New PC for WOW BFA: Intel or Ryzen?

Intel doesn’t use RAM the same way as AMD. You can check if GamersNexus, Hardware Unboxed or other similar good source did some benchmarks on it but it’s unlikely to benefit in any valuable level from very high frequency RAM. Latency also matters.

Hi guys!

Thank you very much for all the replies. I still haven’t decided completely whether I should go for Intel or for AMD. I would go with an Intel as they have the best gaming performance at the moment.

But the Intel system is based on some older technologies and will be updated with the series 10 in the beginning of 2020. So I dont know if it makes much sense to invest in a Intel series 9 System at the moment.

I was wondering if its better to take an AMD 3000series instead and accept that there will be a few frames less.

And even if the Intel 10series that is gonna be released early 2020 is performing much better, I could sell my system and upgrade. Therefore I guess the latest AMD 3000 series would sell better than the old Intel 9 series?

I also thought about taking a better graphics card such as the RTX 2080 Super, to power the 144Hz 1440p GSync Monitor properly.

That depends. Wherever AMD or Intel allow you to reach like +10 FPS in a game - can you use those FPS by having a display with fast enough refresh rate? Is it worth the money? 9900K or 9900KF aren’t bad, but are they worth the money?

Desktop Intel chips will be on 14nm until 2021 or later… and you know Intel - any new CPU line = new motherboard. And when stuck on 14nm they can’t have drastic improvements. AM4 has likely at least one more generation on AM4 although chipset compatibility may matter. There are some rumors indicating Zen 3 for next year and Zen 4 for 2021 but it’s still unclear if they will refresh the whole lineup as usual.
As for quick upgrades - usually single generation upgrades aren’t worth it. If you go with 9900K/KF then any meaningful upgrade will be when they release something 20-25%+ better which is 2-3 generations likely. Similarly GPU - 1080 Ti is very good while taking price into consideration there is no meaningful upgrade in Turing lineup.

Depends. If you play a lot of shooters and similar split second reaction time games then 144Hz or faster is “recommended”. If not I would go with image quality first, maybe even ultrawide (what I use for WoW for example). RX 5700 XT crushed RTX 2070 Super price/performance while we know there is at least one bigger Navi coming which may challenge RTX 2080 or even 2080 Ti (the big Navi with RT and RDNA 2) - so GPU market will see some price changes, new products which may make buying now bit unfun for the customers.

Still you can check prices of used GTX 1080 Ti :smile:

Much above a GTX 16xx - or AMD equivalent - is going to be wasted on WoW, with 2 provisos:

Are you likely to be playing WoW at 4K in the next few years?
If you play other - newer - games, do you play them as much as or more than WoW?

If both are yes, then you’ll get more use out of a 20xx-series - or AMD equivalent - graphics card.
If either of those is no, then stick to no ‘better’ than a 16xx… channel the value difference into a faster CPU, NVMe SSD’s or more RAM; in that order.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.