Min/maxing hunters, two common misconceptions? Optimal gear and pet

First of all, I only got to experience a few months in vanilla “back in the day”, and to put it mildly I wasn’t very good at the game at that time. But over the years, I’ve advanced further and further in the raiding scene, eventually fighting for world top 10 kills on retail so I learned how to do my own research and trying to min/max my character.

So there are a couple of things that I’ve heard from either fellow guild mates, or read online that I wanted to look into myself.

“Tier 1 is better than Tier 2 for hunters, as long as there is an 8/8 Tier 2 hunter in the raid”

Tier1:

• 189 agility
  • 4% crit
  • 3% hit
  • 15% multi-shot and volley damage

Tier2:

• 208 agility
  • 5% crit
  • 2% hit
  • 20% increase to aspect of the hawk (24 more ranged attack power)
  • Chance to expose weakness, increasing ranged attack power by 450 against that target

The most common argument people use in favour of Tier 1 is the 15% increase to multi-shot damage. But when looking at logs from my raids, multi-shot does on average about 82 DPS. Add 15% to that and you get 94 DPS, which seems about right when looking at the logs I have when raiding now with 8/8 Tier 1. That’s a 13 thirteen DPS increase, which is not a lot at all, certainly not enough compared to the 19 extra agility, 1% extra crit, 24 more ranged attack power as well as more uptime on Expose Weakness, because it gets pushed off by other debuffs. Just to make sure, I tried to run this in a simulator as well, and tier 2 comes ahead at 747 DPS vs 716 DPS for tier 1 with an 8/8 tier 2 hunter in the raid, even if it’s 0.4% chance off the hit cap (hit cap being 8.6%). How about tranq shot you ask? Either just equip a piece of +hit gear on that specific boss that requires tranq shot, or simply have a backup hunter ready to tranq in case it misses. Note that the chance of tranq shot missing with 8% hit is 0.4%, or 1 in 250.

“Wolf increases the raid DPS more than a cat, due to furious howl”

This one is a little more complicated, but I will try to break it down.

Furious Howl: Party members within 15 yards receive an extra 45 to 57 damage to their next Physical attack. 10 second cooldown.

On average, that is 51 extra damage to their next attack. Since it is within 15 yards, the hunter will not benefit from this, so I will consider that 5 party members will get buffed by it (because the pet is also a party member). 51 damage * 5 party members = 255 damage. Let’s assume that the warriors and rogues in the group have 35% crit chance which equals 344 damage. Divide by 10 seconds to get dps (because it’s on a 10 second cooldown) and it will yield 34.4 dps. I think this is also quite generous because it won’t get automatically cast every 10 seconds on the point, and 35% crit seems a bit much.

Now, looking at the top logs I wrote down around 20 different cat and wolf pet DPS and got an average of 105 DPS for cats and 66 for wolves. So, that means in this situation a cat does 39 DPS more than a wolf, which is more than the 34.4 raid-wise DPS increase the wolf optimally brings with Furious Howl. Keep in mind a wolf only has Bite for focus dump while cats can use claw which is much better, as well as keeping all melees in the group buffed every time is not very realistic.

Sorry for the long post, but I find this pretty interesting and would love to hear feedback or any arguments as to why you think I’m wrong.

TL;DR:

• 8/8 Tier 2 is better than Tier 1 because of better stats and more uptime on Expose Weakness. 15% increase to multi-shot only amounts to approximately 13 DPS
  • A cat does more damage alone than the wolf brings to the raid with Furious Howl
2 Likes

Well, a wolf does slightly less dps than a cat with its autoattacks (1.0 multiplier vs 1.1 I think).

Good luck with howl buffing 4 melees :slight_smile: . Pets stand to the side of bosses and enemies in general (thats why pets often die to breath and cleave attacks), usually far away from melee camp. I used a wolf for the first 2 or 3 MC ids and it rarely buffed any of the 4 melees in my group. I even made jokes like “Put a mark on my pet so melees can stay near”

Some people argue with wolf being top raid pet because it can buff the hunter at least when its held passive but I would rather have a cat that deals 2k-3k damage until it dies than a wolf buffing howl for a total of 1k damage for hunter’s attacks.

I agree on pet dps.

But on tier set imo its abit more gimicky. Cause im guessing u are running simulations with best in slot dps. Which is not something u might get.
Band of curia in particular is a good ring for us. Tho it will take long before i get it. My guild is kinda sceptical about giving stuff that is not tier set to hunters.
You are saying tho that 8 % hit chance is better than 9 % hit chance as long as u got full tier 2 set? . That is interesting but at same time it will take a while to get full set :stuck_out_tongue: Also the uptime on expose weakness is only decent when you have several hunters with full tier 2 set i assume. As the proc chance is something like 1.5 % percent or so.

Yeah pets die easy on bosses. I wish healers would be better at healing pets. Specially in my guild they never heal pets which annoys me to a degree.
SPecially druids with their lack of raid healing . Would it really be so hard to throw a hot once in a while on the pets? :stuck_out_tongue: It would increase their hps xD since no1 else bothers healing pets.

I should have said that in the simulation I only changed the tier gear. So with tier 2 I still had Onyxia Tooth Pendant, Cloak of the Shrouded mists, Tarnished Elven Ring and Don Julio’s band.
Yes, full tier 2 simulates better than full tier 1 even though it has 8% hit. Naturally it simulates even better if you can reach 9% with Band of Accuria, but it’s the same story for my guild :slight_smile: Which is fair I guess, since it’s a lot better for tanks/melee dps. But as I wrote in the OP, 15% increased damage to multi-shot only amounts to about 13 dps.

OK cool. Its good that we get to wear a new set .

It’s something I’ve debated on …because I’ve out performed 8/8 t1 hunters whilst personally running t2 helm + legs, blue pvp glove + boots (20 agi set bonus, for stats it makes it better than t1 gloves + boots) and rest t1 + trueflgith wrists for the hit cap.

with the pvp gloves you’re still getting 4% on multi, so it is 11% off from full t1 but you net an extra 20 agi

so it comes down to whether the consistent extra crit and AP from the agi (albeit a small’ish amount), out performs that 11% on multi

You outperforming other hunters isn’t nessesary gear wise tho . It can be rotation, pet management and uptime . Skill etc . So it’s hard to say what is better.

Shouldn’t really have a buffslot for wolf pet anyway… it’s banned in my guild for that reason atleast…

yeah i know

and since my last raid I now have access to both options (full t1 or the setup i mentioned)

so i’ll compare logs after a few raids

My thinking is, given how much of our overall damage comes from just autos, the amount of stats needed to not use full t1 (taking in to account 4% multi still on pvp gloves) can’t be that big of a jump

That’s an interesting idea. I tried to run it in the simulator several times, and full tier1 came ahead by less than 2 dps (622 vs 620.5), but I’d love to hear what your logs say once you’ve tested it out! It’s definitely very marginal anyway.

Also a good point, Zakrilege

So far I think full t1 is still very very slightly ahead

plus there might be a miniscule increase in pet up time due to 5 set, but i usually managed ok without it, just requires a bit of pet management / if the pet is catching chain heals or not.

But i think with the pvp combo and 1 more bit of t2, it would pull ahead. However it would have to be a rather specific t2 bit, in order to keep hit cap. Ideally belt or chest.

Also curious on what simulator this is you’re using?

1 Like

I’m using Classicsim :slight_smile:

This topic was automatically closed after 30 days. New replies are no longer allowed.