[N-RP] Tales of Azeroth (and beyond)

Hello there! I got inspired by Evermore entries and decided it could be fun to make something like it. I present you Tales of Azeroth (and beyond), where you can let us tell a story about you during the many adventures you had!

I wanted to write the first one, but my ideas are dried out, so I count on someone to start… I just want to share an idea… I thought it would be nice to write it from the point of view of your character, or easier to write it in third person, actually describing it as a narrator? I promise I’ll create something soon!

5 Likes

This seems like a cool idea. More interaction could strengthen RP on the server in general. I can share something here which originated in the actual role playing forum, with a few adjustments for the theme here. 1 2 3 go
———
Rush grins wide, immediately appearing amused by the question. “A story, huh? There be a lot, but I can share one with you.” He shifts in his seat and sits up a little straighter than usual.

“Right after the Horde welcomed in the Send-a-Rays, or belves as some people call them, I was at this base in Zangarmarsh that had a detachment of belf swordsmen to help us clear out the Darkcrest naga. There was this one Send-a-Ray from this town called Train-Killin back on Azeroth. He was the first person to teach me how to use two-handed swords, real gentleman of a guy. Things were always kind of weird around the base though, kind of like when the Forsaken joined. The Send-a-Rays had a different culture from most of us; most of them were like a hundred years old, so they were more conservative. Most of them wouldn’t laugh at fart jokes or use bad words, and they didn’t open up about personal topics as easily.”

Squeezing a lemon out into his cup, Rush stirs the imported Thalassian tea and then eats the remainder of the lemon, skin and all. He doesn’t even wince or react to the bitter citrus acid.

“But that one guy, what’s-his-name, he was cool. When he was training me in two handers, I mentioned how much I hate the Amani tribe, and he was real chummy and less formal after that. One night, things were quite in the camp; the belves were eatin dinner in their own tent, and everybody else was in the great hall. Then this guy, he tells me he has an idea and leads me to the pig sty. We let one of the pigs out and then he gets this canister of petroleum jelly, and I was all like ‘whoa dude, I not be into that,’ but then he greases the pig and slaps it so it runs into the middle of camp. Everybody comes out of their places to see what all the noise be about, and they see me and this Send-a-Ray with this greased pig screaming bloody murder. And then, I swear if I be lyin then I be dyin, the swordsman - this bajillion year old elf who acted all stuffy and never smiled or anything - takes his boots off and starts chasin the pig through the mud.

“Every other Send-a-Ray in the place stood slack jawed. Even the orcs all gasped, watchin this dude old enough to remember Azeroth’s last ice age, this belf who drank soup with spoons and stuff, barefoot and chasin a greased pig. So I took my greaves off and started chasin the pig too cause I didn’t want him to be singled out as weird by himself. As soon as I join in, a few of the orcs start chasin the pig too, and then a few of my people. And - again, I swear - this little blood mage with a neck thinner than my ankle takes her shoes off and starts chasin the pig too. By the end of the night, everybody except the ranked officers was covered in mud tryin to catch this cryin pig. There was no yellow or blue or green - we were just Horde at that moment.

“That swordsman died when we invaded the Black Temple, by the way. We roasted the same pig in his honor. Sad to lose him, but he taught me a lot, about fightin and even havin fun.”

5 Likes

OOC: This is a fantastic idea, Raylen! Truth be told, I was thinking about creating a thread like this for the upcoming series of my own short drabbes focused on… A Certain RP I Might Or Might Not Be Involved In. :male_detective:
Either way, here’s the first entry. What is it about? Who knows!

Somewhere in Orgrimmar…

A muscular troll looms over the bar counter. He smells like sand, sweat and salt. A filthy bandanna wrapped around his head keeps vibrant orange hair out of his eyes as he tiredly scans the row of bottles Gravy has on display.

In the end he chooses cheap orcish grog. A vile beverage, but cheap enough for a dockworker to afford.

The troll shoves his calloused hand into his pocket to fish out some coppers, but finds nothing. He frowns and stretches out his fingers—maybe his coins are hiding somewhere in the creases of the fabric?

The bartender blankly watches his would-be customer rummage through empty pockets. He puts the bottle of grog back on the shelf.

2 Likes

[OOC: this is from an older thread in the RP forums as well. I figure this would be a good place to leave it; perhaps others on the server would like to add similar testimonies. My goal was to add a more earthy, realistic turn on the day-to-day lives of the penitent and the survivors.]

———

Rush leans his elbows on the table, folding his arms in front of himself. His usual chatty nature is markedly subdued when the topic is brought up.

“Yeah, I was there…I had a front row seat to that atrocity. About as close as you could get…right there on the beach. I was even closer than the poor sods operating the catapults were.”

The jungle troll shifts in his chair uncomfortably, peering through his peripheral vision at the people walking by. There are enough people passing, switching chairs, or looking for an empty chair that nobody is listening, but the otherwise stable warrior actually starts to fidget nervously.

“I guess the catapult jerks didn’t have it so bad. Not like the people up in that tree did. That thing was far out into the ocean, too far to see detail, but I could see the lights. My girlfriend and I were in the same unit at that time, and we were counting the lights. Each one was a…a treehouse, or a hamlet or something, where people lived. Most of them went out during the battle. I heard people were evacuated in portals or something. Still…it wasn’t enough. Not nearly.”

In a sharp, violent movement, Rush swings his elbow back to reach into his belt pouch and pulls out crushed peacebloom in rolling papers. Without even checking the rules of the establishment, he lights it with a match and puffs on the herbal cigarette.

“I don’t smoke, okay? Don’t judge me by this. I found it earlier, and this topic calls for it. I don’t plan on smoking again…anyway, where was I? Well, the War of the Thorns basically ended; my girlfriend and I secured the flight point at Lord Anelle or whatever that town was called. We were securing prisoners of war, following protocol and all that, when my lady noticed the catapults being wheeled up to the ocean. The positioning didn’t make sense. I thought nothing of it cause, you know, whatever. They told us that we were there to colonize the tree and stop Alliance shipments of Azerite…I knew what colonization meant. A few civilians would die, maybe a few dozen, but eventually they’d be accepting it. The strategy was so sound. I never thought…”

Rush pauses when another patron walks by and asks him to stop smoking indoors.

I don’t smoke!” he snaps while smoking, clearly overreacting, scaring the complainer away, and making the people at the next few tables uncomfortable. You have to hold your hand up to caution him; he’s visibly distressed by the topic and not acting like himself. “I’ll put my cigarette out on the skin of the next mofo who interrupts me…” You calm him down enough to get him to put the cigarette out early and return to the topic.

“Right. I couldn’t believe it, not at the time. The catapults only got an effective range of five-hundred meters - I learned that from the munitions experts. The world tree be further than that into the ocean, which means the catapults Sylvanas used were…I dunno, enchanted or something. Think about that: she had catapults altered just to bombard a place full of civilians. We couldn’t hear the screams from that far, but we could see…we could see things falling out of the branches, in addition to branches falling. Bodies, entire houses, people who weren’t a part of the fighting. People who were supposed to get on with life under Horde occupation. Families, a lotta them with kids, I imagine. I can’t stop imagining it. The war captives on the beach stopped fighting back because they were screaming. I’ve killed my share of tree elves in battle, and they don’t scream or beg; seeing the prisoners on the beach like that, it didn’t feel right. I can kill someone in uniform no problem, unless they wave the white flag. So what about killing people who weren’t part of the fight? That not be what I signed up for.”

Grabbing the pitcher of ale from the table, Rush drinks directly from it without a cup despite having claimed not to drink.

“I got demoted twice, by the way. Not for letting some of the prisoners go - yeah, I said it, I don’t give a damn anymore - cause me and my lady never got caught for that. I can’t really keep my mouth shut, though, and I spoke against what happened from the beginning. Got demoted twice, whipped once, reprimanded a bunch of times…for what? Sylvanas never believed in the Horde, or the Forsaken, and here I am wearing nothing but a scout’s tabard for saying what everybody agrees on now: burning down a tree with so many civvies in it was a crime against mortality.”

Rush puts the pitcher back, not realizing that you probably don’t want any ale after he drank straight out of it. Eyes downcast, he taps his fingernail on the table a few times while searching for the right words.

“That’s where I was: the closest person to it who didn’t die. And I couldn’t do anything about it except talk and get myself in trouble.”

2 Likes

Digging my memory for inspiration (bumb).

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.