My fellow Wow veterans

My dear Wow veterans (30+ Age onwards), how are you doing IRL? How are you coping and how is your mental health? we started playing wow during our prime time and now we are at a stage where family, responsilbties, and IRL stuff has hit us.

I wanted to understand how are you dealing with the rapid changes in the game? My reflexes are not like they used to be and before I could sit and play for 12 hours straight. But I need to take a break every 2 hours session. I have been dealing with stress lately, bad marriage (Going through a divorce) and IRL stuff of job pressure etc. However Wow has been my comfort zone and will always be. This is one game that I come back to relieve my stress and I can escape into a world where I can be free.

However I have restricted my self severely. I only do +13 keys as anything higher I cannot do a mind to hand coordination and do not want to risk the game enjoyment for my fellow players. and coming to raids I do normal raids only now. I used to clear HC raids during legion content almost twice every week.

I had an amazing time back then, felt I had more power but now I need to be content with what Iā€™m doing in game. At times I feel sad that Iā€™m unable to be what I was before, but thatā€™s lifeā€¦ and I accepted it. I find joy in clearing casual content and some challenging stuff once in a whileā€¦

how are you coping up ? are there any others who feel like I do? What makes you happy now! where ever you are and whatever you do! i wish you have an amazing time and love what you do!

P.S. This post is intended for people like me, not the young ones, I am not complaining anything about the gameā€¦ its just a nostalgic feeling of how we were in the past and how we are now. Anyone who do not relate to it, I suggest its not to complain or hurt anyoneā€™s feelings. Have a nice day!

11 Likes

Hello there good sir. 36 y/o Wow veteran here. It is going good. Still doing awesome. My back isnt what it used to be but my hand and head still hold their share. Still doing mythic raiding,20+ keys only thing i lost in those years is will to pvp. Like at all. I just dispite it now and would like for it to be removed because how much toxicity it brings. I do need to take breaks as well. Thats why in raids we have 10m break every hour. But beside that everything is good.
Hope you have a nice day

2 Likes

33 y/o here. Doing mythic raiding and 20+ keys. Never felt that confident in WoW in my life. Iā€™m not so hot tempered as before, so I donā€™t care much about 20 wipes on Sarkareth in a row. In the same time mind skills are at the top level, so itā€™s easy to analyze several guides and synthesize the perfect solution to the problem of group. Basically youā€™ve seen it all and you know it all.

1 Like

33 years here.

Iā€™m doing fine, thanks for asking. :slight_smile:

But WoW is changing in ways that make it very difficult to play for me and, I would guess, many others.

The game has become wildly, wildly faster than it used to be. This is measurable and categorically true. You can see it when comparing to Classic.

Not only can I play vanilla for as long as I used to (provided I have a free period), but I also feel no pain in doing so.

Dragonflight, by contrast, requires massively wonky keybinds and very fast reactions to even be playable at all lest you get RSI or just plain stress. Itā€™s VERY difficult to how it used to be.

PvP I find to be a lot less straining than PvE, but both are measurably faster.

We have more resources, more spells, tighter rotations, more stuff off the GCD, and and more cooldowns - and all of this adds up to you pressing more buttons.

With the lack of drinking we also lost our natural breaks, which means levelling feels a lot more stressful, which in turn makes it feel longer even though itā€™s shorter. Again, we can measure this. It is categorically and unequivocally true.

I think a lot of people are saying ā€œoh you just got oldā€ but 30 is a humanā€™s prime, not 15 or 20. This game has just gone crazy.

8 Likes

Iā€™m another generation up, being a grandparent ā€¦ but

Iā€™m not sure I am. I swear things are happening more quickly in DF and possibly they were to a lesser extent in SL.
The patches are coming when Iā€™m only halfway through the available content so I feel Iā€™m spending the whole time trying to catch up.
Iā€™m also finding what to do and where to go harder. I donā€™t know if itā€™s age or loss of memory (due to medical stuff) but I feel things arenā€™t being explained quite as much as they were before. I now have Wowhead permanently open in the background when Iā€™m playing.

And this too. Itā€™s also the place I can play with a very good friend in another country a couple of times a week. This makes me happy as do things like an unexpected mount drop, a sad bit of story/NPC interaction, finding hidden things and looking at the wonderful scenery.
Also a sense of achievement such as killing a rare that I really shouldnā€™t have been able to kill or going through a long and difficult quest chain but succeeding in finishing it or winning a battle ground through teamwork (despite being alliance) :wink:
Finally my joy at being sent back to my WoW happy place (Pandaria) in DF. It made me so happy to be back and I was smiling the whole way through the quests there.

The downside? Hand cramp I guess (Iā€™m on my PC most of the time for work all day); bit of back-ache but, again, Iā€™ve been sitting at my PC all day. And the memory thing but thatā€™s a side-effect of illness rather than age.

Hope IRL stuff will get better for you ā€¦ it usually does in the end though not nice at the time.

6 Likes

This is all true. Itā€™s not because youā€™re old, itā€™s just true. Play Classic Era and check how it feels even now. Itā€™s right there. :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

Everyone under 40 is a child.

I donā€™t feel any different at 47 than I did at 28 when it launched

2 Likes

Get a good mouse with at least 12 side buttons.
Keybind them properly.

My right thumb does the majority of the work. I never have to move my left hand from the WASD keys.

The game is in general faster paced now.
Also if you canā€™t be bothered to learn your rotation down to a T for whatever reason, IRL stuff is afterall much more important to dedicate memory to than a rotation in WoW

Then get a rotation helper addon and place it in a visible spot so you can always see it, without having to move your eyes away from combat.

It sounds like you want to push higher than just +13 keys, but just donā€™t have the time to learn it.

Use all the help you can get, and the game will almost play itself.

2 Likes

Iā€™m 30 exactly, doing fine!

I donā€™t feel old at all, I am as Iā€™ve always been physically and mentally speaking, though Iā€™ve got fed up of getting stressed playing difficult games on my free time, so I could say IRL stuff has hit me in that way. My job is stressful enough and I really donā€™t want to add more on top of it, but aside for that, everythingā€™s fine!

1 Like

This will become a problem, too. Mark my words.

2 Likes

Been kind of garbage at the game since I started playing it in vanilla. However I do feel like that either Iā€™m deteriorating or the game is getting considerably more difficulty as of late. And as of such Iā€™m ever searching for the easiest classes and specs that I can play.

4 Likes

Heya! 31 y/o here, I started playing this game when I was 15 in 2007.

To be quite honest, while it is true that this game requires a lot more focus and coordination than it used to, I feel like I am managing. I have a good group of mixed local and non-local friends I play with these days.

I play on US now though (Syranox on Moon Guard US, as Preservation Evoker primarily), because I moved to the US in 2015 for study and remained there since. I briefly took a break from WoW to focus on my studies, and once I graduated during the BFA era, I picked it up again.

My life is far better now than it has ever been. I live in Denver, Colorado, I spend a lot of time hiking in summer and snowboarding in winter, have a good group of friends both IRL and in-game, and I still manage to squeeze time in to play WoW and get loot :smiley:

Something I seriously appreciate about WoW these days is you do not need to put in tremendous amounts of time to get the gear you need. It still rewards you adequately for your skill level. I need not play this game 12 hours a day in order to do Mythic 20s. I just need to be reasonably competent at my role, and I can work my way up there within two months after a tier releases.

So yeah, all in all, I am doing well :slight_smile: A combination of all this has been good for mental health!

5 Likes

It is working perfectly for me sometimes i have a 6 hour gaming session and no pain at all.

I donā€™t sit in front of my PC all day, my work isnā€™t office neither so itā€™s no problem. My hands see plenty of varied activity and use every day.

However if you do sit in an office and type on a keyboard all day, then go home and play video games. Then yes, i can see it has some long term effects.

1 Like

This is true. You can manage. But you need quite a bit of experience to figure out how to manage.

Imagine starting out new and your keybinds are 1234567890-= and you have to play a M+ 15.

Good luck xā€™D

1 Like

Oh for sure. One of my friends, bless his heart, has finally caved in and started learning to use keybinds and its definitely a learning curve. I donā€™t think I even started actually setting up keybinds until middle of MoP if I am honest!

My best advice to anyone learning keybinds is to start small. Start binding your shift-number keys, build that muscle memory, then bind your alt keys. Eventually all your buttons will have keybinds and the game becomes far easier :slight_smile:

2 Likes

The fact that we both know everybody is going to need that kind of external help like this is part of WoWā€™s many, many problems for new players.

I think they ought to make the default keybinds available something like 1234qertfg<zxcvb and then players can figure out whatever else they need. Character should be renamed Hero (h), bags on i for Inventory, and things like that. Without something similar to this the game is just plain unplayable.

2 Likes

My life is much eaiser now than it was back when I started WoW at 17. I just looked at all the things people older than me complained about and didnā€™t do those things.

I play with an MMO mouse and until (I think) Legion I was a clicker, so even using abilites is easier than back in the day.

1 Like

Thank you for asking. I have bee struggling trying to cope up but yes I find happiness playing the game. I completely stopped doing PVP and it feels kind a sad but its ok. I watch players stream and sometimes I log in to watch my friends staying offline since 4 years. I do casual content for the story and when its time to raid I just go to sleep early.

yeah, lifeā€™s been hard but yes thank you for looking out for your fellow veteran

Cue* Past lives song

2 Likes

Iā€™m 25 only.

Happily married, and in a stress-free job where I perform well while being on my phone all the time doing unproductive stuff. Like right now.

Itā€™s 9-6 though so I have limited time for the actual game.
I play maybe 3 or 4 hours per week.
Itā€™s usually enough for me to reach my Duelist goal every season.

But thatā€™s fine. Playing the game is nice, but mildly annoying people on the forums while at work is definitely okay too.

Arenā€™t you the guy running around saying how difficult PvP is all the time?