One Horde. One vassal. One Azeroth

That’s why i said that i was looking beyond the post’s wording itself.

There are indeed some valid points, and even if i would’ve personally said it in other ways, OP does have a point from my point of view:
BfA story seems to heavily validate a specific segment of the playerbase. And that segment isn’t Horde.

And yes, i know that the handling of the story has definitely mistreated several Alliance plots and characters. Night elves, how certain characters behave around Anduin…

Still, i too feel (like Erevien), that the overarching story punishes the Horde more viciously.

Even the honourable side had to start making concessions about the faction being a wrong organism since its conception.
And we are not talking about Voldemort “Muahahahing” out of scene.

EDIT: In short, i agree with the message behind the post. Not exactly to the point of calling it “Bias”, but i do think that the Horde was F*****d more to prop an Alliance-leaning message.

3 Likes

Blizzard: Literally redraws an entire zone so that it creates an enormous Horde symbol on the World Map

Horde Fanboys: Wehhhh Blizzard is biased towards Alliance because our repeated efforts to commit genocide are foiled :((

Blizzard: Am I a joke to you?

8 Likes

I think it is up for debate whether or not the Horde suffered more, less or the same as the Alliance and it probably depends more on the person you are.

I can just as easily swing the “Alliance suffered more” point as they are the foil to the Horde. I can argue this entire expansion has been about the Horde dealing with their internal issues again and the Alliance is just there as a means for that to happen.

Both sides got shafted, and depending on what you think will depend on what who you think has it worse off.

2 Likes

Not to her own race or faction. Just the Alliance. The message gives to forsaken fans here is that if you dare to be mean to the other side you should feel bad about yourself despite 15 years of development saying otherwise. Even classic is straight forward with this. Undead aren’t nice. This is a massive retcon that wasn’t there before bfa and BTS.

2 Likes

Let me ask a genuine question: Would you rather Blizzard ignored the whole thing with Night elves and handwave it as Sylvanas fault, even if it meant closing that particular chapter in the Night elf story without having them being protagonists…or have a fully fledged story about Tyrande turning into a villain and having Anduin fight her openly and probably either kill her; or villain bat her out of the faction?

Because those are quite plausible outcomes as of now. With the former being what could arguably be tagged as “Alliance in BfA” and the later as “Horde in BfA”.

Which one would you rather have? Which one do you think is more positive?

EDIT: And yes, i do agree on the fact that arguing on “Who has it worse” becomes often rather subjective. In this case, i agree with Erevien that the Horde takes the prize.

1 Like

We all suffered.
You think I like the narrative becoming the Forsaken need to be saved? Please. It’s as insulting to Forsaken as forgiving Horde on Anduin’s orders is to Alliance.
We all suffered.

But I don’t care anymore where this story is going. I went to the Undercity and logged out and went to play classic. Yesterday I spent an hour looking for the last named quest-mob and I enjoyed it. And yes, I made a new Forsaken warlock and my name was still available too!

4 Likes

No. The message is that if you commit genocide you’re evil and that you shouldn’t do it. There’s nothing mysterious or deep.

7 Likes

If I had to choose… Hmmm. Is not picking any of them an option? Both of them are trash.

If everything is brushed under the rug like last time then it’ll be bad.

If Tyrande turns evil and fights Anduin to protect the Horde then it’ll be bad.

Do I really have to pick between the two?

1 Like

They are. They definitely are. That’s the point.

Which one do you consider worse? Because those are pretty similar roles to the ones the Alliance and the Horde faced during BfA.

Point is, that regardless of how biased this is going to sound, i think this time around, the Horde definitely seems to have gotten the short stick. A very, very short one.

1 Like

This is what TOXIC PALADINITY looks like, and it’s frickin’ DISGUSTING.

6 Likes

It is hard to say which of them are worse, both of them have different problems and I guess it comes down to which one can have a better outcome and impact of the story.

If this is the outcome for an Alliance story then the stick the Alliance pulled is pretty damn low too.

1 Like

Uh, no.

Blizzard made it very clear that Sylvanas was an enemy of the Horde with the short stories and the “tactics” of the Battle of Lordaeron all being there to show that she was using the Horde, not looking to benefit it.

Just because you were too enamored with the power fantasy aspect of “winning the war” doesn’t mean Blizzard didn’t put the facts out there. She was always the main villain of the expansion for both factions, it’s just that the Horde NPCs were written to be too dumb to notice (looking at Rexxar especially, but Saurfang gets second place because of his absolute stupidity in the short stories).

2 Likes

I have played both Alliance and Horde. I really liked the Horde story. For me their best story so far.
‘The Horde is strong The Horde will endure’.
You can define the Horde through the actions of Saurfang, or Sylvanas i choose Saurfang. I was expecting Saurfang’s death and that kind of ending from the start.
Sylvanas arc isn’t over yet i am waiting to see how it will end.

And yet
‘I grieve for you’

What tactics? Evacuating her people? But please, tell me. I really want to know.

I’m pretty sure there were really few people who thought they were gonna win a war vs the Alliance.

Then why have people keep siding with her?

There’s a lot of dumbing down going on to accommodate this crappy story. But I suppose I can’t expect too much clarity coming from posters who are on the edge of the Horde and the Alliance spectrum.

4 Likes

Nothing to do with that. More like Blizzards inability to write a faction war that is not fully in favor of the alliance by making the Horde start via genocide. Theramore. Teldrassil just the same. If you expect me to feel sorry for punching the other team in the face, than you will be disappointed.

Rexxar did absolutely nothing wrong.

Yes, Blizzard was appealing to me as an Alliance player by nuking two iconic Alliance cities.

I mean, Duh.

2 Likes

The war campaign was a full blown alliance victory. Scepter of tides, zandalari fleet, the raid, etc.

Yes, Blizzard was appealing to me as an Alliance player by making me play a carbon copy of the iconic “fistbump” Varian moment in SoO.

I’m reading all those rants and one thing comes to mind: who in the end of 8.2.5 was supposed to be happy?
Alliance? Not really, again we’re just a background for Horde story. Many people killed, cities burned, no satisfaction at all. Nigt elves got screwed in particular.

Horde rebels? Basically MoP 2.0: Siege Harder. The way I see it people aren’t happy at all.

Sylvanas loyalists? Duped and discarded.

Since 8.3 will be centered around “oh no, it’s N’zoth, whatever we’re going to do?” I don’t hold any high expectations in solving any matters that BFA started. Not that I held any expectations to begin with.

So again, who Blizzard intended to satisfy with such crappy wrap up? Male human paladins excluded because they are always happy as a clam.
Is it that maybe, just maybe, Blizz can’t write a good story anymore?
:thinking:

15 Likes