Many people only recently found out that cloning service is no longer available

Hence all these posts. Including myself.

When cloning service was first announced, there was no talks about it being ever suspended at some point. And we all kind of been in the loop on this one at the time cuz TBC was coming out and we wanted to know how things gonna workout etc. So we kinda forgot after a while.

Myself I only recently found out about it. That last July they suspended or deleted (whatever tf they did) and only because I craved to return to classic.

Our colleagues from US forums have expressed those concern in detail so go visit US forums. Hours and hours being wiped out with no warning.

Blizz does everything backward. Cloning brings money especially now when Classic experiencing surge, many people either decide to start from scratch or not at all. I think in the end there is big revenue lost. My brother for example had 2 lvl 60 chars and he played on and off throughtout classic. Wanted to comeback, raid, do some pvp but idea of starting from scratch is just not in his ball park.

Myself I had 3 unfinished raiding chars which I wanted to finish. I spend so much freaking time on gearing, grinding, raiding and prospect of starting from scratch its also not for me.

11 Likes

Everyone was in the exact same boat,

You pick tbc or era, if you picked tbc stop complaining, you had a choice, you made a choice, live with it.

8 Likes

And people wonder why Seasons need a gigantic exp buff to get people to play it and why fresh realms like the WoTLK ones died down :smiley:

Not sure why Blizzard went with clone option for characters instead of just available but they did what they did.

Do you really want to raidlog AQ40 and Naxx that badly? PvP cluster is over-commercialized and bottled so you would have to run GDKP to even see the raids, not to mention Naxx gankers running around and making people transfer to the PvE cluster.

There is no info about cloning coming back and it’s not even expected. If it won’t show up alongside HC then the only option would be the next season which likely will have faster leveling and progression.

Not at the start no.

As I have posted many times before they can’t bring it back the data is gone.

That’s right, as I posted, it’s gone forever.

1 Like

Thats exactly my point. They only said it last year in May and what was it like; begining on Sunwell if im not mistaken. Personally I never saw these posts. I knew about clone service but my understanding was it will be there forever.

Blizz didnt even make an effort to put launcher message or send email to people. Instead making forum posts and expect every single person to read them.

3 Likes

A lot of people thought it would be like the other services Blizzard supply, but the actual service is not like the other services and in my opinion used up a lot of storage space and something needed to be done about that.

You did have quite some time to activate your clones and the service did drop in price at the end.

Again, did I knew about that?

1 Like

It’s not Blizzards job to educate you on what they are doing or contact you directly about it. There were the three posts I linked telling you about it, they have EU counterparts too.

But the problem is there is like thousands of people who didnt know. Not just me. I can easily say 50-70% didnt knew about that.

2 Likes

We all agree that there was a lack of communication from Blizzard. Now we all need to realize that the data is not available and the service has been discontinued.

The problem is people say “Oh it’s like classic and the data is still there” When Classic is based on the Legion software.

Or “Blizzard wouldn’t delete the data”, when the data is actually not needed as they activated all the inactive clones on TBC/Wrath. The way it should be as most would want the natural progression.

Along with the many other copium statements that have no basis in fact. wasn’t it like 14 months people had to choose to go free to Era or TBC or pay to do both.

But they knew they could clone their characters while the service was available for years. And they did not. And the reason “why” was pretty clear: cloning was not free, and the servers were for all practical purposes dead. Cloning anything onto them was basically wasting money.

And at the point the service got retired, nothing of the above has changed. It still cost money to clone, and the servers still were dead. Little reason for anyone to pay for cloning.

My point is: you may be right that thousands of people did not know the service is retiring. But if they did, thousands of them would still not pay for it.
Of the people who today complain they have not been told, only a handful would have actually paid for a clone to a dead server if they knew the service was retiring.

Thousands didn’t know. Thousands would still not care if they did.

2 Likes

It’s only the resent increased interest in Era that made people want their clones back.

4 Likes

Whatever you do. Dont be a sucker and re-level. Try out some other rpgs instead. Forget about both both the gatekeepers and blizzard.

1 Like

Why? The game is fun. At all levels.

3 Likes

Tbh, this really sounds like a bad excuse. You didn’t care for Era when TBC came out. First now, when Era is blooming you find out you played on the wrong horse.

As others already told you, it is too late now. The backup data is gone, and therefore Blizzard have no way of creating a clone of your character as it looked May 2021.

2 Likes

There are tons of better games without terrible customer service and antisocial gatekeepers.

1 Like

And you are still playing WoW because…?

I kinda feel that it is their responsibility to do that though. Not through forums or wowhead, with mail.

1 Like

I quit right away after seeing what became of my charaters.

2 Likes