Morogrim "The Crushinator" Tidewalker bug?

Had a few tries on Morogrim Tidewalker with my Feral Tanking Druid yesterday, and we ran into some difficulties that seemed quite unreasonable.

(Info for the tries are at Warcraft Logs, but can’t post links in posts - Char name: Heresiarch. Guild: Norsemen. Server: Stonespine)

Our First try he had a whooping 40,32% of all landed hits as Crushing. (25/62 hits)

Second try he had 37,14% of all landed hits as Crushing. (13/35 hits)

Third try he had 28,74% of all landed hits as Crushing. (25/87 hits)

This in combination with Tidal Wave and Earthquakes made the damage taken way too spiky. As you can see on the wipes they were all connected to getting several crushing blows landed in a consecutive order.

I understand that some RNG is involved when it comes to spikes, but an average of 35,4% of all hits on these attempts were Crushing Blows. This is a number that is higher than the average chance for Crushing blows against a target with only 350 defense and no avoidance.

I have experienced some bad luck with Crushing rolls earlier, but not to this extent.

If you are a Feral druid and have any experience tanking this boss, please feel free to comment your experience. I am quite baffled by the chains of Crushing hits this boss outputs with his trashing ability, and with the chance of an overlapping Tidal Wave and a Earthquake this seems rather risky. I’ve heard of warriors getting punted due too their shield block only takes two hits, and this boss is trashing, but for us it seemed like the only way to reduce our RNG at the encounter.

Any information regarding this “Crushinator” boss would be greatly appreciated.

(PS: For those checking Warcraft Logs, yes, this is quite the offensive gearset, but our dps do not know how to stop pushing buttons from the get-go. And the extra agility should in theory reduce the chance of getting crushed.)

You have misunderstood how crushes work, so I’ll try to clarify:

Crushes are always the last type of outcome that gets pushed off the attack table when the target hits you.
The standard value for this is 15% of the attacks that a boss makes.
For a target with 0% avoidance (including 0% miss chance for the boss), you would see about 85% of hits received being regular hits, with the approximate remainder being 15% crushes.
However, since this roll for a crushing blow is made on your total table chance to be hit (where crushes are the last to be pushed off that table) it means that you will see more and more crushes among those hits that still connect.
Say you have a simple 50% dodge chance (reasonable number in T5).
You now have roughly a 50% remaining chance to be hit (excluding miss chance and the true uncrush cap that is actuallly slightly higher than 100%, just for simplicity).
Since the crushes get pushed off the table last, it means that you will see 50% dodges, 35% regular hits and 15% crushes.
Now if you do percentage math on the received hits only (not dodges), you will see that you now actually take 30% crushes of those that did connect.

The only way to reduce the crush chance further would be to get above 85% dodge chance, as that will begin pushing crushes off the hit table.
At 90% dodge for instance, you will dodge 90% of the time, and be crushed the remaining 10%.
This will however also register as you taking 100% crushes on the few hits that do connect, as regular hits have been pushed off the table and only crushes remain (as they are the last to get pushed off)
This will last until you are truly crush immune (around 101,6% dodge or so iirc), where you will only dodge or miss and never have a hit or crush go through again.

Hope this helps!

1 Like

Have you tried attaching a shield to your furry behind to get crushed less?

1 Like

Thanks for the reply Entarion :slight_smile:

Your math seems quite near what i calculated myself. (Think i ended up around 102,6% or 103% avoidance to push the curshing of the attack table) , but it will even out in the same problem. If i have a dodge streak, before a Tidal Wave or an Earthquake i am almost certain to get Crushed at the point where these attacks hits me, and i will end up spiking a lot.

I did not know that that the crushing hits would accumulate in that way due too my high dodge. And it seems rather weird, as in theory additional avoidance would make me take more spike damage (but less overall damage) all the way until i hit 86% avoidance, which in turn will make the “RNG-Streaks” where i do not dodge 4-5 attacks in a row a lot more dangerous both for me and the raid as a whole.

As Morogrim for an example, who got a trashing ability and two other abilities that might overlap from time to time. When i look at the difference on logs from our warrior tanks and druid tanks, the spikes are really clear. On average my damage taken per second is way lower than the warriors, but this does not mean anything when i get bursted for 30k over the duration of 5 seconds at some points due too big dodge streaks followed by taking 5 crushing hits and a magical spell to the face.

I thought (and hoped) that of the 15% crushing chance the boss would have, these could be mitigated in the exact opposite way as us players (as a player misses, that miss could effectively been a critical strike). But if this is just an accumulating act of whatever hits me, i will only spike more on bad RNG rolls.

Guess I’ll just have to drop my avoidance and threat and return to a “Soaking” play style which makes me take more overall dmg, but will be easier to heal due to less Crushing spikes.

Thanks again for clearing up the attack table rules, but I’m still in a heap of trouble, as the only reasonable way around this seems too take more hits and have the healers do more overall work.

You are correct that this will cause spikier damage the more avoidance you get (dodge and misses) since crushes will be more common on the remaining hits. For Morogrim you therefore should gear exclusively for effective hit points (EHP), which is the combination of armour and total health. Pieces like earthwarden, stamina trinkets/badge (armour trinket), and armour/stam pieces like rings and cloak are therefore great to raise that EHP.

Crushes are not the end of the world though. Fortunately we have that high armour to soak crushes for us, as opposed to warriors. In fact, warriors can often be more risky because while they are unlikely to get crushed on any random single hit, the fact that Morogrim can triple hit in 3 secs leaves a chance that the warrior has two of his shield block charges eaten up, while the third crushes him. A druid can survive that scenario, but a warrior (when it happens) will most likely die from it.

1 Like

Thanks again Entarion! :smiley:

This was really helpful! I got a few gear sets to revise ^^

Appreciate it a lot! <3

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 60 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.