Newbie Questions

Hi all,

So I’ve never played WOW before, but after the first week I’m at Level 18 and really enjoying it.

I can imagine it would be more fun as you progress and can play with friends etc.

I have a couple of questions about my chosen Rogue.
I’ve tried for the first time a few of the player v player battles, but I’ve noticed that other players have such a crazy range of skills and attacks on opponants from afar, whereas I need to run right up to then before I can use my abilities, I seem to die every 2 seconds.

I was hoping for some general advice as I find the abilities etc so confusing when all I seem to be able to do if use my weapons up close. Is this because I’m only Level 18 ? In which should I level up before playing battles?

G

2 Likes

It’s not easy to play rogue in PvP as a new player. You have tons of cc and other utility you’re supposed to be using to keep enemy players in control and to be in range to attack them. Seeing as you are level 18, there isn’t exactly that much depth to it yet, and you’re probably fighting against players who have heirlooms which helps as well. On top of that they’re obviously more experienced and are going to perform better.

It’s going to get a lot more complicated to PvP as a rogue at a higher level, but you can learn it for sure. It’s just not the easiest thing to get into. And generally speaking, pvp is a little bit harder to learn at the start (I guess it’s subjective though).

Your best bet right now is to use stealth to get in close to your enemies, sap a healer or someone nearby and then attack someone. Don’t 1v1 people, move in with your team. They shouldn’t have that many options to get away from you once you’ve opened on them from stealth at that level.

1 Like

Are you on a trial account?

1 Like

Thanks for the replies.

Yes I’m still using a trial account.

When I’m in battle I do try and keep with the group and use stealth. How do I know what players are healers? I’ve always found this confusing.

Second to that I’ll continue to quest and level up. I like the aspects so far of being a rouge so I hope they can actually fight well when you have a high enough level?

1 Like

Which opponents are healers?

Check out this addon:
https://www.curseforge.com/wow/addons/h-h-t-d

Rogue is probably the top DPS class overall at highest levels of dungeon, and top or near in PvP. Blizzard go through nerfing and buffing cycles for all classes, but Rogues and Mages always seem to have at least one very capable spec.

1 Like

Thanks.

I never knew how you know who was who in a battle.

How do you download this? I didnt know you could download things to the game.
Does it need special installation?

Sorry this is so new!

1 Like

Don’t be sorry!

Addons are a big thing in WoW. They allow you to customise your screen, and they can do other useful things for you. You will learn, and get used to them.

There are two ways to install addons from Curse:

1. Install the Curse Client (now the Twitch Client). If you do this, it will automatically keep all of your addons up to date. Curse offers you the option to install its client every time you do a download.

2. Download the file, and UNZIP it into the right directory.

On your PC, you have a World of Warcraft directory somewhere. it’s likely in

C:\World of Warcraft or

C:\Programs\World of Warcraft

inside that there is a _retail_ directory, and inside that there is Interface and inside that there is Addons

So something like

C:\Programs\World of Warcraft\_retail_\Interface\Addons

if you unzip the addon file inside there, it creates a new directory inside your Addons, and puts the addon in there, and then that addon is available for you to use.

You can turn addons on and off in the game with the Addons button in your main menu.

You can change the settings for an addon in main menu ->Interface, and select the Addons tab at the top, or by typing the addon’s name in chat as a slashy command. In this case it would be /hhtd

4 Likes

Well don’t worry about dieing and rouge is master class in PvP and pve.

Still you are low lvl so you don’t have access to all spells and abilities + other players have heirlooms(special gears better than yours) and twinks(best gear at that lvl). As a new player don’t even think about defeat them.

Just keep doing questing+dungeons and reach Max lvl(120) first. If people are killing you too often then go-to ogrimaar and turn Warmode off.

1 Like

Welcome to WoW, Gemzee!

As you see, there’s lots of new things to learn here, not least because in the grand scheme of things you’re still only low level. You’ll get a lot more skills as you continue to level up that will end up being gap closers, crowd control, interrupts and other tools to help you fight players and monsters alike.

Thank you everyone for contributing and welcoming a new player to our community <3.

5 Likes

Thanks guys,

Is it wise to keep leveling up, or can you get a boost to 110 I’ve been reading about?

When in those pvp battles, how do you keep changing targets? I find it hard for my rogue to find someone to sneak up on as everyone moves so fast!

1 Like

Do not, do not , do not boost your first character.

Boosts are handy for people returning to the game after an expansion or two. Boosts are great for people who want a new class at max level fast because their raid needs that class. Boosts are convenient for people who want to start on a different server.

Boosts are bad for beginners.

I’ve been watching this Newcomers forum for a long time. One of the recurring problems has been new people who boost, and are then lost and disoriented and alienated. They usually leave, or put their boosted character away and start from level 1 again. It always makes me sad.

It’s not just how to play a class at 120; it’s all the little things you learn along the way - geography, vendors, bags, travel, UI and addons and macros, XP, trade, communication, buffs, passives, roles. And then the systems you sign up for at max level are a bit elaborate anyhow, but when you have no grounding in the game before it, they really seem pointlessly complicated.

As for targets, either Tab to change targets or click on nameplates. There’s no super secret. But people do move fast. :slight_smile:

5 Likes

That’s actually super helpful advise thank you.
It makes alot of sense wat you say, I think I got annoyed because there’s no much I don’t understand but half the fun should be about learning all that as I go on right? :slight_smile:

What about when I have quests and I need to fight more than one mob at a time - my character currently struggles with this due to my level. Or is there a way I can fight two people at the same time?

1 Like

Yeah, a 120 boost doesn’t come with a brain implant containing all the stuff you need to know before you start on max-level content. :slight_smile:

And it really is the freshest, most enjoyable time you’ll ever have!

As for taking on two mobs at once … I have a miles-long rant about the way the game currently matches player power with opponents, but it’s not relevant to you now.

As a rogue, when your gear is weak, when you come across two, stealth, sap one, kill the other, then finish off the one you sapped. Vanish if you get into trouble. Your Crimson Vial should help with its heal.

Your gear is weak right now. You haven’t yet picked up head, neck, shoulder, or either trinket, and because the game is expecting you to have those (well maybe only one trinket) by level 26, you are currently being penalised for your lack of gear by facing mobs tuned for somebody that has them.

When those slots fill in, it will get easier. Your strength against mobs now has nothing to do with your level, but only how good your gear is for your level - and missing those slots, it is a lot harder than it should be.

As you level, you will also unlock more abilities. Those will help too.

Once you hit 120, you can start really powering up. :slight_smile:

If you feel you’re hitting a blank wall and making no progress, post again. Someone here can help! But it’s more satisfying if you can get through by yourself.

1 Like

I’ve started DCUO before and used a boost in it, and I was lost for a while, I get free points and am up to 32k in that game. When it came out I bought the version where you didn’t need to pay the monthly fee. I wish I had with Warcraft but I never found one.

The reason I asked about if you are on a free account is that I have some characters on CoA which I don’t play any more and could send you some stuff. One thing I have noticed is that your off hand needs replacing, Since you are now 27 I will take a look and send you some stuff.

Do you have any professions? If you played combat I have some more weapons but they won’t work well with assassination.

1 Like

I’ve trying to progress quickly so I can get more armor you talk about.
I’ve just learned “seal fate” but without lock on or off I can’t drag it onto my action bar.

Is there a helpful beginner guide for this? Currently I’m using keys 1-0 so I’m not sure how to add more spells.

What does it mean that my off hand needs replacing? Can I buy weapons? I try and repair them when I see a trade person is that not enough?

Thanks for the support so far

1 Like

Don’t rush! You don’t have to progress quickly. :slight_smile:

Progress at your own pace. End game will give you more than plenty of “hurry up and wait”. :smiley:

Action bars … here’s a video. I have set the link to the poing in the video where he enables his extra action bars. Feel free to watch the whole thing though if you’re interested.

If it’s in WoW, there is a video of it on YouTube!

You can see your character here:

Your off-hand is Disciple’s Stein of the Aurora. Notice that its main stat is Intellect, and it has no Agility. The Stamina, Haste, and Versatility do you some good, but without Agility, this is not what you want. As Assassination, you want a dagger with Agility.

You can buy weapons but at your level it’s counter-productive. Anything that would be good for you will be too expensive for you. Dottie will be sending you some stuff; there may be something useful there. Just keep an eye out, and the next quest that offers to reward you a Dagger with Agility, grab it!

DON’T WORRY ABOUT DOING SOMETHING WRONG!

That’s what this phase at lower level is for, so that you can find these things out bit by bit at your own pace.

I’m going to give you a couple of links below that are very useful, though there will be much more information than you can take in or relate to yet.

https://www.wowhead.com/ - go here when you want to know anything about quests or items in the gamem and search.

https://www.icy-veins.com/wow/assassination-rogue-pve-dps-guide - go here later on, when you want to learn about how best to play your rogue. It’s far too advanced for you yet though.

2 Likes

Not just that, as far as I’m aware you cannot cause damage with it at all. You have one hand only doing damage, that off hand is called a stat stick as it’s only use is to boost stats, did you get my stuff in the post? Most inns have postboxes outside them.

I believe “seal fate” is passive skill, as in you don’t click on it or use it, it sits in the background doing stuff.

What else I do is assign my forward and back mouse buttons to the - and = then put my main attacks there and use my mouse wheel button as my interrupt, in your case “kick”. Most people can’t reach beyond 5 on the keyboard.

I also assign the second bar to Shift-1, Shift-2 etc so I press the shift button with my little finger to use extra attacks and skills, don’t forget the `¬ button too, I use that for attacks that hit more than one person.

You can add more bar by pressing escape going into “interface” and “action bars” and ticking the boxes.

1 Like

Welcome to the family, i’d agree with everyone on here boosting at this stage is a bad idea as you want to slowly learn the skills that you get/have as time goes on as if you get an extra 20 skills all of a sudden you will be lost and you’ll have no idea how to play the class.

I usually turn on Bar 1, Bar 2, Bar 3 and Bar 4. Bar 3 and 4 sit down the side of the screen with my hearthstone, food, potions etc…

I also use a mouse with 6 buttons so i assign a button for stealth etc… also as i have enabled the two bars that appear at the bottom of the screen, i use 1 - 0 for the first main skills and then CTRL 1 - 0 for the second set, as i am a lefty it’s easy to hold ctrl with my thumb and hit the numbers.

I might get a little stung for this but Twitch addon has loads of addons that you can install to the game to changes pretty much everything or make your life easier. This however can put more strain on the speed it runs and you can spend hours looking through everything.

Good luck

1 Like

Do I go to any inn in the game? :slight_smile:

You have all been so helpful.

I purchase a 6 button mouse yesterday :slight_smile:
I’m going to read through all these tips, suggestions and help and drop back in a week or so hopefully with alot more knowledge so I don’t bore you all!

So glad it’s such a friendly community - II’m really looking forward to learning more!

1 Like

Yes, most villages and towns have at least one. Usually just outside the door. They vary in how they look but all make the cursor turn to a letter when you mouse over them.