Nobody Rolls a Character to play a Victim

Hello everyone.

I was reading some US forums and this seemed very spot on.
But there’s also a link to Ion’s interview, which is interesting.

"In Vanilla/Classic WoW you get the feeling that your efforts from leveling genuinely assist the race you chose at the login screen. You fight off bandits, gather supplies for settlements, root out corruption, uncover Defias and Burning Blade conspiracies. Stop Dark Irons from bombing dams and bridges, confront the Horde’s dark past in Blackrock Mountain. Etc. You roll a character and become a hero to that race.

What you don’t intend to do is become a hapless victim for an over-dramatic cut-scene where your homeland is invaded, most of the people you help are butchered, and your capital reduced to ashes. You don’t intend to roll a character of Thrall’s new Horde and then be forced to go along with Garrosh or Windrunner’s asinine plots to murder innocents and ransack the land. You don’t play World of Warcraft to have the World be ravaged by a D-List villain in the form of Deathwing just so a bastardized version of Thrall can come in and save the day.

Victim of a fruitless faction war. Victim of inconsistent and theme-destroying cartoon villains for leaders. Victims of the writer’s obsession with tearing down a world in order to garner a cheap shock from their playerbase. I want to be a hero of Warcraft, I rolled a character to be as such. People did not roll Night Elves and Worgen to be refugees. People did not roll Orcs, Trolls and Tauren to be mindless henchmen for cartoon villains. People want to play Warcraft to save Azeroth, not be victims."

44 upvotes.

"On the other hand OP, you don’t want a stagnant and never changing world (or if you do that’s why Classic is here). Races shouldn’t be immune to negative storytelling just because they are playable. If players identify so strongly with their played race that’s a credit to the game’s immersive qualities such as they are.

I think what really bothers you and bothers a lot of people (quite rightly) is that Blizzard should not have broached the topic of genocide the way they did (very cavalierly), especially a genocide perpetrated by playable races on playable races, especially not the way they went about it, and especially not the way they have treated that topic for going on an entire year since it happened. I believe Ion was being very wise when he called it “exploitative.”

I’m not sure how they will get themselves out of this, but I hope they approach story beats like that with a little more forethought next time."

15 upvotes.

" When I ask Hazzikostas about the developer’s intent on putting this on Horde players, and if they think it can go too far, he briefly hesitates.

“It’s a heavy responsibility, and it’s not one that anyone on the team takes lightly,” he says. “Our aim in storytelling is always to evoke emotion. If that goes too far, it can feel exploitative, it can feel like players are caught in a situation they don’t want to be in. We want people to stick around, to play with their friends, and to see the end of the story we’re telling.”

For players, they’ve spent months dealing with the burden of Darnassus. For characters like Tauren druids, or Blood Elf paladins, this can feel like an overwhelming loss of agency. Many Horde players are also concerned because a similar tale played out two expansions ago in Mists of Pandaria , with Garrosh Hellscream. For these players, the second corrupt Warchief in under five years might suggest that the Horde they have been playing under for a decade or more is broken, and not worth defending.

Hazzikostas is aware of the parallels to Garrosh’s story, and he says that the Horde is too.

“There are a couple of references here and there,” he says. “There are more coming. Members of the Horde leadership will remember going down dark paths before.”

I added the rest of the polygon interview:

"He also notes that Garrosh’s motives were different; they were an attempt to restore a lost vision of the Horde at the expense of everything else. Sylvanas’ goals are still unclear, but Hazzikostas notes, “There will not be a trial where she is in chains. Sylvanas is not a character who would find herself in that situation … ever.”

As for player choice, more decisions will come in the future. “It won’t be something we do lightly,” he says. “We do it when the story makes sense, and we do it when there are real consequences and real follow through.”

The team intends to avoid “false” choices, or the illusion of a branching narrative. Hazzikostas also hints at an interesting possibility for the Alliance’s future narrative: “In this case, it felt right for the Horde. Alliance don’t have that same division in their ranks just yet, and there isn’t that same natural point of choice.”

What’s your opinion ?

Thanks for your attention.
Cheers.

2 Likes

This is how I feel after new info about new Undead Night Elves, and after words that Night Elves “had their revenge” for Teldrassil.
I was a fan of Night Elves, and DAMN I had spend 12 years of my life in this game. 12 years!
Some new players did not born yet, when I was starting to play.

I cannot explain how hard I was disappointed in BfA story. How hard I was disappointed about how Blizzard treat Night Elves in this game. Punch after punch, never enjoy.
But your deeds says more than the words. After 12 years of playing, yesterday I finally have canceled my subscription. I had enough.

btw but I will check Blizzcon. Maybe Blizzard will be able to change my mind.

5 Likes

That they often don’t mind cornering players, for as long as they think that said experience will make it feel personal and make the player in question be more “invested” in the narrative.
Regardless of how bad said narrative turns out to be, or how little they do in order to then help said player out of the bad situation.

More often than not, they greatly underestimate the repercussions of the stories written that way, as they seem to not think ahead of the immediate consequences of said events. Mainly because they think short-term and only seem to know of the “shock value” effect.

6 Likes

Not being nitpicker here, but humans know how it feels to have known NPCs and friends raised as undead enemies against theme since Cataclysm. This extra Nightelf salt is hyperbole here.

3 Likes

But think why only Night Elves? Why not dwarfs, draenei or gnomes?
Why only Night Elves characters becomes Sylvanas dogs?

I share this opinion. People choose races for their aesthetics, lore and looks, but in the end they get only their looks, since everything else is being slowly replaced with humans and orcs.

3 Likes

Draenei have been at the receiving end with Orcs since TBC (and from a story point of view, even before that).

Humans and Gilneans suffered similarly during Cataclysm at the hands of the Forsaken.

The prosecution complex is becoming rather unreasonable. Plenty races are being butchered with this story.
I’m not trying to take away the valid grievances the Night elf race is having with BfA, but its time to start realising that when seeing the whole picture, they are hardly the only ones being mistreated in the current plot.
And their current issues are ones that plenty other races have suffered prior. From both sides.

7 Likes

But it’s time to see that nelf fans think that they suffered at most (in the past aswell). That’s the whole reason for the big crying here.

:thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking::thinking:

Without turning this into another Night Elven crying thread, because frankly there’s so many lately, I think it’s quite rather ironic of developer professional stance saying all these things and not really acting on them.

Or if they did, they’re not having the desired effect. Like someone who doesn’t appreciate legitimate criticism and only handpicks the pluses.

3 Likes

Aaand there we have it, really. There’s no negativity in the Blizzard dojo, just a whole lot of back patting for all the cool and awesome moments they’re writing.

2 Likes

Because noone would care about them. Together with A pandaren and worgen we’re still waiting for someone important for the story that isn’t the leader.
Oh no, they burned down IF and now unknown dwarf #20 and unknown gnome #36 are undead loyal to Sylvanas. Damn Horde bias, they already killed of unknown draenei #14 in Nazmir and the well known Worgen that was never mentioned before, but he surely was a good man.

3 Likes

IF is the coolest capital, though… But I’d like to see how well it burns. I mean… it’s a city that already has rivers of lava and molten metal running through it. There is a reason why it’s not build out of wood.

5 Likes

With Blizz’s trackrecord i would trust them to 100% unironically have every piece of rock in IF catch fire and burn to ash without an explanation because continuity and logic aren’t supposed to tie the hands of creators.

4 Likes

Yeah, sorry. I forgot that WoW is based on logic. I guess I have to go to Silithus and take a look at Sargeras’ hundreds of meters huge sword, that has no impact on the planet Azeroth while thinking about normal things like undead Nelfs, that join Sylvanas without hestiation, LF forsaken, someone who’s been under water for years having a less rotten body when resurrected than someone 1 minute after his death, or Zul setting nearly whole SW in flames in seconds with a single torch.

8 Likes

Someone who’s been under water for years AND was burnt to ashes before that :smirk:
Damn, I really want an undead dwarf now.

5 Likes

It would be fun to see a Q&A where story fans, would come up and start asking about plot holes and contradictions in BfA.

I bet we would see a show that it would last for hours.

Cheers.

2 Likes

Cause apparently killing Kobolds aimlessly without a story or quest, to level up is way more “dramatic”

LMAO

2 Likes

There’s nothing wrong with playing a victimized race, in my opinion. In fact, if done right it can be truly empowering. The problem is getting it done right.

There is an excellent quote that can be applied to modern WoW:

Flawed and false storytelling is forced to substitute spectacle for substance, trickery for truth. Weak stories, desperate to hold audience attention, degenerate into multimillion-dollar razzle-dazzle demo reels.
– Robert McKee, 1997

Giant sword in Azeroth, anyone? The burning of Teldrassil was not a stroke of narrative genius. It was made for the shock value.

6 Likes

Really depends if it feels like the story is going nowhere and it’s just unending misery for the sake it, I doubt there is a big market for that. Which I think the OP was getting at. Otherwise I agree.

The night elves are victims now? Of genocide? They still seem to be one of the most populated races in the game and a lot of alliance leaders, guards and soldiers are night elves. How are they a dying race? And going by the lore there’s probably less void elves, nightborne or maghar and they are in no danger of dying out.

I’d rather go back to small time stories too, but I don’t think any player character is a “victim”. Quite the contrary. Every single one of us is the chosen one champion of azeroth after all.

People want the factions and the faction conflict, that means they have to eventually write a war into the story. Wars have victims. It’s already very unbelievable how few victims this war actually has. After the war against the legion and this one it’s a wonder the horde or alliance still have these endless waves of cannonfodder soldiers left to send into battle, but they somehow do. There’s really very little suffering in this war compared to how war really goes.

If we don’t want that we need to get rid of factions and all become heroes that just want to save azeroth, faction pride be damned.

2 Likes