Massive FPS drop in 8.1

Yeah, uldir was pretty bad fps for me but BoD isn’t any better, opulence kills my fps (down to ~8 in mythic P2) thats with a 1070 :slight_smile:

Thank you for the reports all, these are reports I’d like to investigate further, as your framerate should not drop that low. A few reports did mention “installed all addons from scratch”, please make sure to test this thoroughly without any addons installed. Even if disabled in-game, the addons are still loaded and can cause some odd issues at times. To investigate this throughly, please test with a “clean” World of Warcraft installation. Disable your Addon manager (if you use oen) and clear your UI (addons) completely. Close background applications and see if the same framerate drops happen afterwards.

If that still does not help out, post your System Files so we can have a closer look into this. Please go through the steps listed here, and create both the MSInfo and DxDiag files. Post them on a page like Pastebin.com or share directly with us through OneDrive. Post the links here afterwards as Preformatted text </>, so we can have a look.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

Im having the same issues with FPS drops, specially in raids where when above 20player.
Ill try to make reports tonight and share them in here

First time i see my fps to 1-5 max in raid and i played this game from vanilla, this game cannot be optimized for this expansion? I had to lower my fps to minimum and still have and issue. Is this going to be fixed? And btw i cleared wow and tested without add ons and still have the same issues. And the pc isn’t even old. Do we need a new pc every patch?

I have reinstalled WoW and still getting all the same problems.

ms info - pastebincom/498YUFgj

dxdiag - pastebincom/N9rW2FXZ

Am also having huge FPS drops since 8.1. Can barely get 15-20 FPS is raids now with that often dropping sub 10FPS which is just hell and that is with all addons disabled.

Have tried:

• removing all addons (WTF, Interface, Cache included)
  • repaired WoW
  • Updated GPU Drivers
  • Updated every other driver, from network cards to motherboard
  • Bought more RAM
  • Tried both DX 11 and 12
  • Reducing resolution and increasing it made no difference to FPS which baffled me. Not that i expected much from increasing it, but for sciences sake.
  • Turned off background apps
  • Even read about making a secondary admin account

All the above were steps given in other forum posts here, in the US and on other 3rd party sites. In my research only thign i have noticed is it is mainly if not all nvidia cards that are having troubles, but that another thing too, the GPU.

On task manager my resources are not being stretched. Temps are low, CPU usage on all logic processors is low, GPU is low on normal resolution (it did spike when i doubled the resolution), RAM usage is ~2gb give or take just for WoW. The only anomaly i have noticed is when i am having troubles, only in combat really, my network is spiking all over the place.

Is getting to the point where i am going to have to give up raiding, at least heroic, as i am a liability and unable to perform even if i could tolerate the low low FPS. Raid is easily 75% of my focus so may as well quit at that point.

Is it worth opening another thread now i’ve typed all this out?

Pre 8.1 in raids i was getting ~30-40 FPS and outside i was struggling with screen tearing to the point i was contemplating a faster rate monitor to see the lushness. Now I play on what feels like a flip book and i have changed nothing.

1 Like

Can confirm, same problem for me. The first week everything was fine, no fps drops at all even in the most chaotic fight (in terms of animation on screen). Last week then I started having troubles on the second boss of the new raid, had to quit raiding. The worst thing is that this fps drop happens even into island expedition and in low content raid/dungeons when lots of animations are on screen. Not an HW problem as those drops are happening on both my PCs (with different HW setups).

1 Like

Confirm FPS drops in BOD raid.
Some one on reddit said that it’s due to combat log issue.
There were major FPS improvements after I turned off Advanced Comabt Log.
But still not enough.

Two months later and I give in. Reckon the issue isn’t going to get fixed. Looks like I’m stuck with trash FPS and it’s all my fault. Wew, thanks Activision.

Same problem for me , no any repsonse from blizzard or anything, as soon as ANY combat starts my fps drops to 10-15, litreally unplayable.

Hello again Lonecreek,

I’d still like to look into this for you, but still need the requested information to do so. Please go through the steps I listed previously and provide the requested information if that does not improve things for you.

Have a few seconds to spare? Let me know how I’m doing!

I’ve been through the ticket system with this issue about four times now and handed over my MSinfo and DXdiag each time. Do you want it again? Because as I mentioned in the thread, support told me there was nothing more that could be done.

I have the same issue with 2x Xeon X5660, 48ram, Raid0 ssds and two RX580s, outside of raids I hit over 400fps on low settings and inside I can barely hit 20-30… no addons and it’s a fresh game install.

Edit: Fixed it by updating to latest “Experimental” AMD drivers as well as swapping the card with other I had on hand (e.g HD7770 - my old one) so the driver profile could reset. Anyway, it seems that the issue was on AMD’s end… as always.

FPS now hits 70 again in open world, no longer the 20’s I was getting. Guess that with 8.1.5 coming out you decided to fix this issue that was effecting a decent chunk of the playerbase.

Whaddaya know, it WAS your problem. Only took you months to fix it and months of telling us all the issue is on our end.

1 Like

To be honest I still have the same problem as before. I tried LFR tonight and I was really struggling with FPS. And the same problem still happens in the Vol’jin quest line inside ICC and sometimes in open worlds during WQ.

I have a brand new pc with an i5-8600K and a GTX 1070 and another with an i7-4790 and a GTX 760. Blizzard really wants me out of the raid :frowning:

same here I didnt have a problem with 8.1 but 8.1.5 gets me 100% gpu usage and 4-6 fps I have nvidia gt 650m didnt have an issiue with it till now

1 Like

Same here , high GPU usage for no reason , radom fps drops. Same settings was so smooth last patch . I9 9900K , GTX 770 , DX11

I’ve done some tests and researches.
Before 8.1.5 (or 8.1, because I had a break) I was able to pick Intel integrated card in WoW in game options and that “trick” let me use full power of my nvidia video card. Gpu-Z program showed 100% gpu load and so on. After the patch, I can’t pick Intel integrated card, there are 2x nvidia card and “auto detect”, none of those options are optimal. My nvidia card load is at 50% - 70% and it’s not even rising it’s temperature, like something is throtling computer parameters. I’ve dont everything, been uninstalling drivers, clean install, 10 different setups, and I was able to get my fps back 2 times on clean video driver installation, after exiting game and entering again, problem was back. None of the power usage options change anything. I’m going to install Win10, let’s be honest, even if the problem will be fixed, it will come back in the future. This may be fullscreen problem or something on nvidia mobile cards and windows 7.

I’ve noticed this also, and it’s an 8.1.5 thing because I could change between the two in 8.1. Fortunately for me, at least, my card’s pulling high fps again like it was before. Sorry to hear you’re suffering. Believe me when I say I feel your pain. Hopefully Activision can get on this and start fixing the problems with their game.

I don’t know if this could be useful to solve the problem, but I’ve recently noticed that those random fps drops are temporarly solved by simply reloading the UI. It’s seems that the more I play on one character the more I have those fps reduction after time (even while levelling, so not only in a “crowded” environment like a raid or a dungeon). Reloading UI seems to fix the problem for some time. Does this make sense to you guys?