Old Essence grind in 8.3 for new/returning players

There is not that many returning players for 8.3 to worth destroying essence progression for current players. If expansion sucks from very beggining people dont tend to return no matter of changes. Its like ok we changed essence system and 100 people what returned manage to cath up. But we lost 50 people becouse they got sick of how their progress and effort got destroyed again. Not bad we still got 50 more people right? No you dont becouse those people what have quit befor 8.2 will also quit in 8.3 in less than month becouse if 8.2, 8.1 or expansion didnt retain them. 8.3 will also not retain them. They are seasonal players what will not play your game for long period of time and its not worth change game for them. It is better to keep players what you alredy have.

New players should be encouraged to play the game by the abundance of quality content in it
and not by bypassing everything regular players and subs have grinded for

making the essences account wide and allowing alts to use unlocked essences with 1 rank lower as Puny suggested many times would be a good move for all players

2 Likes

Can we stop pretending you NEED your rank 3 bis essences for “content you want to play”? Just for a moment. You know mythic EP (at least partially) was cleared with r2 essences and even with 2 essence slots?

If these returning people refuse to spent 15-20 minutes daily in Nazjatar or Mechagon for like 2 weeks to get revered and r3 essence (talking about 8.3 where requirements are nerfed) then they are probably playing a wrong game. This is an mmorpg, not moba.

You can get r2 iris for m+7 the day you hit 120, you can get r2 CaS for 2 hours max playing arena (from next weekly chest), you got r3 flame in like 2 days of being 120, you get Mechagon essence for spending 1 hour in Mechagon.

Once again, don’t pretend not having essences is smt which you NEED to do content. You are just lazy and you want everything on a silver platter, nothing more.

1 Like

It does, I just got it on my alt, right as we’re taking a almost 2 month long raiding break. What a usefull grind. When I finally got it, I no longer have any use for it, at least for a while(?).

You cant be serious.

So you rather spent time on doing old content instead to participate into the brand new content that 8.3 has to offer?

This argument makes no sense and wont encourage anyone to return or change characters.

But if you feel that way, lets remove the max level boost you get from purchasing a xpac.

Leveling is only a few hours of work from 110 to 120.
Gearing any char is just a few hours of work so lets remove catch up gear.

Making something silly as essences more easily to acquire doesnt ruin the game balance or completely destroys the direct gameplay.

1 Like

Grinding essences is not fun.

Grinding gear is fun.

1 Like

No it’s not gear. Gear is something visible that you equip and that has stats on it and that doesn’t have to be unlocked by doing and endless grind (i don’t count exalted gear from faction vendors becaus noone cares for 340 ilvl gear). Essences are a power that you infuse a specific kind of gear with. There is a difference.

And how exactly does it ruin your character progression? (hint: it doesn’t).

2 Likes

I doubt essences will be useless in 8.3 tbh, they’ll probably still be quite useful.

No it’s blizzard putting every player that had an alt before 8.2.5 in a difficult situation, no one wanted essences people just wanted good class design, but they gave them to us and killed alts for a lot of people. People are just asking to return alts how they were in 8.2, without the need to grind random content for weeks.

1 Like

But don’t want to farm rep, i was sick of world quests in legion and i started playing in 7.3.5, why should such big upgrades require weeks of boring repetitive grinds that have nothing to do with what i actually want to do in the game? reps already had plenty of rewards, there was no need to add power progression behind it.

Your definition of gear is wanting.

visible - Excludes rings, trinkets, necklaces. Right, so we can scratch it being visible off the definition

has stats - Not all gear in wow has had stats. Some has simply had active effects (on use) or powerful passives, some trinkets for example. They are no longer gear? Using stats as a measurement of gear is false.

I’d recommend a definition like:
“Gear is something you can equip and unequip onto your character, and offers your character potential enhancement and power across mediums which may include things such as stat enhancements and access to passive and active abilities. Most gear can be progressed, meaning it can be replaced by gear more powerful than it is.”

This definition covers all basic gear, plus oddball trinkets, rings, necks and also essences. Essences are gear. You equip them on your char, and they give you power. That’s what gear is.

It doesn’t matter that it’s via a socket system in a neck slot, it’s still gear. It’s a lootable object which you can equip and unequip and changes your power in doing so, therefore it is gear. I don’t understand what is so hard to understand about this.

When relics were in the game for paladins, were they not gear? they offered no stats most of the time and simply gave you a passive buff. According to your definition, if a paladin was looting one, they were not looting gear. So what were they looting and equipping? An “enhancement”? Why convolute the matter when a proper definition of gear covers both?

*coff coff *

Essences are not “old content”. They are and will be relevant till Shadowlands. Why should people get them free while others had to grind them? At 8.3 getting “old” essences will be much easier than it is now. Exalted --》revered is a huge skip. You need revered for pathfinder anyway.

As I said if you are not able to spend 15-20 minutes a day in Nazjatar/Mecha then go play League of Legends or other mobas.

Mmorpgs are grinding no matter what mmorpg you play. If you don’t like that don’t play this genre.

Jesus man, what weeks of repetitive grinding are u talking about? 20 minutes a day for WQs in Nazjatar is “grinding” for you? You have no idea what grinding is.

I know what grinding is, i grinded things, things i wanted and liked. 20 minutes every day for weeks is a boring repetitive grind. It’s also badly designed and time gated. that you like it or not it is weeks because it’s all time gated.

1 Like

If you consider 20 minutes a day grind I really don’t know what to say.

Nvm, they are not going to change it anyway. So either suck it up or leave the game.

It is not the time it takes daily that makes it a grind, it’s the fact that you need to do it for weeks that makes one, also the fact that there are a lot of essences and all of them require the same or more grinding/time commitment

1 Like

basically what i’m doing, i log only for raid nights, don’t do emissaries and haven’t preordered shadow lands.

1 Like

Everything requires time commitment. Gear improves your character just like essences. There is no reason to give essences for free. People could ask for a free gear for alts then. Because why would I have to farm gear for alt? I already did EP 20 times, its boring and repetitive, give me free gear from there …

Because the gear you need to get to do he content you like comes from the content you like. Also remember that this things stack on top of each other, one now has to get both gear and essences. Look at my previous comment on why essences are not gear.

1 Like