MMORPG like wow

After being loyal and honest to WOW for 10 years, im looking for a change. Can you guys suggest some MMORPG that are

1. Popular/almost popular as wow
  2. Has a mature/Friendly player base
  3. Has amazing lore and casual-semi hardcore content
  4. Must have graphics either same or better than WOW
  5. Good European Server
  6. Less-almost nil Bugs

I have seen alternatives like Final Fantasy, Guildwars etc… but cant decide… can anyone who tried them all suggest me? I’m getting married this year end and would like to start something fresh by then.

thanks

1 Like

Final Fantasy 14 or Elder Scrolls Online.

If you like the more old-school WoW, only old-school MMORPG’s will suffice. The original WoW developers were inspired by Everquest, and there’s also Dark Age of Camelot. Final Fantasy 14 is probably the most old-school MMORPG that’s currently big.

Guild Wars 2 isn’t really much of an MMORPG, but it is fun if you’re into instanced content.

1 Like

Currently playing FF14 after abandoning it a while ago and honestly I haven’t looked back. 8.2 no longer appeals to me and there’s so much to do in FF I can’t see myself needing another MMO for a long time.

The only downside with FF is that the earlygame is very slow but once you’re past it and everything opens up; it’s so fun :heart:

1 Like

Have you tried just making a new alt on wow? Ive tried all those games and theyre not that much better… ff14 is a solid game but the leveling is among the worst ive ever seen. The engine feels alot less polished than wow’s engine. Youll get hit by stuff you werent even standing in because the telegraphs are delayed. Also they are really snowflakey when it comes to dmg meters. I made a reddit topic just asking how to install act (ff14 dmg meter) and it got downvoted into oblivion.

Eso has really good questing and casual content. But its in my opinion just really boring. The same colors everywhere… the combat is insanely floaty. Doesnt feel good to swing your sword.

Did FF14 give you that amazing feel when you first started playing wow? I dont like to rush early content. So as long as it’s immersive, im gonna give it a try tonight.

Wow was incredible to me from the first moment i played it. With ff14 i had to do my best not to fall asleep.

No you won’t. For the telegraphed attacks then once the telegraph disappears you can move anywhere. If you were in the telegraph when it disappears then you’re going to get hit and it’s your own fault.

It’ll depend on how much you like the story. To me it has a fantastic story but like I say just be prepared to have a fairly basic rotation for the first ~30-40 levels.

Ya, Also did the 2 sides of every story achievement. Not that im quitting WOW. just need some change.

Ff14 maps are also extremely linear lots of invisible walls. Lots of pointless cutscenes.

Pointless cutscenes? Linear zones? Why are you even in this thread if your only purpose is to just spout a load of rubbish?

I guess it’s a good thing people don’t behave like you in FF :thinking: The communities actually another huge positive if we’re listing a few.

1 Like

Had a lot of fun in SWTOR. But I have not played it for at least 3 years…

EDIT (linked to my playtime):

1. The servers had a lot of players
  2. Ok… Mature community… It is there but you need some search
  3. Starwars lore is great (some inconsistencies aside). Even Instances have a one time solo easy mode just to see the lore. No Idea on raids… PvP was dead back then
  4. Not the prettiest game. But not worse then WoW
  5. Good European Server – Check
  6. Less-almost nil Bugs… Well nothing gamebreaking at least

Ive had it so many times. Im trying to jump off a cliff - invisible wall! There are a few dungeons in that game which have an insane amount of cutscenes half of them not even voice acted. So youre basically just watching an npcs mouth move for 15 minutes.

Ah. The maps aren’t like WoW where everything goes; there are a few wall limits.

I believe you’re referring to the MSQ lv50 ones which finish up the base story and can never be skipped for lore reasons and new players. Every dungeon has cutscenes as they’re all linked to a quest of sorts but on subsequent re-runs you can auto-skip them so it’s not much of an issue.

Apart from the couple of unskippable dungeons that’s pretty much it really.

FF14 or ESO.

The Secret World Legends.

Amazing lore; SWTOR, ESO and Secret World Legends. I always found FF’s lore very very very lackluster (and silly). Secret World Legends has awesome lore and a unique setting for an mmorpg.

As for that type of content; I don’t have a clue honestly as it’s not something I look for myself.

Then you’re out of luck. WoW’s stylized look is something special.
Imo both FF14 and ESO have some nice landscapes and such, but totally fail on the character side. Characters and their gear in these games look horrible.
I personally like The Secret World Legends’ graphics, but it’s far from perfect.

Both should be fine.

:man_shrugging:

I’ve tried a lot of mmorpgs, but none of them can keep me interested and entertained like WoW can (even on its bad days).

The closest I’ve come to enjoyment equalling that of WoW is SWTOR, ESO and The Secret world, but ESO just can’t even entertain me past the first month. I’ve tried on numerous occassions and always canceled before my sub time was even up.

I’ve liked Star Wars The Old Republic in the past, but haven’t played that in years now (when they steered the story to be about some NPCs instead of the character as it had been up till then was when I lost interest - Also; I really didn’t have any interest to ‘be the emperor of the galaxy’, that’s not why I played star wars - Oh sorry, spoilers!).

Another mmorpg I’ve played for a long time was The Secret World (now called Secret World Legends). If you’ve never played it, I think it’s worth a look, but don’t expect much for endgame tbh. That game is all about the atmosphere and story imo.

As for FF14; I hated it. Horrible game imo and I truly don’t see what people like about it.

1 Like

The people that like FF14, like weeb stuff. There is nothing more to it than that.

2 Likes

Yeah, but ill be honest the game isnt bad per se. I just feel it has many annoying little things that accumulated for me over a certain period of time. The atmosphere and music in the game is awesome. The dungeons and raids arent bad. But overall i dislike the small things in ff14 so much that i wish i was just playing wow.

Here is a not quite serious suggestion:

If you like playing Auction House in WoW, join EVE… Delivering into 0 sec was fun and really thrilling action. Just prepare to sacrifice your life to this game if you want achieve something…

PS.: It has the best community of all online games I ever played.

The invisible walls in FF14 out in the world are mostly restricted to the 1-50 ARR zones, that restrict you from swimming or jumping to your death in certain places. Can be annoying if not used to it, but it’s a choice they made. Once you get into HW content, the number of these invisible walls is vastly reduced.

The story/lore of FF14 is actually very good… if you take your time to actually engage with it, instead of clicking through it all. Voice acted scenes don’t really kick in till HW content and even then, far from everything is voice acted.

Only content you can’t skip the cutscenes in are the 3 level 50 story raids, as they are there to wrap up the original story. It’s somewhat annoying, but you do get rewarded very nicely for running them, even if you’re level 70, this to encourage players to help people levelling clear them.

Graphically, I’d rate FF14 above WOW, with some truly stunning zones, but the art style is completely different. Not everybody appreciates the more Asian style and don’t go expecting armour with godly over-the-top glow effects etc. They’ve gone for a more humble/realistic approach in that department.

Levelling is slow and spells/abilities stay pretty basic till level 50, but this does give a very solid linear learning experience for a class as you level, akin to Vanilla WOW. Don’t expect to hit level 70 within a week and don’t bother with a level skip. I purchased one for a second job after getting to level 70 on my first job and highly regretted it. After you level your first job, you get a huge XP boost if you decide to level other jobs, so far better to go through the full learning process.

I found the world is actually a threat when levelling, there are times when you need to decide if you will stand and fight, or leg it, if you manage to pull extra mobs, etc.

Traditional raiding at endgame is less fleshed out than WOW, but is sufficiently present. There are plenty of other things outside of raiding to keep you busy though and content is added on a 3-monthly cycle (with every other cycle being endgame/raid oriented).

Also tried ESO, not my thing and I’d say FF14 is more loyal to the traditional MMORPG of the 2.

Won’t find one lol

Well, Final fantasy, The Elder scrolls online and Guild wars 2 are quite decent.
And if you want to do some solo rpg stuff Star wars the old republic is great, bad at being an MMO though.
Then there is Lord of the rings online, which is great fun from a lore perspective, although I find the combat system and gameplay terrible, feels hard to control compared to WoW.
Also a shoutout to rift, but I don’t know that much about it.
Finally, there is Neverwinter. If you like to play instanced and with friends. You can even create your own quests if you like that kind of thing.

It has gotten quite diverse. With structured pvp, open world pve bosses and achievement grind, raids, fractals (sort of dungeon like), server vs server pvp.