My experience with migrating from popular megaserver to "dead" server and why you should (maybe) do the same

Depends on what you want from a game, migrating from an unbalanced server with queue could be the best thing you do for your gaming experience…

I’ll give you MY example and why it worked out FOR ME.

When Classic launched I rolled on Gehennas because this was supposedly gonna be the best server with all the private server crew and it’s gonna be alive “forever”. This is the server you wanna be on , lets go!

Well, not really. Depends.

So you get 1-3 hour queues, 70:30 Horde Alliance ratio, countless number of people in every single part of the zone, rushing and competing for quest mobs, world quest items, mining nodes and herbs.

You also get general chat, world chat and LFG chat rolling like slot machine, being very hard to read anything.
Groups for dungeons are easy to get (due to enormous amount of people on the server), although good amount of them are rollin only spellcleave setups and doing “metagame” runs.

Most people rushing and “nolifing” it.

You also feel like a total anonymous and just a random number in an endless see of random numbers.

It doesn’t feel rewarding at all and everyone seems very replaceable, random and disconnected.

A lot of the players are min-maxers and very good and experienced, so if you’re a casual and playing WoW represents only a minor part of your life, you will very easily fall behind (if that bothers you).

There is also this tedious aspect of logistics with signing on your computer via remote desktop app and queuing for a damn game (calculating when to que, failing sometimes then waiting again, then saying fck it) which I found extremely irritating and unnecessary for my lifestyle.

If I was a teen or unemployed, I would probably liked that server and it would perfectly suit my lifestyle (although I would still hate the unbalanced A:H ratio).

However having a job, wife, kid and 2 hobbies besides WoW, this server wasn’t working out FOR ME at all.

Transferred to Judgement.

What I got works out FOR ME:

1. Most important thing : NO QUEUS - no planning when to que or when to play - if I have 45 minutes of free time RIGHT NOW, I can just log on the game and do some stuff, even if it’s only checking my bank alt and playing the AH, or doing only 1 quest on my main. This was most important for me - if I pay the game, I want to play the game whenever i want.

2. More, quiet and cozy vanilla like feel to zones and world chats. No spamming of the chat, a lot of mining nodes available…

3. Less players on the server means you remember more names (ally or horde) and they remember you. More meaningful interactions.

4. Less anonymity means less incentive to act like a jerk and get away with it.

5. Less pvp gods (or “tryhards” as some of you call them) overall means pvp is easier and there is more difference between great and mediocre pvp players.
    As I’m not playing 8 hours a day, my gear or skill will never be the same as it was when I was a teenager, so I prefer to encounter more bad and mediocre players in pvp.

6. Good Alliance : Horde ratio -leading to healthy competition server in the long run.

So if you are in a similar situation as me and still not sure if you wanna transfer because “omg dead serverzzz” , it’s not that bad as some want you to think.

Cheers

12 Likes

its good to remember that the most dead server currently in wow classic has more people on it than the biggest full server did in actual vanilla.

11 Likes

Nice, i’m still on gehennas and had doubts of migrating. But it seems much better and still improving queue wise.

I am curious what both servers will look like in a few months from now.

I did the double.

Re-rolled Horde on Zandalar Tribe a month or so ago due to queues, then moved my original alliance characters from Mograine to Bloodfang Last night.

ZT is not an option for Migration, but is a great server.

Bloodfang also seems like a really good server with what seemed to be a good PvP balance too.

Mograine Queue drops by one permanently.

Everybody wins.

Yeah , I wanted to roll on ZT initially (couse it’s RPVP) , but my friend, being a private server community fan, pushed for Gehennas , so I followed him there.

That’s not true. Consensus is showing some servers with under 1k players. Classic servers had what 4k or 6k players?

Where is this data coming from cos the census data is nonsense now. And by classic servers do you mean vanilla?

are you trolling or just a bit special?

I’m a troll and I’m special. Your statement is still garbage though.

That doesn’t make if false tho, blizz them selves said that even the smallest of servers now is bigger then the largest of servers in actual vailla… This has been mentioned in several blue posts…

2 Likes

Around 3k in Vanilla, although it could vary from Realm to Realm and also changed over time. Max supported by hardware was 3.5k-4k. The caps were lower early on in Vanilla than later for gameplay reasons.

Thats what Blizzard said so yeh.

Sure, some servers have 1k players at 4-7AM, but on prime-time they are waaaaaay bigger than the old vanilla servers.

If you feel like you need to play on a megaserver because “thats where it happens”, its not actually where it happens.
Its just where APES are, and you will probably never be allowed to join them anyhow.
Smaller servers are much more mature and relaxed, and people are probably more dedicated anyhow.
So saying that those megaservers would be the last to die is false.

ironforge.pro/servers/

This only takes info from people who have posted their logs on warcraftlogs. Not quite fully accurate as not everyone is raiding

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.