Massive FPS drops since 9.0.5 - Present in 9.1 as well

Title. Several threads have been made about it. Last one I made was closed with the recommendation that I wait for 9.1 to see if the issue is still present. It still is.

Basically there’s a particle overload for some reason which causes massive FPS drops. Soa FPS 60 -> 30, Bastion same when looking to Conduit streams especially. Even present in spots around Oribos and if you move the camera slightly it jumps back to 60 FPS. Present in the Kyrian PVP arena as well. Edit: Also present in Ardenweald if you upgrade the heart of the forest to max (more particles from the tree).

This issue happens both on low end hardware (no GPU in my case) and on high end (RTX 3080). It’s not an addons issue. Reinstall doesn’t fix it. Changing settings doesn’t fix it (though for some there’s a temporary workaround where they change to another directX while on lowest resolution).

Please do something about this issue, it’s months already since it’s out, Blizzard makes astronomic amounts of money yet can’t afford to put more people to investigate this issue especially since another player made an extremely detailed analysis about this issue and what causes it ? Absolutely ridiculous and extremely disrespectful to all players that pay to play.

23 Likes

The US forums are littered with the same posts, but they’re burying over them rather than responding and some are even being closed without good merit or response (even before the auto-close).

If they can’t address the problem just yet, why don’t they update their customers on the issue instead of keeping us all in the dark. Most people are good listeners and would appreciate an update, even if it’s the news we don’t want to hear that it’s not being fixed just yet but worked on.

EDIT: in the meantime are there actually ANY workaround bandaid fixes for this?

4 Likes

Happy to know internet works and hear complaints that i have myself as well, after patch 9.1 game asked me about a drivers car update so I did, after logging in again 15 fps drop lowering the settings as graphics card optimal set up recommends me, i didnt have any problem before, well yes in Spires of Ascension only, know it seems something is terribly wrong.
They dont even know how to optimize their disneyland pictures game, and right know the only thing I want is a game putting more stress in my graphics card with this chip shortage we have. No way im gonna try buy a new card.
I sarted this expansion with any problems they have manages to twist this around somehow, see if they can sort it out in a life time.

2 Likes

Oh good that i am not the only one with this issue. I’ve started to be a bit paranoid about it, since FPS drops got so severe, specially after 9.1 and mostly when i join epic BG’s (my main recreation in WoW right now), i thought i got some sort malware or something with my hardware. Checked everything possible, disabled addons, changed API and gfx to lower settings - nothing.

Happening to me and my partner as well, but so far we’ve only noticed in in Ardenweald. I’m on a Mac with an external GPU (RX 5700 XT) and she’s on a Windows machine with a dedicated GPU (albeit a mobile GPU). Inside the Heart of the Forest the frame stuttering is unplayable. It slows down our machines enough that there is a delay in UI elements lighting up when moused over (system menus, mission table, action bars), as well as a huge delay when camera angles are changed. The only way to prevent it is to angle the camera directly at the ground. Outside of the Heart if the camera turns anywhere towards the Heart of the Forest the stuttering returns, but if the camera is facing away there is no issue at all.

I have a steady 60 FPS and no issues everywhere else, including in raids with the same graphics settings. It’s worth noting that my actual DPS doesn’t drop very much (down to 50 from 60), but the stuttering persists. We didn’t notice any issues before 9.1. I can eliminate the issue if I lower my resolution (normally 2048 x 1280) to 1280 x 800 but that’s basically SNES graphics at that point. Disabling Particle Density, setting View Distance to 1, disabling SSAO, Compute Effects, and Depth Effects resulted in no change.

3 Likes

Im having the same problem normally im on 120 fps next thing it dropped down to 36 to 49 fps can’t even play it at this point I won’t be coming back im fed up with them

6 Likes

That’s been happening since 9.0.5 for a lot of players, how ever, ironically, 9.1 seems to have exacerbated the FPS problems - and at least a LOT more players are experiencing it now so maybe something will be done.

They tend not to listen if it’s a small part of the playerbase having problems, but with so many now on the forums it’s evident something is very wrong with how this game is working.

2 Likes

Further to my previous post, I have logged into my Kyrian monk for the first time since the patch just now. Same stuttering/FPS problem as in Heart of the Forest. This was NOT happening before the patch. In Elysian Hold I was completely smooth, no FPS issues at all, now I can’t do hardly anything.

I have also now started noticing the issue in Oribos, mostly on the top floor.

I’ve had this problem since 9.05 I believe but it’s more frequent since 9.1. My FPS will constantly drop down to 15 for a few seconds before returning to normal. Very irritating when it happens in combat. Geforce GTX1650 with latest driver. I’ve tried disabling addons, renaming WTF and Interface folders, switching to DirectX 12 and lowering graphics settings but nothing fixes it.

2 Likes

Yep, don’t know if this was already present for me in 9.0 (since I don’t check FPS regularly) … and I didnt notice anything. But since 9.1 stuttering has been very noticeable and my FPS (which usually hovers well above the 60 fps my monitor uses) now is dropinng to 25 fps or lower. Not bad enough that its unplayble, but annoying. Will be raiding next week. Gonna check out what happens then. But seeing how many ppl here have trouble and no reply, it seems the current state of the union is “dire straits”

I’ve always had some form of frameskipping in oribos/orgirmar.Usually worst when there’s more ppl and most likely because they are hub location.

Never had such an fps drop slow down like your tho.

same fore me 10fps .i tryed different drivers. nvdia driver version 457.51. is working fine fore me .

I have the same issue, not really expecting a resolution at this point. If they manage to fix then playing m+ would probably be enough to keep me subbed but it isn’t worth it for me with SoA unplayable.

same issue here ,game runs like random early acess steam game.

is this WHAT WE ARE PAYING FOR?

2 Likes

I did a test run for 9.1.0 and compare it to previous patches. The SoA (and friends) “bug” is still there, while other things seems as they used to be. When you open your map the frametimes start to fluctuate in a weird heart-beat pattern:

https://rk.edu.pl/en/checking-wow-shadowlands-91-peformance-and-problems/

Die Frametimes sind irre, ständig droppt es von ca. 60 FPS auf 56-53, Frametimes schnellen von 17 auf 50 ms hoch.
Und ich habe ‘nur’ einen i9 10850k, eine RTX 3090, 32 GB RAM 3000 mhz. Final Fantasy 14 läuft smoother :smiley:

https://ibb.co/1KpS3yc

well gg :smiley: we all know this is not a client side problem. the drops are crazy pls fix asap

Please fix this ASAP, the drops are so bad. No fix helps. Guess I won’t be raiding tonight!

1 Like

Noticing more frame skipping then usual since 9.1