gotta be realistic tho: Its okey to dwell in the past and memorize the good times, at the same time they are not coming back.

The vanilla wow experience and magic is not coming back. We can try and wish, but the times are changing.

Ofc. this was a big thing when you did it for the first time. But lets face it, it is never gonna happen again, because the majority of players are not interested in spending alot of time and effort in low-level content.

9/10 players you see through lowlvl content are there because they have to, so they can move on and get that alt to 120, and then start to work towards their goals whatever they may be, not to get a challenge or experience since theyve gone through it all a lot of times before and probably will again.

Let this be a classic thing when it releases. There is absolutely nothing good in making leveling slower and harder on regular servers. Vanilla was a totally different game in a totally different time, and implementing this in modern day wow will only cause more people (Myself included probably) to unsubscribe.

Personally I would give players the option to switch scaling off so they can choose themselves the level of mob they want to fight. SO I get to farm and gather in grey areas and not be troubled by trash mobs… and also skip over into higher level zones if I feel like taking on higher level mobs.

Time was I had the greys to the back of me and reds to the front. Now all I get is boring yellows… for like ever. That is what is making this game boring. SCALING ruined everything. It killed World of Warcraft. It is lazy game design. And we swallowed it.

Man how I wish I could turn back the clock and actually enjoy the game again.

2 Likes

squishing the level to 80-90 could be a thing, and at same time make every dungeon in game or atleast any dungeon from tbc to bfa, cap at max level, where gear from the would be somewhat relevant again, make most of them work whit M+, raids same or atleast all raids from tbc up, heck some already are max level during time walking and gear there can be an uppgrade, this would give people way more to do, and way more options to gear up their chars, would everyone like it, probably not, could there be to many dungeons to choose from, maby but at same time it would make things more intresting, when you all of an sudden get M+ key for lets say Shadowlabs.

also revamping zones would be needed, atleast for TBC and wrath zones, they are outdated, cata, mop, zones already cap at 80-90 so they are fine, legion and bfa zones would have to be nerfed down including the dungeons and raids there.

doing that would give people way more options in what items to use, and could give way more divercity in gameplay also, also a total overhaul of skills you earn is needed big time.

is it worth doing on this old game, no idea, but it could meen a fresh start, specialy if tbc and wrath would get a rewamp in to current era, and make the lore actualy make sence more specialy for tbc.

1 Like

there’s three other threads going for this already and you had to open a fourth?

Well, if 90% are not interested in old content, and for 10% it seems brainless and not challenging, why not to delete this stuff at all? Delete all this Kalimdor, Eastern Kingdoms, Pandaria, Northrend and other stuff except Kul’Tiras and Zan’dalaar ? Level 110 will become 1. Level 120 will become level 10. Then rename game to “World of Kul’Tiras and Zandalar” and everyone will be happy, am I not right? I think: either make old content something meaningful OR delete it. No other way.

Let us not to mix different meanings of different words. There are different dimensions of gameplay and of levelling in particular. “Slow-Fast” is one dimension. “Easy-Hard” is another. “Boring-Interesting” is the third. Of course they are all interconnected, but as a developer, you can find the optimal balance between all this things. And all what I want to say: it is POSSIBLE to make levelling interesting, challenging and fast enough. There are some real examples in other MMORPG games.
For example, in the game whose name begins with G(not an advertisement :slight_smile: ) you have group quests from lvl 1. You kill your first world boss on lvl 5 (on lvl 5, Carl!). And on 15 you have all this aoe-mob-skill-evading stuff OP has described. And levelling there is two times faster than in WoW. So, you can feel the real spirit of MMORPG since the beginning and don’t have to spend much time to level up. It is possible! And in WoW you need to grind up to 120 only to BEGIN playing. That is the thing I don’t like. Blizzard could always make gameplay of top-of-the-top quality, and it is strange for me that they’ve leaved it as is for now. And I’m not talking about stealing elements from other games, I just want to show that it is possible. Especially for such an experienced company like Blizzard.

You are right but only for 30% or so :slight_smile: It is not possible to return old feelings of old gameplay. But I think it is possible to make some new gameplay to make the same old feelings of real adventure. That’s what I want.

to be honest every time i ding i don’t feel excited atm and i usually unlock nothing folks.

I’m not even bothered about unlocking stuff, I’m merely trying to get to the finish line. However, we’re all different.

Garbage game design won’t fix leveling issues, squish will break more things than fix.

Entitled kids got all they asked for.

Please nerf leveling moar!

maybe they wil lfix the game! : )

You completely exaggerate when you say mobs do 0 damage ofc but I do agree that levelling is most certainly boring if you are talking about an alt when you already have a max level char.

Please don’t suggest paid level boost or I shoot you in da face.

What I absolutely hate is the quality of levelling quests, e.g. 90% ‘kill X number of mobs’. Currently at L86 on my Zandalari Troll, I have 5,238 mob kills and EVERY ONE was a chore and a pitass.

Churning through 14 years of often ancient and completely outdated content is NO FUN.

Also, the links between quests and expansions are hopelessly broken and leave you completely bewildered at times. This game lost its way after every expansion in terms of continuity and quality, testing is just a minimal these days.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.