NPC dialogue, voice acting lagging

I just started playing bfa, and I’ve been experiencing this annoying problem where whenever there is some NPC VA, the script reads normally, whether it is dialogues or popup portraits, but the VA won’t play until some time later, where it’s smooshed together with the VA that followed, one playing over the other. I can’t figure if this is due to my specs, my internet connection, my addons, or if it’s a bug.

My specs:
Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. B250M-DS3H-CF
Intel Pentium G4560 @ 3.50GHz
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1050
223GB KINGSTON SA400S37240G
8GB RAM

My addons:
AzeriteTooltip
Hekili
WeakAuras 2
Bagnon
Archy
Dominos
GTFO
TomTom
Details! Damage Meter
and also Zygor

It is somewhat unlikely for the internet connection to influence this (as all VO is produced locally on the PC), and we’re not aware of bugs in this regard - but addons and system specs are indeed pretty good calls for the issue at hand.

I’m just going to name the elephant in the room: the CPU in the PC technically speaking does not actually meet the official requirements of the game*, and given audio processing is a very CPU-related task it is quite possible that this has an influence here. Some Addons lean pretty heavily on the CPU as well so chances are they may be exacerbating the issue here, if not actually causing parts of it themselves.

I’d definitely recommend to run the game completely without addons to see if this improves matters at all, following these instructions. There is likely going to be a limit to how good this can be based on what the CPU can do, but hopefully it’ll be at least better than whats currently happening. :slight_smile:

*Since this may cause some confusion: the G4560 does have pretty good raw performance - but official support is for “Core” models when it comes to Intel.

1 Like