New buff for Prot Warrior

WOWhead have suggested that there may be a new aura to Prot warriors along with a buff to Thunderclap. This is welcoming, I have recently changed spec to Prot for the benefit of my guild and I am personally enjoying playing Prot. However I do have the luxury to play with guildies on M+ and HC Raid, so I never have the need to LFG and constantly expect refusals.

Can’t make much of the aura yet if its true, but what you think?

Patch 9.0.5 PTR Class Hotfixes for March 3rd - Protection Warrior Aura Buff - Wowhead News

It is a very strong buff actually.

Is this decided? Personally i would welcome a buff to defences, like cheaper ip and/or sb / self heal. Its welcoming IMO they fokuset on the wrong area.

They already made the Reprisal lego give 20 rage, Shield Block and Revenge (yes, all 3 effects) when using Charge and Intervene. It’s probably going to be the to-go lego for M+ at this rate. The 10% aura damage and increased Thunderclap AP scaling could very well make Prot one of the highest damage tanks.

Then again, Blood gets borderline permanent Dancing Rune Weapon, so who knows what’s going to happen in 9.0.5 with tanking lol

Still not enough to rival other tank specs in damage though.

it is one of the largest buffs ever recorded in WoW’s history. The 10% Aurabuff (20% for thunderclap) along with the reprisal legendary changes (shieldblock uptime from less than 50% to pretty much 99%) will make prot war what it is supposed to be, one of the best tanks. “Raijin” guy has no clue what he’s talking about saying its not enough to rival other tank specs

So warrior tank can’t do 3k dps overall? I just saw Andybrew and Femdh time a +24 Spires easily and Fem did only 3.1k dps overall as vengeance dh. Tank damage is pretty meaningless actually. And with this buff prot warr will easily outdps guardians and blood dk’s.

From my xp, I am 208ilvl currently (started playing later), usually end with 2.5-2.7k where PUG DPS are around 3-4.5k max. Yesterday at Plage12 (good run) I had 3.1k.
I am thinking to switch demo shout legendary to the one which makes Revange hit one more time for 70% -> this + 10% buff should give constant 3k DPS at least.

Also my paladin healer used to say it’s easier to heal good warrior than random pally, monk or DH (I don’t even tell about DK) because our mitigation makes dmg very smooth, we can kite quite well - what we only missed so far was that DMG vs other tanks. Not sure if 10% is sufficient, but sounds promissing.

1 Like

They nerfed that leggo already, from 6s to 4s.

What good is increased damage when the spec is still made of wet paper?

I mean, the increased damage is nice, and it does nothing to make Ignore Pain cheaper or more effective, etc.

Think warr is pretty tanky with SB up. Problem is, it’s uptime is pitiful in SL. Wish they’d rather lower the CD of SB or bring back that +1 charge lego, whatever helps. W/o SB up warr is like paper idd. Still prefer Ppaladin no mater what - interrupts, selfheals, cleanse, freedom, LoH, bubbletaunt… Best PUG kit ever. Being smooth and all is nice, but you still die w/o healers babysitiing you all the time. Guess just ties you to that healer buddy forever lol

2 Likes

Well I don’t find prot squishy at all, imho only dmg is not there. I also like old school, and fact that you truly need a healer. Imho state of tanks where healer is just like a cherry on the cake is broken…

I said in damage. Which is true because we were/are more than 10% behind DH and Pally. As for the other specs we will be competitive now if we have the rage to spend on revenge.

I wish we had the Legion rage model back tbh. Not getting more rage from taking more damage just makes no sense to me.

Critter hits you for 1, gain 2 rage. Denathrius hits you for 50k, gain 2 rage. Cool.

2 Likes

Erm yes prot is squishy…

Legion was the best prot ever was. Basically immortal with the ig lego.

Sl prot is terrible to say a dh or bear.

Shield block does nothing for dot and spell damage and they are our main weaknesses.

Bastion prot is miles above others but still meh to other classes.

Damage is no good if we melt.

Raid tanking we are decent but m+ we will still be meh.

As others have said ip needs buffed or changed

Legion was the best rage model for sure. It made sense and scaled well with raid boss damage. Also, big shout out to the Tier set 2+2 combo of 80 Rage on demand and five shield slams during battle cry!

daella: i agree totally. Abit more damage is allways welcome but our survivalbility is really bad, i will find no joy in doing better dps if i die 2 seconds later. As og yesterday i got some help in a post i authored and i see how many mistakes ive made, post i made is «(forget warrior)» will not forget it now but i will cycle between fury and prot since i now will have both bis legos for both speccs (not the one wearing now)

I don’t know what’s your goal is, 15+ Key or maybe even more, but I am aiming to 15Keys only, and yesterday did my first 14++ (at 208ilvl) without any bloody issues at survivability with 3.1k DPS (not having full DPS bulid, rather most recommended for M+ but weak weapon still).
All I want to say is that I totally agree that VDH or Bear are meme tanks, because you can roll your face on keyboard and still time keys… prot warr requires better preparation, but I don’t find it weak - although this week is very easy, but on other hand I am quite behind on ilvl still.

1 Like

Well, I´m Guardian Druid and I can tell you 2 things.

First one - You are right, in M+2-15 we are really facepalm tanks - I think, that we are a lot stronger than VDHs there, which is great :smiley: … Our survivality is insane - our dmg doesn´t really matter there for tanks.

Second, I´m pushing something higher (18-20) and I can tell you, that dmg really matters from tanks (or kiting with range dps from tanks - aka VDHs + your healer can dps too with VDH, Guardians cant kite well, we have only Vortex or Typhoon, depending on Affinity + Soulshape, if Fae). And if you did 3.1k in +14, gratz then, because Im geared and even if the M+ run is perfect (I mean, really perfect with big pulls - 3/4 packs), my overall dps is lower than yours.

Blood DKs and Guardians need seriously +dmg buff, because we have a problem with agro as hell (Maybe BDKs not, because they have at least tools for AoE Threat, guardian got only Trash with 6sec cd and swipe, which deals lower dmg than my autoattack … ).

You can choose, ST or AoE/AoE burst, its bad. Because if Incarnate is not ready (Or at least Convoke in bear form if Fae), we have serious problem with agro if we dont have Hunter or Rogue for Misdirect.

But, I can understand, why they hesitates to buff our dmg, because it will directly enhance our survibality even further via UFR.

Well it depends if you play other tanks to compare. I mean, you can’t truly argue that, say, paladin is worse or dru is better, if your only exp comes from guides/forums/tube aka not your own PoV. I don’t do high end content (+10-12 a few times+HC raid), but I do play 3 tanks (Warr/Pally/DK) at the same lvl atm and I can tell the difference. I don’t think myth+ is a good example since it’s different all the time. I think the best would be Sludgefist HC which I did with my guild, exactly same setup with both Pwar and Ppal. Warrior did actually take less dmg across the fight idd. Like 25% or so according to logs. Approx 600 less dmg/hit than my paladin. But it was also a huge pain. I was totally dependant on my healers and there were times when they could not spam heals on me. And that was scary af bc I knew I had no tools to survive. Those windows with no SB/CDs up were also painfull since IP was blown right away. On my pally, on the other hand, I did take more dmg, yes. But I also knew I had a 1 min cheatdeath, 2 immunities, LoH. Let alone regular tools like SotR/WoG. Yes, SotR is a weak AM. But it’s almost permanent with right talents/stats/legos. Ability to frequently heal yourself for like 30-40% HP was also invaluable. Warrior may have decent HoT-like heal through Indomitable, but it rly lacks that chunky burst heal to buy time in critical situations. And I think ppl will agree - it’s burst dmg that kills tanks, not sustained. If, say, Pwar had both Indom and IV, it would be another story. PWar is not THAT bad as some ppl say, but it IS worse than other tanks. In the end, unless you die a lot, dmg intake is not an issue. Things like utility, dmg etc become more important.

Well this is actually a pretty outdated concept like it or not. Nowdays even mages, hunts, rogues have decent self-heals, let alone tanks. It’s not as terrific as it was in Leg or BFA, but tanks now have a good chunk of control over their own fate. Good thing IMO. Helps separating good and bad performers along with making tanking more attracting. It’s just that warr’s concept is opposite to another tank that always has balance issuses - BDK. Somehow, it’s always either bad or godlike with Blizz tunings.

If you’re taking more damage with a Warrior vs. Sludgefist you’re playing badly. Warrior is the absolute best on that fight. You can even play Heavy Repercussions if you’re not bothered about damage and block almost 90% of his attacks.

Total nonsense, man. Particularly on the example boss you gave. You’re probably just more used to playing Paladin.